Stable build and updates
Hi,

Up until today I have been using the nightly build with the latest updates as my daily driver which in heindsight, probably was not a good idea seeing as I am the kind of user who loves to tinker with absolutely zero knowledge to back it up.

After @"jed"  in his short but insightful comment "Yep" in my first thread asking how to make my new password change permanent, shared with me the https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=tweaks I have been running the terminal hot with codes adding sid repositories left and right, implementing zram, changing scale-to-fit settings, dark themes, wireguard, open-vpn etc. Shout-out to @RTP for creating the script Wipri https://github.com/righttoprivacy/wipri allowing me to easily randomize my mac adress on boot.

As for as my experience during all of this it has been a hell of a rollercoaster ride. Some of the issues I have encountered have been easy to fix such as not being able to send texts or view my inbox in Chatty, I had the wrong format selected in Region and Language. Others have been slightly harder like when my friend Carl sent me a MMS and I had to unclog my inbox and delete all messages, thanks buddy. And the most annoying has probably been trying to use firefox-esr with the no-script extension involving menus that wont dissapear, menus that never show up and ofcourse menus that dont respond.

What finally took me over the edge was when I had my SO call my phone and the "ringtone" was a constant vibration loud as hell with an accompanying sound seemingly played by a mouse with stagefright. Thus, I have now decided to stop my nightly adventures and move myself to the stable version of 20200905 because I just want a phone that more or less works while not having to worry about my own "coding skills" making a huge mess which is why I am not going to touch anything out of the box.

I have a question in regards to the updates of the stable build. After flashing it to my eMMC and doing an apt update, I see that I have exactly 80 packages that can be upgraded. Now, if I update all of them where will that take me exactly? Because if it is anywhere near the Nightly build I dont have the courage yet to go back in. Should I just not update at all until the next stable version is out or how exactly can I best try to enjoy mobian as a daily driver with low to no tinkering and high stability?

Thanks to all of you for being such a welcoming community even to people like me who have no clue what I am doing and then come here to complain about the software issues lol. You are the best.
Mobian is rolling release, as it uses the testing and unstable repositories.

The 'stable' releases are largely a misnomer: they should be considered stable as an image to install, not as an in-place release, ala Debian stable.

The moment you upgrade, you are in-step with the nightly build.
(09-18-2020, 03:38 AM)jed Wrote: Mobian is rolling release, as it uses the testing and unstable repositories.

The 'stable' releases are largely a misnomer: they should be considered stable as an image to install, not as an in-place release, ala Debian stable.

The moment you upgrade, you are in-step with the nightly build.

Well, then im going back in on the nightly from a fresh install. Big Grin  I think what got me on the last run was deleting something called purple-lurch that wouldnt install properly, either that or maybe doing sudo apt autoremove isnt a good idea. Still learning. Thanks for clarifying.
You're welcome.

I think you'll be hard pressed to truly brick the PinePhone. Failure is just part of the process Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No volume control after latest updates Zebulon Walton 19 6,662 09-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Last Post: jessencan
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,913 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Haven't seen updates in a while Zebulon Walton 3 1,134 06-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  [Fixed] Phosh crashes frequently after latest updates arno_nuehm 20 8,358 10-14-2022, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Krafter
  Latest Reliable Mobian Build Confirmation Thread Katsujinken 5 2,515 09-27-2022, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,001 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  How to check which mobian build I am running jojuma 0 692 08-29-2022, 04:44 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Glacially slow system updates on Mobian - waiting on boot 20m - 1h bujiraso 5 3,162 03-01-2022, 10:06 AM
Last Post: bujiraso
  I built a reminder app but can't seem to build a deb/snap/flatpak for it, help? ragreenburg 9 6,535 09-10-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  No updates after upgrade? jojuma 3 2,689 08-26-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bcnaz