Modem SMS issue(s)
Dear community,

I am currently trying to debug the modem after having issues with transmitting and (sometimes) receiving SMS on 4G (and sometimes on 3G and 2G as well).
Whenever I send a SMS I get a "timeout" and it is not related to the OS.

I also tried to send an SMS with different options using mmcli - the issue is that mmcli wasn't able to find the sms once I created it. This seem odd to me. Maybe someone can explain me or help me out with that problem. 

Code:
mmcli -m 0 --messaging-create-sms="text='Hello world',number='+49***********,delivery-report-request=no"
Successfully created new SMS: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/1

mmcli -s 1
error: couldn't find SMS at '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/1': 'not found in any modem'

when I create a second SMS the counter goes up (2,3,4,..etc). But ModemManager still complains that there is no SMS found anywhere. 
I wonder if this is a hardware related issue (memory problems? ).

B/R
Andi
Code:
sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-create-sms="text='Hello world',number=+xxxxxxxx,delivery-report-request=yes"
//(assumes the SMSid is 0)
sudo mmcli -s 0 --send
This should work
(02-25-2021, 11:18 PM)e1337 Wrote: There could be two separate things possibly going on:

1. Older chatty versions (the SMS UI) will delete your mmcli SMS due to a bug before you get to send it. Either upgrading chatty, or making sure it doesn't run in the background even when the SMS UI is closed (which it usually does) via "killall chatty" should help for these disappearing SMS.

2. There seems to be a compatibility issue with the modem and some phone operators leading to a temporary delivery failure reported by the phone network. I got that too, I can only receive SMS. I've been emailing the ModemManager dev with logs, so far it does appear to be unclear what the cause is. So if you always get timeouts sending, maybe this could be the same problem? Just a guess.

I receive the same error message:
Code:
error: couldn't find SMS at '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/4':
'not found in any modem'

I tried the approach of @jabadahut91 and the Chatty killall command. It did not help Sad

I am using the pinephone ubuntu touch version by the way. As the status of the modem seems to be okay I feel like I do not have the same problems as you.
How can I find out if I have the same problem? Should I report the problem to https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-br...demManager? Do you know if I can provide further information?

Thank you so much Smile
When I had SMS texting issues,  I suspected  was a modem hardware or firmware problem.

But it turned out the MMS texts were filling up and plugging the cache in the modem.

I had tried changing the operating systems and the problem remained the same.

Even a fresh operating system install does not clear the modem cache.

There are 3 or more methods to clear the modem cache,  I chose to use the ' Modem Manager GUI '  App.
  Modem Manager GUI makes it easy to check and clear the modem with just a few 'clicks'  

Now I use that GUI App to quickly check the modem once or twice a week, and now my SMS texting works very dependably 
  across all the operating systems that I have tested  recently.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supported Carrier and Modem Bands NachoMomma 4 1,356 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 365 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 14 5,235 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,411 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  modem not working michelinux 0 868 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  modem not detected al_x 3 4,074 02-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: fxc
Bug DESIGN ISSUE? Speaker + vibration motor broke for the 2nd time e1337 11 4,095 01-26-2023, 10:11 PM
Last Post: AnAbolitionist
  firmware udate Quectel EG25-G modem alwi 7 5,103 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: user641
  Need command to tell what modem firmware I am on. purpletiger 4 2,652 07-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  The modem does not recognize Korean SIM cards (what?) bdicewk 9 3,869 06-13-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta