Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch
Whilst UB-Touch being a reliable and well running OS the energy consumption is horrible!

Fully reloaded to 100%, phone lies on my office desk, Wlan is strong and 4G also strong here  ---> after 7 hours of NO USE battery is empty. After normal use with 2-3 calls and 2 times checking mail battery is empty in maximaum 2-3 hours.

Horrible, only usable ATM with a big powerbank in Your pockets or a always connected charger in the office.

Are there any changes planned for this in the future ?
My experience with Mobian is that power usage has been improved by leaps and bounds during the last month or so - it's now often possible to leave a half-charged phone on over night and have a usable amount of battery left the morning after. I'm sure the improvements will end up in UBTouch as well sooner or later.
Did you enable "sleep when idle"? I noticed it helped a bit. The battery does drain petty fast, I just started to use ubuntu on my pinephone today and its pretty good!
(09-12-2020, 01:48 PM)11Eleven Wrote: Did you enable "sleep when idle"? I noticed it helped a bit. The battery does drain petty fast, I just started to use ubuntu on my pinephone today and its pretty good!

Yes, sleep when idle is activated. I think that there is an not optimal made implement of Crush on the pinephone?

You cannot go out of office with the phone for some hours without a charger or a external battery pack for reloading

Manjaro has a way better battery lifetime ATM
(09-08-2020, 11:34 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: Whilst UB-Touch being a reliable and well running OS the energy consumption is horrible!

Fully reloaded to 100%, phone lies on my office desk, Wlan is strong and 4G also strong here  ---> after 7 hours of NO USE battery is empty. After normal use with 2-3 calls and 2 times checking mail battery is empty in maximaum 2-3 hours.

Horrible, only usable ATM with a big powerbank in Your pockets or a always connected charger in the office.

In Mobian you could literally fry an egg on the phone. Sometimes it gets too hot you cannot hold it. Here you have where all the energy from the battery goes, just heat.

I haven't seen any improvement on that, sorry.
Its worth noting i went all day on Manjaro Lomiri today. Its the same UI as UT. UT lasts a few hours at most but with Manjaro i had 57% charge left by bedtime! Of course, much less is working on Manjaro Lomiri, so that could have much to do with it, otherwise at least it proves it's possible for UT as well.
I had the same issue with Postmarket OS and then decided to move to UT but the experience was almost the same. I checked several parameters and I have found that the problem comes with the GSM activation. At the moment I don't have any SIM activated and I use my WLAN at home and the battery consumption is fantastic.
At the moment I have my pine for testing as second phone and It is not critical for me not to have GSM activity.
(09-08-2020, 11:34 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: Whilst UB-Touch being a reliable and well running OS the energy consumption is horrible!

I just want to note that I am in the dev branch of UBPorts, and that has a significant drain on battery, compared to the release branch.  With that said, does anyone have a recommended process or app for monitoring which threads are causing all this drain?  It's getting to the point that I want to shut down services I don't always need (GPS, et al) if they are the offenders.  And yes, I know already that I can switch off GPS and other services with hardware.  I'm asking about monitoring the OS to see who the offenders are.  I spend all day with my graphene battery (RealGraphene 5000 mAh) hooked up to the phone, and even then, it slowly loses charge.
(10-13-2020, 12:35 PM)Phillip Bell Wrote:

I just want to note that I am in the dev branch of UBPorts, and that has a significant drain on battery, compared to the release branch.  With that said, does anyone have a recommended process or app for monitoring which threads are causing all this drain?  It's getting to the point that I want to shut down services I don't always need (GPS, et al) if they are the offenders.  And yes, I know already that I can switch off GPS and other services with hardware.  I'm asking about monitoring the OS to see who the offenders are.  I spend all day with my graphene battery (RealGraphene 5000 mAh) hooked up to the phone, and even then, it slowly loses charge.
Wow! You're a step ahead. Could you share how you've got gps working by default? I can manually start it from terminal, but need to type it in every time and its lots of effort. Ive been waiting for an ota release on dev that would have it enabled by default but for me that hasnt been the case. Its always off unless i type all those lines in in the terminal. I can toggle it off but not on again. Back to terminal...
This is almost certainly related to CRUST implementation. I have seen similar scenarios. I think based on the recent blog posts from the UT guys located here that really, the power management isn't the #1 focus. It looks like these guys are focusing on getting Lorimi portable to other distros.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,002 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  ADB support on Pinephone Sumwun 3 682 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Sumwun
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,427 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  PinePhone and PinePhone Pro 20.04 Focal Install and Update c3l@ 0 655 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,677 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,723 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,300 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 3,089 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,177 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 162,279 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife