Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland
(09-17-2020, 07:36 AM)peperjohnny Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 01:01 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: Hopefully Manjaro and/or others will give us a build with Plasma or XFCE for the pine tablet ??
They may come around on the decision, but currently they don't want to and honestly I can understand why.
While it's really cool to have plasma running on the tab, most people would probably use it from a SD card and that is not a good representation of what plasma can be imho.
There are some fixes and improvements in the pipeline with 5.20 though, so maybe it'll be better then.

I can understand this also. But IMO phosh is far away from being something like mature and I am heavily looking for an system I can work with the tab.

Todays situation:
With UB-touch You can work, with mobain-phosh with restrictions.

And I have a lot of doubts about phosh. Who was started IMO as an operating system for the Librem phones. But if they want to sell an amount of phones to earn some money they have no big chance to do this with phosh today........

wait and see.........
Excellent! this is what I was looking for!

Had to install it twice do to inattention on my part, but love it!

Thanks for the work on this and the setup instructions. I had to do it from the phosh build as I was unable to get wifi going in the barebones.

More Fun!!!

David
de KL7JKC
Not sure about others but this has been rendered unusable for me after a pacman update tonight. It boots but Plasma desktop is crippled by various graphical artifacts and hanging.
(10-14-2020, 03:02 PM)mattpenn Wrote: Not sure about others but this has been rendered unusable for me after a pacman update tonight. It boots but Plasma desktop is crippled by various graphical artifacts and hanging.
I have the same. I've not looked to far into it. Maybe it's the recent kernel update or the plasma updates itself, because I'm missing some features that should be available in 5.20. People on the regular arch forums have at least the missing feature issue, so maybe plasma related.
Same here. There were more plasma updates that hit this afternoon and I was hopeful that it was going to be fixed but still have all the glitching issues.
I just installed to new SD (bigger and faster) and now have weirdness going on in Plasma. Desktop slow with artifacts and inconsistent selection.

My previous version works fine, so I think it is in the changes in the updates.

Hopefully it is resolved soon.

David
de KL7JKC
(10-17-2020, 10:36 AM)Jeffersoniantoo Wrote: I just installed to new SD (bigger and faster) and now have weirdness going on in Plasma.  Desktop slow with artifacts and inconsistent selection.

My previous version works fine, so I think it is in the changes in the updates.

Hopefully it is resolved soon.

David

You mean all the graphical glitches and artifacting? Yeah, it's way too jarring to use so I am not quite sure what actually happened here if it was working fine before. May have to try a different user interface like GNOME shell or Phosh shell.

Anyone know if Plasma Desktop on X11 have graphical glitches?
I turned off a lot of the desktop 'special effects' and that seemed to help, but did not solve it.
Now usable to some extent, but not comparable to my version before update.

could be a driver issue or something to do with X config. Seems like there is an inner screen and an outer screen, when you move windows around and cross the borders, strange things happen.

David
de KL7JKC
It seems turning off all effects with alt+shift+f12 makes everything normal.
(10-19-2020, 02:03 AM)peperjohnny Wrote: It seems turning off all effects with alt+shift+f12 makes everything normal.

Plasma on X11 (not wayland) is not affected.
BTW I've found the only DM working with my setuo is gdm
sddm and lightdm both hang and fail

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to install Plasma Mobile in Archlinux Surehand53 14 3,365 02-28-2024, 07:07 AM
Last Post: aular
  Plasma Update broken? Corkonian 0 457 11-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Corkonian
  Arch Linux (danctnix) virtual keyboard layout change cudo 0 598 09-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: cudo
  Favourite desktop environment discussion FortunateFowl 6 1,467 09-02-2023, 07:38 AM
Last Post: lllll
  Plasma Mobile configuration Surehand53 0 1,102 07-05-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Download new plasma widgets error Corconegre 1 911 06-26-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  No desktop after latest updates (Jun 16, 2023) rqkeating 5 1,558 06-21-2023, 04:16 PM
Last Post: rqkeating
  Arch Linux ARM on PineTab 1 Danct12 25 29,162 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: fxc
Video Does DactNix Arch Linux support my use case? BlueGalaxy 22 5,629 05-18-2023, 03:45 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineTab Mobian LXDE desktop fjord 0 2,212 02-24-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: fjord