Disable Encryption
I've searched the forums, but can't find an answer. When I first activated my Pine Phone, I selected full disk encryption to see how it behaved. Now, after deciding that it was a mistake, and getting tired of having to enter my password so much, I want to get rid of it. However, I can't find any instructions on how to do that.

Can anyone point me to instructions on how to start over from scratch? I'm looking for a factory reset.
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...ng_Systems
(09-16-2020, 03:03 PM)fsflover Wrote: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...ng_Systems

Does this link contain the information that is being requested?

I'll contribute a thought -- FDE means the whole partition is encrypted so decrypting it may not be possible without quite a bit of manual effort.
While I know Bitlocker can in-place encrypt and decrypt on Windows, I don't know how this works and haven't seen the same thing on Linux. For reference, I have had FDE on all my Arch boxes for a decade and am not aware of any easy method.
A quick google shows that people agree on Ask Ubuntu.

Likely the easiest path here is backing up your items somewhere and starting a-fresh. There's a utility to easily flash on this post
(09-16-2020, 04:23 PM)bujiraso Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 03:03 PM)fsflover Wrote: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...ng_Systems

Does this link contain the information that is being requested?

I'll contribute a thought -- FDE means the whole partition is encrypted so decrypting it may not be possible without quite a bit of manual effort.
While I know Bitlocker can in-place encrypt and decrypt on Windows, I don't know how this works and haven't seen the same thing on Linux. For reference, I have had FDE on all my Arch boxes for a decade and am not aware of any easy method.
A quick google shows that people agree on Ask Ubuntu.

Likely the easiest path here is backing up your items somewhere and starting a-fresh. There's a utility to easily flash on this post

Thanks for the response. I don't care about the encrypted information, as I'm just experimenting with the phone, so I'm okay with everything on the phone being erased.

I've been trying to work through that very post you mentioned, but the phone is different enough from a Linux PC that I'm not sure if my phone is detecting my SD card.
(09-16-2020, 02:31 PM)AppDeveloper Wrote: I've searched the forums, but can't find an answer. When I first activated my Pine Phone, I selected full disk encryption to see how it behaved. Now, after deciding that it was a mistake, and getting tired of having to enter my password so much, I want to get rid of it. However, I can't find any instructions on how to do that.

Can anyone point me to instructions on how to start over from scratch? I'm looking for a factory reset.
I also was bored to enter that long password so many times and therefore executed from remote ssh as root: cryptsetup luksAddKey. 
The system then first prompts for the original password and then I added a 3 character long password for convenience use.

Whenever confidentiality should become important, that additional key can be deleted by using: cryptsetup luksRemoveKey.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just reflashed to latest mobian, it never asked for disk encryption? JuniperFury 3 2,144 10-18-2021, 10:24 AM
Last Post: JuniperFury
  disable the lockscreen? unrealb2 3 2,264 09-19-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: unrealb2
  Encryption GloriousCoffee 7 8,775 03-24-2020, 12:19 PM
Last Post: bcnaz