First impressions
Anyway a good tip! Together we are strong!
I also received mine today.
First impressions is that I am happy...for now but I expect I will find things to change my mind.
At the moment I have
No auto rotation
When the keyboard is attached the apps open in small windows. I'll have to find out how to resize them

Thanks for the tip about the headphones, I found the samething on my tab and changed the settings and headphones worked, Thanks (double thanks it worked on my pinephone as well).
Has anyone else gotten a strange clicking sound when opening the camera app? Like a psychical click coming from inside the device as if a relay was latching.
Agree on the comments about build quality. As with the Pinephone, for the price point i'm definitely happy.

Autorotate fix is much needed.

I also noticed the physical clicking sounds on boot. I get the same when the pinephone boots.
(09-09-2020, 03:12 PM)eaglecup Wrote: Has anyone else gotten a strange clicking sound when opening the camera app? Like a psychical click coming from inside the device as if a relay was latching.
Yes, I have that too.
(09-09-2020, 03:12 PM)eaglecup Wrote: Has anyone else gotten a strange clicking sound when opening the camera app? Like a psychical click coming from inside the device as if a relay was latching.
(09-09-2020, 03:27 PM)mattpenn Wrote: I also noticed the physical clicking sounds on boot. I get the same when the pinephone boots.
Yes to both. I'm guessing that during boot the camera driver is loading and attempting to enable the camera's, same when starting the camera app, though I've never heard of a tablet that uses relays to turn components on/off.
it's a strange device, but quite sexy in many ways. I find i'm not really using the trackpad since it's easier to just touch the screen (and the trackpad doesn't work too well yet
) , ubports is quite useable if you do this, I like it more on this device than the pinephone. haven't tried any other distros yet. what it does make me want is a pbp with detachable keyboard and touch screen ( and way, way bigger battery, obviously). The default on screen fonts are a bit poor, I installed ut tweak tool and increased the scaling slightly to improve this. sound is scratchy but loud enough if you tweak it through alsamixer, mute the mic to avoid awful feedback, and you're good to go. It is kind of chunky, but not too bad, my only other 10 inch tablet is an old samsung galaxy, which has a much flimsier back, loving the spiral grippy rear finish, but maybe feels too firm, the galaxy almost begged you to rip off the back cover, whereas this feels like you shouldn't interfere. Initially I thought the back lit keyboard (which was a big selling point for me) was a bit poor (too dim) , but as the day has darkened, i'm starting to appreciate its subtlety.
Tomorrow I'll be trying mobian and manjaro, maybe I'll be giving Fedora a go.
Glad to read I'm not the only one with the clicking sound. And I also get it on boot. What could it be? Could it be a camera focus motor being pushed too far?

Mobian works ok. You can just skip past the broken onboarding proces (click on the bottom bar and then close the process, then just setup things like wifi using the settings app). Some issues:
- The keyboard is phone sized and I couldn't press the C key in portrait mode.
- The display is upside down when the keyboard is connected, there are some clipping issues (firefox url bar not visible in landscape, I think its hidden under the system bar)
- Sound doesn't seem to work, and neither does bluetooth.

It's not exactly speedy either, but overall it already works quite well. GPS and the camera work, although the latter freezes if you try to record video.
(09-10-2020, 03:43 AM)eaglecup Wrote: Glad to read I'm not the only one with the clicking sound. And I also get it on boot. What could it be? Could it be a camera focus motor being pushed too far?

Mobian works ok. You can just skip past the broken onboarding proces (click on the bottom bar and then close the process, then just setup things like wifi using the settings app). Some issues:
- The keyboard is phone sized and I couldn't press the C key in portrait mode.
- The display is upside down when the keyboard is connected, there are some clipping issues (firefox url bar not visible in landscape, I think its hidden under the system bar)
- Sound doesn't seem to work, and neither does bluetooth.

It's not exactly speedy either, but overall it already works quite well. GPS and the camera work, although the latter freezes if you try to record video.
Did you (when flashing via jumpdrive) just wipe the whole tablet as when I tried the jumpdrive the tablet showed many partitions not just one ?

Yesterday when I tried a manjaro build it never booted from the sd card so will need to retry.

I also managed to turn up the volume a little via alsa mixer btw which helped.

Also I resized the Userdata partition using gparted (on an Ubuntu pc) to use the whole spare space but this seems to slow things down a little.

Day two impressions - little slower than hoped but buggy as it should be. Failing to get access to online accounts, Dekko crashy. Font looks really stretched and tried a bigger font which is helpful but the icons (notifications are still blocky and distant)
I got the same issues was @Ktaadn

The bad:

- Camera not working.
- Trackpad not working correctly. It works only in a small part of the screen.
- UBPorts is *censored*#$%&%*
- How do you install a real Browser like Firefox or a real editor?
- The backlit Keyboard is fine. Why doesn't it auto power off after closing the cover or at least after some minutes of inactivity?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a tone of other things I would like to try, but there are severe limitations in-terms of what you can install and the tablet overall is extremely laggy.
The current browser (the only option for browsing that I can find) really needs some desperate love in-terms of functionality. From a hardware perspective, i've found it pretty slow to start and initially had a bug, where my tablet continued flashing continuous when i first started up, exactly similar to STM's tweet 
https://twitter.com/i/status/1304053124378824704

I'm glad for the purchase and understand its all experimental for the time being. I really look forward to an much more usable tablet and OS.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Initial Impressions dachalife 6 1,884 06-09-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinetab2 - First impressions Surehand53 6 5,119 06-07-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: zer0sig