My Daily QA - 2020-09-10
Be aware, these tests are being executed using an out-of-box testing methodology. All tests are preformed with minimal interaction/setup of devices outside of: OS imaging/updating,  SIM installation, Wifi Configuration,  and Power Cycling the devices.

Results: ubports/2020-09-10-TMobile

Conclusion: This OS is not ready for the device to become a daily driver.

Notes: Still open to the idea that the camera button is to reverse the image not switch to the 'selfie camera' if anyone can confirm either way I would appreciate it. Failed 4G outbound call still an issue; the failed call no longer kills audio on all other calls. 3G calls are see a little bit of improvement. Able to connect, wasn't getting a count up on call timer. No audio passed either direction. Rebooted phone and tried again, nothing. Good to see some changes going through that portion of the code base though. 3G SMS outbound issue present today. Hopefully the VoLTE fixes are underway.

Issues:
4G outbound calls broken.
Phone gets stuck in a weird lock state when spamming power button.
Outbound SMS over 3g is broken.
Audio cuts out after "No Calls" error is handled on inbound/outbound calls.
Can you start reporting the status of GPS too? It is possible to get working, but isn't very reliable. Would be nice to know when it's more stable
(09-11-2020, 01:25 PM)somken Wrote: Can you start reporting the status of GPS too? It is possible to get working, but isn't very reliable. Would be nice to know when it's more stable
Agreed! Id say it is reliable on manual activation from terminal, but stops as soon as you reboot, toggle off, go to sleep etc. Terminal code is lots of typing, so tedious as heck. Something id really rather them fix.

Also in call volume, speaker phone, and not losing signal when sleeping would be important fixes too. If the gps, camera(S), and these matters as well as battery life were fixed, id be ready to call it daily driver.
(09-11-2020, 01:25 PM)somken Wrote: Can you start reporting the status of GPS too? It is possible to get working, but isn't very reliable. Would be nice to know when it's more stable
This is actually quite hard to test reliably as the position of the satellites is a significant factor in how quickly it gets a fix, at least without using the assistance data. You need to do a statistically significant number of tests with a time gap between them to make sure there's an actual change in performance, not just getting (un)lucky with the sat positions.

With assistance it's a lot quicker and more reliable, but you need a network connection to download the data then load it into the GPS. I don't think any of the distros are doing this by default yet. This will be the game changer.
(09-11-2020, 11:23 PM)Cree Wrote:
Agreed! Id say it is reliable on manual activation from terminal, but stops as soon as you reboot, toggle off, go to sleep etc. Terminal code is lots of typing, so tedious as heck. Something id really rather them fix.

Also in call volume, speaker phone, and not losing signal when sleeping would be important fixes too. If the gps, camera(S), and these matters as well as battery life were fixed, id be ready to call it daily driver.

I could begin that testing, but if it will require me to do a bunch of extra configuration then I don't want to add it to this testing set. I'm really trying to showcase the usefulness out of box, for some of the newer members of the linux community.
(09-10-2020, 12:42 PM)plainenough Wrote: Be aware, these tests are being executed using an out-of-box testing methodology. All tests are preformed with minimal interaction/setup of devices outside of: OS imaging/updating,  SIM installation, Wifi Configuration,  and Power Cycling the devices.

Notes: Still open to the idea that the camera button is to reverse the image not switch to the 'selfie camera' if anyone can confirm either way I would appreciate it. Failed 4G outbound call still an issue; the failed call no longer kills audio on all other calls. 3G calls are see a little bit of improvement. Able to connect, wasn't getting a count up on call timer. No audio passed either direction. Rebooted phone and tried again, nothing. Good to see some changes going through that portion of the code base though. 3G SMS outbound issue present today. Hopefully the VoLTE fixes are underway.

