Pin64.org looks to have been much too optimistic
@LinAdmin2

Interesting that you have once again negative reputationed me in your words for "Providing negative reputation without convincing arguments"

I provided you negative reputation (for this thread, not the other one) because you did zero research before buying this phone. That was clear in your other thread where I provided you answers and documentation for all of your issues. Despite having that help you went on to create this thread demanding immediate fixes because YOU didn't bother to research what you were buying. Instead of recognizing that, you created this thread blaming pine.

That is why I gave you a negative rep. Clearly others feel the same.

You are welcome to jump in the dev ring and help fix these problems.
(09-14-2020, 06:47 PM)SwordfishII Wrote: @LinAdmin2

Interesting that you have once again negative reputationed me in your words for "Providing negative reputation without convincing arguments"

I provided you negative reputation (for this thread, not the other one) because you did zero research before buying this phone. That was clear in your other thread where I provided you answers and documentation for all of your issues. Despite having that help you went on to create this thread demanding immediate fixes because YOU didn't bother to research what you were buying. Instead of recognizing that, you created this thread blaming pine.

That is why I gave you a negative rep. Clearly others feel the same.

You are welcome to jump in the dev ring and help fix these problems.

I can smell a troll around... @LinAdmin2 you can give me all the down reputation as you want, I really don't care. What I care though, is you troll attitude that could be toxic in a forum like this. SHAME ON YOU
First off, I do not know if LinAdmin is even still around,
But I wanted to add, 'Almost' every forum member I have encountered on this site has been friendly and helpful to me.

I discovered Pine64 about a year ago when the Pinebook Pro was coming out.
I ended up buying a ISO Pinebook Pro, then ordering a Brave Heart phone the first day orders opened.

I am not a typical old time Linux user, though I have been using Linux since the 1990's, I have a terrible time with terminal,
and such. My usual "fix" is to re-install the operating system.
But even so my Brave Heart phone has been able to do phone calls and text 'most of the time' since I received it early
in this year. There were a few weeks where I did have trouble. I am NOT complaining there were warnings this was for
advanced Linux users.
** BUT I did get lots of support just for the "asking" !
This forum is mostly about Pine64 products, but it is active and helpful because of "Linux supporters".
BUT remember this is NOT Microsoft, Android, or Apple, everyone one here is a volunteer !

I now have 2 Pinebook Pro's and 4 Pine phones fine quality from Pine64
But they all work because of support from this forum.
Ask questions when you need help, But PLEASE be respectful !
Even a GUI user can have a working device.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I'm new to Linux, but already love what it stands for.  I did a little (really not much at all) research into the Pinephone before ordering, from that limited research I understood this device was a work in progress.  I ordered it not because of where the software development is, but where I hope its (and appears to be) heading.  I wanted a reason to learn Linux and I love to tinker; I wanted to support what I see as a healthier direction for mobile technology.

@LinAdmin @LinAdmin2 ... please conduct a little introspection on your expectations and motives here.  I do not think you are being fair to this community or Pine64 at all.  If you are not willing to take responsibility for your own choices, to elevate your own understanding, to contribute to a community, I doubt the Linux environment is suitable for you.
(09-15-2020, 02:38 AM)neil_swann80 Wrote: I'm new to Linux, but already love what it stands for.  I did a little (really not much at all) research into the Pinephone before ordering, from that limited research I understood this device was a work in progress.  I ordered it not because of where the software development is, but where I hope its (and appears to be) heading.  I wanted a reason to learn Linux and I love to tinker; I wanted to support what I see as a healthier direction for mobile technology.

@LinAdmin @LinAdmin2 ... please conduct a little introspection on your expectations and motives here.  I do not think you are being fair to this community or Pine64 at all.  If you are not willing to take responsibility for your own choices, to elevate your own understanding, to contribute to a community, I doubt the Linux environment is suitable for you.

When pine64.org, a registered company under the laws of Honkong, sells a product in their internet shop, saying that
Quote:This is a [b]PinePhone[/b][b] Community Edition[/b] featuring [b]postmarketOS [/b]mobile Linux operating system. It is a limited edition of the PinePhone aimed primarily at PosmarketOS community members. The core purpose of this campaign is to provide hardware capable of running mainline Linux to members of the community so that postmarketOS developers can benefit from feedback and code contributions to their project. The preinstalled postmarketOS software build which ships with this edition of the PinePhone is an Alpha software build. This effectively mean that while core functionality of the PinePhone – such as telephone calls, SMS messages, LTE, GPS, GPU acceleration, etc. – [i]is[/i] operational, it is also an ongoing effort, and thus the device cannot be considered as a consumer-ready product.
then they do have the legal obligation that what they cite "_is_ operational" MUST work. BTW, nobody down-voting me pretended that the software delivered was operational as an ordinary phone!

You and all the crowd of enthusiasts that pleased to make my life a misery seem not to aware of the most basic trade laws.

@SwordfishII

Quote:I very much disagree with this.

Linux is much more ram friendly than windows and Android.

I still use an original eeepc 701 with debian on it I also still use an open pandora which runs angstrom and can emulate saturn/dreamcast and down.

Both are capable machines still with less than 3GB of ram.

As always though use case matters. Gimp and blender are probably out for the pinephone. Dev, browsing, ssh, media etc will work just fine.

I very much disagree with your reply.

I did not pretend that Linux uses more RAM than Windows or Android, that's just in your fantasy  Angry

But I upheld my fact based opinion that 3GB of RAM prevents it's use as a desktop replacement. That kind of replacement requires attachment of a normal PC screen via the HDMI and the USB-dock and an ordinary keyboard.

Even without using Gimp and Blender it will require quite a lot of care. I speak from my own experience with a desktop PC with 4G of RAM where firefox likes to eat it all up until the system freezes Huh .

Other common applications like LibreOffice also expect quite some RAM.

I won't deny that some carefully selected programs can run on Pinephone, but that can NOT be called a genuine desktop replacement!!!
Linadmin / Linadmin2;

I have a solution... are you looking to sell your PinePhone hardware? I'm looking to get into the PinePhone community and it seems like you would be happier out of it.

If you'll sell and ship to the US - for a fair discount - I would help facilitate that so you can work on projects that you believe in.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
(09-17-2020, 11:25 AM)Paulie420 Wrote: Linadmin / Linadmin2;

I have a solution... are you looking to sell your PinePhone hardware? I'm looking to get into the PinePhone community and it seems like you would be happier out of it.

If you'll sell and ship to the US - for a fair discount - I would help facilitate that so you can work on projects that you believe in.

Sorry, your aggressive, so called solution is no solution and my phone is not on sale.
And BTW, I am on the final spurt with a decent software that contrary to the promises of pine64.org does allow to make phone calls...
(09-17-2020, 11:34 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 11:25 AM)Paulie420 Wrote: Linadmin / Linadmin2;

Sorry, your aggressive, so called solution is no solution and my phone is not on sale.
And BTW, I am on the final spurt with a decent software that contrary to the promises of pine64.org does allow to make phone calls...

Agressive? LOL - no, aggressive is you're the first asshole I've met on here and I hope the PinePhone battery blows up and kills your cat.

Thats agressive, good day.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
OK guys, this isn't going anywhere and I don't think the thread is productive.
To prevent further exchanges I am locking the thread.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter