Booting from SD card
Lightbulb 
Hi folks,

I've been trying to boot my Pinebook Pro ISO from an SD card, but have not had any luck.

The issue is that although I can hear the Ubuntu start sound, nothing is displayed on the screen. I used win32diskimager to write it, which may be an issue.
You can try using dd to write the img to your SD directly from the OS installed on your eMMC.
(09-16-2020, 07:25 AM)tophneal Wrote: You can try using dd to write the img to your SD directly from the OS installed on your eMMC.

Hi @tophneal I'll try that and report back.
Hi,

I tried writing the Ubuntu Mate using dd, but unfortunately it still doesn't work.

Pinebook Pro seems to boot ok, but nothing is displayed on the screen.
(09-16-2020, 01:24 PM)CalmMopey Wrote: Hi,

I tried writing the Ubuntu Mate using dd, but unfortunately it still doesn't work.

Pinebook Pro seems to boot ok, but nothing is displayed on the screen.

I am so brand new here that I don't KNOW this but...

Since you've had the same result on both SD and eMMC, maybe its the .ISO or particular build of Linux thats the issue... if it were me, I might try to write Manjaro (or whatever flavor you had prior that WAS working....) to the eMMC or SD card and see if that works. At least then you'd know that the issue was within the Ubuntu Mate ISO.

I'm going to follow this, so please update - as ultimately I *think* I want to run Ubuntu on the Pinebook Pro. I know that I prefer Ubuntu flavors so I'm interested if you get it running.

Did you check the download of Ubuntu Mate to make sure you have a good copy from your download?

I hope you get it going shortly, thanks for discussing the issue.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
Try some other distro
>to make sure you have a good copy from your download?
Have you ever tried to repair a "bad" zip?
If download is bad , xzcat or zcat will 'error out'
Or you can test, xz -t image.xz (indeed, isos should be checked. a good reason to 'zip' them)
And, there is a 'gotcha', if SD and emmc have same distro,
there may well be identical, duplicate fslabels or UUID's
sudo blkid,, this is NOT a good idea if used in fstab or extlinux
Thank you all for your replies. I am also thinking that it's the Ubuntu Mate build that is the issue. I'm going to try booting the SD using the same version that is installed (Manjaro) and report back.
Still not working. I copied manjaro to an SD card using dd, rebooted and it booted straight into the eMMC install. Is there something I need to do to tell pinebook pro to boot from the SD card?
>to tell pinebook pro to boot from the SD card?
If it is starting the install, is it not booted from SD card?
Can you get a vt? (virtual terminal) (ctl-alt-F3)
If card is not 64G, lsblk,, look for line ending "/", and size
Can be really confusing if both SD and emmc is 64G

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 631 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,071 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Followed the blog post to install Fedora: PBP not booting anymore koenigs 6 1,739 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,385 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
Exclamation PineBook Pro shuts down immediately after booting zogkarndon 5 1,841 01-10-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Perl6_user
  Cannot Boot From SD Card xp19375 4 2,675 11-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can't boot when SD card inserted 0daysfordays 3 1,684 09-17-2022, 06:59 PM
  Total Noob. Need help booting from SD Mattchublean 18 12,954 07-23-2022, 11:54 PM
Last Post: LivingLinux
Wink Booting Windows on bare-metal rk3399 SBC (no linux involved) strongtz 9 10,285 05-26-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: strongtz
  Problem SD card willahughes 1 1,507 03-22-2022, 09:27 AM
Last Post: jiyong