Best Browser And Way To Start OS
Im new to linux and Pine64 so please suggest an os and where can I download? 

Whats the most secure private browser?

At this point I have an SD card and sim installed and I can receive txt but not browse on the Firefox just starting up 1st time

hEEEElp lolol
No browser is private, they aren't designed to be. You can take steps to improve this, but browsers are inherently 'leak-y'.

Use Tor Browser, and Firefox with a hardened profile, for the best results. Avoid Chrome/Chromium-based browsers.

Operating systems and installation instructions can be found on the Wiki.
The 1st step under Mac instructions is use 7z for windows .... I have a Mac....im just tryna get this going. I already tried a YouTube video with no results

jedNo browser is private, they aren't designed to be. You can take steps to improve this, but browsers are inherently 'leak-y'.

Use Tor Browser, and Firefox with a hardened profile, for the best results. Avoid Chrome/Chromium-based browsers.

has anybody been successful with a Mac....anyone?
(10-12-2020, 08:36 PM)snow season Wrote: The 1st step under Mac instructions is use 7z for windows .... I have a Mac....im just tryna get this going. I already tried a YouTube video with no results

jedNo browser is private, they aren't designed to be. You can take steps to improve this, but browsers are inherently 'leak-y'.

has anybody been successful with a Mac....anyone?
I guess you're talking about https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=..._Apple_OSX

It says you need a compression utility - there must be loads in the app store that can do the job. The 7z link is a little odd - the Windows downloads are at the top of the page, but if you scroll down to the bottom there are options for other OSes, including an unofficial MacOS one that's also available in the app store. I can't comment on whether it's any good, but it claims to be able to extract all the formats you're likely to find for this purpose.
Most secure? Probably webkit based (Epiphany) since its engine has been widely used in many projects (including as the basis for chromium) and it has many cool security features like Bubblewrap sanboxing with Flatpak, Heap Arena, GC enhancement, ASLR, DEP, etc.

Here's a Black Hat paper on it.

Most private? Probably hardened Firefox with a couple of extensions (careful, default Firefox is horrible in that regard).

I'm a big fan of ITP in Epiphany (since it uses heuristics and not a set filter like FF) and the devs aren't sponsored by ad companies, but it is really easy to heavily customize FF to make it very private.

I'm also eagerly waiting for GTK 4 so that epiphany can use GPU acceleration in it's UI. Right now Firefox with webrender and vaapi enabled is by far the fastest of them all.
(10-12-2020, 08:36 PM)snow season Wrote: The 1st step under Mac instructions is use 7z for windows .... I have a Mac....im just tryna get this going. I already tried a YouTube video with no results

has anybody been successful with a Mac....anyone.?

Any chance you could dual boot your computer with a Linux operating system ?
or perhaps use a Linux computer ?

That would sure make the rest very much easier to do.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Quick Start Manual Translations - Please help Luke 61 80,858 01-14-2022, 11:19 AM
Last Post: pifou
  updated now phone won't start techariah 3 2,509 10-17-2021, 11:41 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Megapixels wont start Barugon 3 2,496 07-01-2021, 07:15 PM
Last Post: nelstomlinson
  mmc_erase: group start error -110, status 0x0 gab 1 2,165 06-26-2021, 07:00 PM
Last Post: 8bit
  Can't start Manjaro from eMMC Gon 2 2,950 05-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
Big Grin My PinePhone won't start. I am giving it away if you want to try and fix mswaleh 2 4,628 03-25-2020, 01:31 PM
Last Post: dustfinger