BBS like its 1996; Door Games, Message Nets & More..
I'd like to invite you all to join the BBS scene of 2020. These single board computers and SoC's are perfect for retro computing, and even running bulletin board systems. However today I'll just help you get logged onto one.

There is still a great ANSI-art scene, with packs being released to this date! http://16colo.rs if you want to view the ANSI scene of 2020. [Viva Blocktronics!!]

The are a few good door game networks these days, as opposed to simply playing door games locally on a BBS we now link them and play on networks like BBSLink or DoorParty. (I run both of those networks on my BBS...)

FidoNet still lives! Also, there are *several* current FTN's, or FidoNet stlye message networks, that are currently active in 2020 with fsxNet being the most popular one by far. Also, Dove-Net is probably a close second... with its focus on Synchronet BBS software. (fsxNet leans more towards Mystic BBS software.)

At any rate you'll need an ANSI-BBS compatible terminal software like SyncTerm or Netrunner... SyncTerm is IMO the better software and is easier to get compiled on ARM computers. I'll walk you thru it, using Manjaro ARM like you have on the PineBook Pro:

First lets handle dependancies... use 'pacman -S' to install:

base-devel
unzip

You also need some curses and SDL dependancies, but they are installed on a Manjaro install.

Then, lets install SyncTerm... (You can head to syncterm.bbsdev.net to read about it yourself, but the following will work from a command line, too.):

(I install from my /Downloads directory.)

wget http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/syncterm-src.tgz
tar xvzf syncterm-src.tgz
[Then head to the directory which might be a little different than my exmaple depending on the date:]
cd syncterm-20200917/src/syncterm
make SRC_ROOT=/home/pinebook/Downloads/syncterm-20200917/src
sudo make install
which syncterm

Now just run syncterm from your GUI or CLI... and make sure in the title bar its running in SDL mode. (This isn't required, but its way better if so.)

You can hit Alt+Enter to go full screen, or drag to size...

You might want to change the following setup options first, with 'hide status line' as the most important:

Default Connection Settings,
connection type = telnet
hide status line
change dl/ul paths, I make mine /Downloads
Program Settings,
confirm exit

Now, just add some BBSes and get to calling! I'd like it if you applied to MY BBS 20 For Beers by pressing 'insert' with the following details:

telnet: 20ForBeers.com
port 1337 (You'll have to press F2 on the entry to edit this after you add.)
Again, be sure hide status line in the entry. This allows you to see all the ANSI art.

Dial in, and type 'meatloaf' when asked for system password - I'm not fully LIVE yet, so a syspass is set.
Hit Esc twice, and enter 'new' to create a new user....

I'll be sure to validate you ASAP!

You can google TELNET BBS LIST for many other (better) BBSes... and if theres interest here, I can tell ya'll the best of the best.

Later, if theres interest, I can writeup how to RUN a BBS.... or, the info is out there...

Come on over and BBS like its 1995!!!
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s

Messages In This Thread
BBS like its 1996; Door Games, Message Nets & More.. - by Paulie420 - 09-17-2020, 02:32 PM