Ringer and Alarm Tones
I am running Mobian on an SD card and i would like to change the ring tone and also the Alarm Clock tone.  My plan was to replace the default sound file with what I wanted but I am struggling to find the their locations.  I will keep on searching but if anyone by chance knows will you please post it here?

Note: I am using the default "Clocks" app.
(09-13-2020, 05:08 AM)discogribbs Wrote: I am running Mobian on an SD card and i would like to change the ring tone and also the Alarm Clock tone.  My plan was to replace the default sound file with what I wanted but I am struggling to find the their locations.  I will keep on searching but if anyone by chance knows will you please post it here?

Note: I am using the default "Clocks" app.

You can do this by creating a custom sound profile and replacing the regular system sounds with any recording of your choice. I did it recently for the alarms in Clocks, so I could wake to a song, for instance, instead of the horrible beep-beep-beep noise. Haven't tried it yet for the ringtone, but I see a ringtone available in the directory, so I don't see why that shouldn't work as well.

First you'll want to copy the regular sound profile to your .local folder (to keep the default one as a backup, in case you mess something up):
Code:
Code:
cp -rv /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop ~/.local/share/sounds/my-custom-profile

Then navigate to this new local directory you made, and you'll see it contains a directory called stereo, and a file called index.theme. Open index.theme with a text editor and change the name to 'my-custom-profile'.

Navigate to the stereo directory and you'll see all of the system sounds, in the .oga format. You can replace any of them with sound files of your choosing. Convert your sound file to the .oga or .ogg format, change the name to whichever system sound you want to replace, then copy it into that directory to overwrite the default file for that system sound.

Finally, change your system sound profile to your custom profile. You can do this by using dconf-editor, navigating to /org/gnome/desktop/sound and changing the theme-name to 'my-custom-profile'.
Thank you, that is exactly what I was needing. That Timex alarm tone was way too loud and abrupt.

I changed the "phone-incoming-call.oga" file and it changed the call ringtone.
You can also use symlinks as it is done by default. See the defaults in ~/.local/share/sounds/__custom/.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  German Emergency Alarm System Test arno_nuehm 4 1,722 12-11-2022, 01:44 PM
Last Post: traut
Question Alarm keeps going off - can't find anything set in Clocks Fenellakw 3 3,339 09-10-2021, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Fenellakw
  Alarm clock doesn’t work Captain1ndustry 10 13,820 01-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Last Post: moodroid