UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant)
Gstreamer does not seem to work so cannot play any videos, I tried the Manjaro Plasma option in the image, Installed gst-plugins-bad and gst-play-1.0 fails with "Driver did not accept the bitstream parameters" i also tried with uninstalled gst-plugins-bad it then fails with no "no suitable plugins found"
@megous
Is it feasible to add Manjaro Lomiri to the multi-boot image?
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/49923
Well, I got my 3GB Pine Mobian Community edition recently and I would love to try the multiboot image but I've tried it and other images and I can't get the phone to boot from SD. I've tried 2 different cards, 4 different tools to flash the SD and it just won't boot and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Sad I've also tried just a single image (Manjaro Plasma)...same thing. It goes straight into Mobian. I'd appreciate any ideas of what I'm doing wrong. TIA
(03-19-2021, 10:49 PM)Jadzia_D Wrote: Well, I got my 3GB Pine Mobian Community edition recently and I would love to try the multiboot image but I've tried it and other images and I can't get the phone to boot from SD. I've tried 2 different cards, 4 different tools to flash the SD and it just won't boot and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Sad I've also tried just a single image (Manjaro Plasma)...same thing. It goes straight into Mobian. I'd appreciate any ideas of what I'm doing wrong. TIA

Just want to check the super obvious... The SD sits a little too perfectly in the sim slot... make sure it's in the correct position shown below.  (I've made this mistake)

[Image: pine-sd.jpg]

When you boot from emmc can you see the SD mounted?
(03-20-2021, 01:13 AM)neil_swann80 Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 10:49 PM)Jadzia_D Wrote: Well, I got my 3GB Pine Mobian Community edition recently and I would love to try the multiboot image but I've tried it and other images and I can't get the phone to boot from SD. I've tried 2 different cards, 4 different tools to flash the SD and it just won't boot and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Sad I've also tried just a single image (Manjaro Plasma)...same thing. It goes straight into Mobian. I'd appreciate any ideas of what I'm doing wrong. TIA

Just want to check the super obvious... The SD sits a little too perfectly in the sim slot... make sure it's in the correct position shown below.  (I've made this mistake)

[Image: pine-sd.jpg]

When you boot from emmc can you see the SD mounted?

OMG!!!! Thank you!!! I had it in the wrong slot. :/ I feel dumb. Thank you sooooo much!!!!
(03-20-2021, 05:26 PM)Jadzia_D Wrote: OMG!!!! Thank you!!! I had it in the wrong slot. :/ I feel dumb. Thank you sooooo much!!!!

Glad that's working for you.  Have fun with Megi's Multi-boot image and your new Pinephone!

I'm really fond of the Lomiri GUI you get with UBPorts myself.  Manjaro have a version (Alpha 3) with the Lomiri interface which is also looking promising:

Manjaro Phosh (Beta 6) seems to be one of the distros with the most functionality currently:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/55679
Mobian is another one to try for the most functionality.

Sailfish looks lovely too (perhaps nicer than the Lomiri GUI), but like many of the distros currently, plenty of bugs still and I believe there is some proprietary UI code? 

Whilst I love the way the Pinephone is shaping up, for me none of the Pinephone distros are quite daily driver ready as yet, so for the moment I'm running UBPorts on an old Android handset (Nexus 5 - Hammerhead), nearly everything works and works well; including Anbox which allows you to run some Android apps albeit not always perfectly.
(03-20-2021, 05:26 PM)Jadzia_D Wrote: OMG!!!! Thank you!!! I had it in the wrong slot. :/ I feel dumb. Thank you sooooo much!!!!
Don't feel dumb. I was unfamiliar with the double decker slots too. Even with the knowledge of the presence of the double slots and the graphical depictions, I could not determine which slot was to be populated with which card (SD or SIM). The graphic didn't provide me with adequate 3D visual cues as to which card is upper and which card is lower. Furthermore, I could not adequately see how the slot was designed with my old eyes and I tried to install my SIM card into the upper (SD) slot. I ended up bending the pins in the slot and the SD card would then not function. Luckily I was able to painstakingly use a dental pick to straighten out the pins within the upper slot and get it working with SD cards.