Issues:
Just adding my experiences: Upgraded to DEV build 2020-09-16 today.  Camera is fun - it shows reversed image in screen, but captures normal image.  I put in a MicroSD today, it recognized it and gave me option to format (which I did), but I have no idea how to use it, I don't see it mounted at all.  Most calls out still fail.  The only inbound calls I seem to get (T-Mobile) are telemarketers and spam.  Most text messages work, but not all (T-Mobile again).  Copy/Paste is miserable, doesn't work between apps, but works in-app.  Battery life is still pretty horrible, I just keep it powered off until I want to use it to send text or something, or if I'm playing all day with it to test things then I keep it plugged in.  GPS can work if you are really, really patient with it (probably not using AGPS from towers, but sat-GPS).  I'm making a lot of guesses here, no real proof of things, just user experience.  I do use the PinePhone every day (as well as my Pinebook Pro Smile ) , and it's really hard, but I want things to be that way right now, it keeps my mind focused.  I don't even recommend the PinePhone to experienced Linux users when they ask about it.  It's still in the "interesting toy" category.    

Enough with Rants, now for some Raves.  I love having a terminal.  I love having zero physical branding (other than the tiny pinecone by the camera).  I would like to have a bootup screen that doesn't advertise Pine64 or Ubuntu Touch.  Stellarium is my new favorite app.  

Did you know that a Pinecone was originally called a pineapple?  As in "the apple or fruit from the pine tree".  Then, when Europeans took over Hawaii (well, forced the queen out), and the Pineapple fruit became popular, it was also named Pineapple because it resembled the conical seed of the pine tree.  But then both were called pineapple, and it was confusing.  So, instead of doing the logical thing, and keeping the original thing called pineapple, people did the usual, completely illogical thing, and kept calling the newly discovered fruit named as pineapple, and the seed of the pine tree was named as "pinecone".  Sure, people are illogical, but that explains the popularity of Microsoft Windows.  

Anyway, I replaced the back cover with the silly UBPorts logo, and it's now basic black.  I noticed that after removing the old UBPorts back about 10 times, it cracked.  The new back seems fine.
(09-16-2020, 12:28 PM)Phillip Bell Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 12:42 PM)plainenough Wrote: Be aware, these tests are being executed using an out-of-box testing methodology. All tests are preformed with minimal interaction/setup of devices outside of: OS imaging/updating,  SIM installation, Wifi Configuration,  and Power Cycling the devices.

Issues:
Just adding my experiences: Upgraded to DEV build 2020-09-16 today.  Camera is fun - it shows reversed image in screen, but captures normal image.  I put in a MicroSD today, it recognized it and gave me option to format (which I did), but I have no idea how to use it, I don't see it mounted at all.  Most calls out still fail.  The only inbound calls I seem to get (T-Mobile) are telemarketers and spam.  Most text messages work, but not all (T-Mobile again).  Copy/Paste is miserable, doesn't work between apps, but works in-app.  Battery life is still pretty horrible, I just keep it powered off until I want to use it to send text or something, or if I'm playing all day with it to test things then I keep it plugged in.  GPS can work if you are really, really patient with it (probably not using AGPS from towers, but sat-GPS).  I'm making a lot of guesses here, no real proof of things, just user experience.  I do use the PinePhone every day (as well as my Pinebook Pro Smile ) , and it's really hard, but I want things to be that way right now, it keeps my mind focused.  I don't even recommend the PinePhone to experienced Linux users when they ask about it.  It's still in the "interesting toy" category.    

Enough with Rants, now for some Raves.  I love having a terminal.  I love having zero physical branding (other than the tiny pinecone by the camera).  I would like to have a bootup screen that doesn't advertise Pine64 or Ubuntu Touch.  Stellarium is my new favorite app.  

Did you know that a Pinecone was originally called a pineapple?  As in "the apple or fruit from the pine tree".  Then, when Europeans took over Hawaii (well, forced the queen out), and the Pineapple fruit became popular, it was also named Pineapple because it resembled the conical seed of the pine tree.  But then both were called pineapple, and it was confusing.  So, instead of doing the logical thing, and keeping the original thing called pineapple, people did the usual, completely illogical thing, and kept calling the newly discovered fruit named as pineapple, and the seed of the pine tree was named as "pinecone".  Sure, people are illogical, but that explains the popularity of Microsoft Windows.  

Anyway, I replaced the back cover with the silly UBPorts logo, and it's now basic black.  I noticed that after removing the old UBPorts back about 10 times, it cracked.  The new back seems fine.

