No video when booting from sd-card
Thumbs Up 
Yes- it is the software not hardware

I have tried the 3

Mobian - boots - not so funky
Manjaro build 2 and 4 - boots -no video as others found
Arch - boots - again not so funky but it rotates!

I am sticking with the Ubuntu Touch for now but wanted to be assured for if/when I break it I can reflash something - which I can
I installed Mobian to an SD card and was pleasantly surprised that it's in a much better state than Ubuntu Touch. It boots in portrait mode. (It boots!) You can add the keyboard and switch it to landscape mode and now it works as a notebook. Firefox worked great. Added my google account worked. I was able to do a command line upgrade:
sudo -i
apt install && apt full-upgrade -y

and everything went swimmingly. Chromium was installed and, I believe, a software manager icon. And the camera is now starting to work - at about the same stage as the Pinephone camera.

Overall, it's now completely usable while UT wasn't. Will try out Arch next.
My PineTab runs Mobian from the internal eMMC and I do sometimes run into the same video issue (no video but backlit on). It seems it has nothing to do with the booting location (SD or eMMC.
Ok so Mobian is the one that I HAVENT tried so maybe thats next, but just to echo some sentiments:

Ive tried Manjaro 2 and 4, no video

2 different version of ARCH (sorry not paying that close attention to versions) no vdeo output.

All this with 6 different SD cards, im pretty impatient kinds aguy so "reflashing" sd cards is a huge time waster for me.

Someone mentioned something ysterday that I noticed no one commenting on:

So lets clear a few asuumptions:

1) on many tablets, holding the volume rocker and booting will bring you into a "bios like" util that allows you to do some low level formatting etx. Does the Ptab have anyting iike that?

When I got n video I tried power +, then Pwer - , then Power CTR, and only on one of them did the tablet react, it said "AWAITING COMMAND, and then had a strange figure displayed.

Thinking that it needed keyboard input I tried it again with the keyboard plugged in, same screen, no input

anyone have any ideas?
(09-14-2020, 04:51 PM)mindwave Wrote: Ok so Mobian is the one that I HAVENT tried so maybe thats next, but just to echo some sentiments:

Ive tried Manjaro 2 and 4, no video

2 different version of ARCH (sorry not paying that close attention to versions) no vdeo output.

All this with 6 different SD cards, im pretty impatient kinds aguy so "reflashing" sd cards is a huge time waster for me.

Someone mentioned something ysterday that I noticed no one commenting on:

So lets clear a few asuumptions:

1) on many tablets, holding the volume rocker and booting will bring you into a "bios like" util that allows you to do some low level formatting etx. Does the Ptab have anyting iike that?

When I got n video I tried power +, then Pwer - , then Power CTR, and only on one of them did the tablet react, it said "AWAITING COMMAND, and then had a strange figure displayed.

Thinking that it needed keyboard input I tried it again with the keyboard plugged in, same screen, no input

anyone have any ideas?

Arch and Manjaro have video for the first public batch. Arch on the wiki is working as one of the best. Strit posted a new Alpha image with changes made for the new screen. It doesn't have sound yet, but it can play youtube w/o stuttering. It's pretty impressive how snappy it felt.

Power + Volume Up is the combo. it should take you into the recovery mode but the USB cable is required I believe.
Topnheal

Please let me verify what I think you said.

For the first wave of ptabs arch and manjaro should be working fine, but not at the current moment for the batch that were just delivered. Ok?

Then you said that someone just posted can arch image 'on the wiki' that should be working with the current crop of ptabs?

Was that the arch wiki or the ptabs?

Just making sure I have like 5 different images floating around my hd.

Thanks for the info on the USB

J

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maskrom: How to tell what's on the SD card? zogkarndon 7 305 03-24-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Pavlos1
  Booting issue for postmarketos (tow-boot)? olyavi 0 984 09-15-2022, 05:38 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  Video Tutorial: SDR/GQRX- Listening In To Voice On Pinetab (Internal SDR) RTP 1 2,397 03-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Last Post: barray