The Wiki and the Pine64 docs could do a better job here. High resolution photos, like the ones posted by neil_swann80 here, are really needed. The textual and current graphical depiction were insufficient--at least for me.

Or maybe I should just feel dumb and cognitively challenged by 2-D graphical depictions, rather than simply feeling crippled by old eyes and a lack of documentation.

I download the brand new Majaro KDE Fusion Beta 3 release yesterday. I still need to travel to test phone functionalities (no cell service at home) but I think it will replace Mobian as my favorite PinePhone OS! Too many bugs are creeping into Mobian and cellular function has become very unreliable for me. With Manjaro Fusion Beta 3, I've experienced very few glitches and bugs and it doesn't crash occasionally like phosh has always done on my phone. I'm finding Beta 3 to be a big improvement over Beta 2, which I quickly discarded when it came out.
(03-20-2021, 11:21 PM)neil_swann80 Wrote:

Glad that's working for you.  Have fun with Megi's Multi-boot image and your new Pinephone!

I'm really fond of the Lomiri GUI you get with UBPorts myself.  Manjaro have a version (Alpha 3) with the Lomiri interface which is also looking promising:

Manjaro Phosh (Beta 6) seems to be one of the distros with the most functionality currently:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/55679
Mobian is another one to try for the most functionality.

Sailfish looks lovely too (perhaps nicer than the Lomiri GUI), but like many of the distros currently, plenty of bugs still and I believe there is some proprietary UI code? 

Whilst I love the way the Pinephone is shaping up, for me none of the Pinephone distros are quite daily driver ready as yet, so for the moment I'm running UBPorts on an old Android handset (Nexus 5 - Hammerhead), nearly everything works and works well; including Anbox which allows you to run some Android apps albeit not always perfectly.

I've been playing with Ubuntu Touch this morning. I see there's still work to do on the camera. I tried Sailfish and it was a bit stuck after the tutorial. I'd like to give Manjaro a chance too. Even if it's not a daily driver yet I'm having fun playing with it. I have a couple of Android phones I can play with too. It took forever to get my pinephone because I ordered (without knowing) during Chinese New Year so I had to wait a bit longer than most. But I finally have it. Thanks again for your help. I hate asking for it but I was super stuck and got a little frustrated.
(03-21-2021, 12:15 PM)calinb Wrote: I download the brand new Majaro KDE Fusion Beta 3 release yesterday. I still need to travel to test phone functionalities (no cell service at home) but I think it will replace Mobian as my favorite PinePhone OS! Too many bugs are creeping into Mobian and cellular function has become very unreliable for me. With Manjaro Fusion Beta 3, I've experienced very few glitches and bugs and it doesn't crash occasionally like phosh has always done on my phone. I'm finding Beta 3 to be a big improvement over Beta 2, which I quickly discarded when it came out.

Hi. What is the KDE Fusion Beta 3? I know they have a Phosh Beta 7 and and a Plasma Beta 2, but I've not seen any mention of Fusion. Thanks
(03-21-2021, 12:57 PM)moodroid Wrote: Hi. What is the KDE Fusion Beta 3? I know they have a Phosh Beta 7 and and a Plasma Beta 2, but I've not seen any mention of Fusion. Thanks

Manjaro Fusion Beta 3 release:
https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla.../tag/beta3

Manjaro comes in phosh, lomiri, and fusion-mobile versions for PinePhone:
https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/

The 17-distro multi boot has an earlier version but this Beta 3, which was released yesterday, is looking like it's a significant update for me and I've mostly been a Mobian fan up until now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,190 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,526 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,944 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,482 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,610 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,672 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma