Phone Calling - Extremely Bad Quality
Hello - I just got my PinePhone today. I didn't expect it to compete with my Samsung S10 and I am understanding it as a Linux box that can be used to make phone calls, but .. well .. I can't. Calls can be placed and the other side can hear me well, but all I am getting is some modulated static. It's very quiet but the real problem is that the sound itself is garbage. I can't understand a single word. Can't even say if its a male or female on the other side.

I am running the pre-installed PostMarketOS.

Any ideas?

Michaela
Bad out of the box call quality of the PMOS PP has been mentioned by others in more than one place in the forum I believe.

i.e. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11281

I experienced it myself.  Flashing a recent mobian nightly build to uSD cleaned it up considerably.    Welcome and gl.
(09-16-2020, 03:51 PM)mischmerz Wrote: Hello - I just got my PinePhone today. I didn't expect it to compete with my Samsung S10 and I am understanding it as a Linux box that can be used to make phone calls, but .. well .. I can't. Calls can be placed and the other side can hear me well, but all I am getting is some modulated static. It's very quiet but the real problem is that the sound itself is garbage. I can't understand a single word. Can't even say if its a male or female on the other side.

Any ideas?

Michaela
Don't worry, this gadget is not intended for phoning but for gathering mastership in Linux hacking Big Grin .
I received mine yesterday and had the same issue.

The calls quality improved dramatically after I updated tho (PostmarketOS). Still not perfect but I'd say the phone is completely usable for calls.
(09-16-2020, 03:51 PM)mischmerz Wrote: Hello - I just got my PinePhone today. I didn't expect it to compete with my Samsung S10 and I am understanding it as a Linux box that can be used to make phone calls, but .. well .. I can't. Calls can be placed and the other side can hear me well, but all I am getting is some modulated static. It's very quiet but the real problem is that the sound itself is garbage. I can't understand a single word. Can't even say if its a male or female on the other side.

Any ideas?

Michaela

I found PostmarketOS to be rather painful to use, so I installed Mobian on an SD card. Mobian, while rough around the edges, is far more advanced than PostmarketOS. I didn't activate my SIM card until after installing Mobian, but the call quality has been sometimes acceptable and sometimes very bad.

The microphone is as good as any other phone I've had, with the receiving end not being able to tell the difference between the Pine Phone and my Huawei.

The received audio, however, is rather terrible some of the time. Sometimes, it's even unintelligible.
Call quality issues are likely do to VOIP protocols.

Devs are building this stuff from scratch.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 933 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,418 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  pine phone external speaker AnAbolitionist 9 3,203 02-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: robb777
  new to pine phone and struggling neverdimed 8 2,654 11-25-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: neverdimed