As an experienced linux professional, this device is still in the interesting toy category. As an avid Systemd person (stemming from my arch roots.) I am a little disgruntled that ubports hasn't shifted away from ub16 and upstart for the base os. I would love to see these devices begin to incorporate stuff like live kernel updates. Also, it would help out a lot if I didn't have to surf my memory to the ubuntu 12 days to troubleshoot all of the things. 

On another note, I never look at the back of my phone so I don't care about the rear cover. I will say, having the option to *EASILY* replace the battery if it starts to fail is nice.

I'm really holding out for ubports to be better so I can use native linux. Although mobian is getting up there. (although phosh looks atrocious)
(09-17-2020, 10:36 PM)plainenough Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 12:28 PM)Phillip Bell Wrote:

Issues:

As an experienced linux professional, this device is still in the interesting toy category. As an avid Systemd person (stemming from my arch roots.) I am a little disgruntled that ubports hasn't shifted away from ub16 and upstart for the base os. I would love to see these devices begin to incorporate stuff like live kernel updates. Also, it would help out a lot if I didn't have to surf my memory to the ubuntu 12 days to troubleshoot all of the things. 

On another note, I never look at the back of my phone so I don't care about the rear cover. I will say, having the option to *EASILY* replace the battery if it starts to fail is nice.

I'm really holding out for ubports to be better so I can use native linux. Although mobian is getting up there. (although phosh looks atrocious)

I've been trying out manjaro/phosh this week (starting on the 9/13 build of alpha 3) and it's really starting to feel good. I think wake up from sleep is a bit more reliable, I'm now able to use the wifi after wakeup  without rebooting more often, the sound/ringtone also seems more reliable, I had been missing a few calls on Mobian lately. They've also got a semi working anbox, good automatic screen rotation and  a nice icon package. With those things and Martijns new megapixels camera app (which I added in myself) it's starting to feel like something you could use. Don't think the power management is quite as good tho.
I am just a low level user, but just from my personal experience with UBPorts,
It performed better for me in February on my Brave Heart, than it did the last time I recently tried it.
It did have text and phone call capability at that point, a working camera was a far distant idea at that point in time.

As I continued to do the daily updates, it just kept getting worse for me, until I could no longer use it at all.

When I discovered the Debian/Phosh, it was a usable operating system, the desktop was different but with
some use, I started getting used to it.

Now with the Mobian and Phosh, it has become my favorite and daily driver

I have been a Linux "user" for over two decades, I am just not too good at terminal stuff..

I do understand everyone has their own preferences and that is as it should be...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-17-2020, 11:34 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am just a low level user, but just from my personal experience with UBPorts,
  It performed better for me in February on my Brave Heart, than it did the last time I recently tried it. 
It did have text and phone call capability at that point, a working camera was a far distant idea at that point in time.

As I continued to do the daily updates, it just kept getting worse for me,  until I could no longer use it at all.

When I discovered the Debian/Phosh, it was a usable operating system, the desktop was different but with
some use, I started getting used to it.

Now with the Mobian and Phosh, it has become my favorite and daily driver

I have been a Linux "user" for over two decades, I am just not too good at terminal stuff..

I do understand everyone has their own preferences and that is as it should be...

Yeah truth of it is, I just think phosh isn't as pretty as ubports. But this stems off of a simple expectation through my sole use of iPhones for the last decade. (long story short, I went from an i560 Nextel flipper to an iphone 3g way back when because I have a full free phone upgrade and they didn't have anything else that seemed better.) So now I have a certain expectation of UX that is hard to match. Many "Solely Android" people probably feel the same way about unity. It is just different. And IMO a little ugly.

With all of this in mind, yeah Mobian is a better solution at the moment.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ordered my 3 phones on April 20, 2020 and only 1 arrived! bndoug66 9 8,744 10-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bndoug66
  My Daily QA - 2020-10-01 plainenough 1 2,877 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-30 plainenough 0 1,882 09-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-28 plainenough 3 4,902 09-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-29 plainenough 0 1,854 09-29-2020, 08:32 AM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-01 plainenough 2 3,699 09-29-2020, 07:51 AM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-09 plainenough 1 2,694 09-09-2020, 11:37 PM