Pine phone Battery life vs operating system
Not sure how this could possibly be "Charted" so just going to post what I notice.

I happen to have 2 PMOS Convergent (3g ram) Pine phones.

One is running the factory install of PMOS

The other is running nightly build of Mobian OS   (Sept. 05 build)

Both at full charge, I did a few test calls and texts, short web connect
>>  then left idle with bluetooth and wifi turned off.

Checked after approximately : 12 hours

The PMOS phone was dead at  0% charge

The Mobian phone was at 30% charge

Maybe we can start to get a rough idea of what to expect for battery life.

Please do chime-in,  but for sake of continuity,  perhaps keep it in say 2 hour increments :
  2 hours - 4 hours - 6 hours - 8 hours 10 hours - 12 hours etc...
    Thanks !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-07-2020, 05:01 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Not sure how this could possibly be "Charted" so just going to post what I notice.

I happen to have 2 PMOS Convergent (3g ram) Pine phones.

One is running the factory install of PMOS

The other is running nightly build of Mobian OS   (Sept. 05 build)

Both at full charge, I did a few test calls and texts, short web connect
>>  then left idle with bluetooth and wifi turned off.

Checked after approximately : 12 hours

The PMOS phone was dead at  0% charge

The Mobian phone was at 30% charge

Maybe we can start to get a rough idea of what to expect for battery life.

Please do chime-in,  but for sake of continuity,  perhaps keep it in say 2 hour increments :
  2 hours - 4 hours - 6 hours - 8 hours 10 hours - 12 hours etc...
    Thanks !
Ive noticed mine (UB ports CE edition) runs flat in about 4 or 5 hours with UT. With Mobian it does seem to last about 12 on idle. Havent tested manjaro or arch as long which are my 2 others,  arch at least appears to have a similarly slower draw like Mobian
I am still attempting to get this in an organized fashion so any input is appreciated.

I have a no name old dumb phone for calling to & from and texting.
then a Brave Heart, 2 PMOS Convergent Pkg phones on hand, and a standard PMOS still on its way.
The Brave Heart is kind of a daily driver for now.

Trying to contribute to the community.
from my experience there doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency in battery life. some days it will fully discharge after 4 hours off the charger, and some days it can be in my pocket all day and still have 80% battery life.

running Manjaro
(09-11-2020, 06:40 PM)hiimtye Wrote: from my experience there doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency in battery life. some days it will fully discharge after 4 hours off the charger, and some days it can be in my pocket all day and still have 80% battery life.

running Manjaro
All day with 80% remaining sounds phenomenal. Outlier or not we gotta figure out what happened there and extrapolate that set up across all distros. Is Manjaro doing you well as a daily driver so far?
I find I get about 12-15 hours on my mobian braveheart - if I restart it after any significant activity e.g making or receiving  calls, web browsing on mobile date. lately it doesn't seem to require rebooting as often, but if I feel it startinmg to warm up in my pocket I reboot.
Ubports is all over the place, some days with low usage, it's at 63% after 10 hours then 5 mins later it's at 12%, which I presume is down to not properly sampling the battery on wake.
(09-11-2020, 11:52 PM)Cree Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 06:40 PM)hiimtye Wrote: from my experience there doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency in battery life. some days it will fully discharge after 4 hours off the charger, and some days it can be in my pocket all day and still have 80% battery life.

running Manjaro
All day with 80% remaining sounds phenomenal. Outlier or not we gotta figure out what happened there and extrapolate that set up across all distros. Is Manjaro doing you well as a daily driver so far?
I notice sometimes when I pull my phone out of my pocket that the screen is on, which I think contributes to the lower battery life. my guess is the long life days have less or none of it.

yeah, I like Manjaro. I use Arch as my daily driver on all of my PCs, and Manjaro seems to be the most consistently updated of the Arch spinoffs here. I'm not a fan of Wayland, as it seems to crash a lot, but I'm even less of a fan of UBPorts or KDE, so it seems like the lesser of the available evils. if there were an X11 option, I would certainly adopt it at least to see if it's less prone to crashes.
(09-13-2020, 06:46 PM)hiimtye Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 11:52 PM)Cree Wrote:

running Manjaro
I notice sometimes when I pull my phone out of my pocket that the screen is on, which I think contributes to the lower battery life. my guess is the long life days have less or none of it.

yeah, I like Manjaro. I use Arch as my daily driver on all of my PCs, and Manjaro seems to be the most consistently updated of the Arch spinoffs here. I'm not a fan of Wayland, as it seems to crash a lot, but I'm even less of a fan of UBPorts or KDE, so it seems like the lesser of the available evils. if there were an X11 option, I would certainly adopt it at least to see if it's less prone to crashes.
I also think screen brightness in UT is a big reason for higher consumption. Looking at the screen is like looking at the sun, and the dimmest setting is still like staring at a light bulb. Cant wait for them to decrease screen brightness.
yeah, the autobrightness doesn't seem to work very well. it's either so dark that I can't use it in the day time, or so bright that I lose my ability to see walls at night time lol

if I manually set the brightness then it seems alright, but that's assuming that Wayland/Phosh are cooperating with me at that point in time. sometimes the entire Phosh UI becomes unusable, followed by a crash of Wayland, and a soft reboot. I wish that Phosh were written to be X11 compatible.

I honestly prefer the UI of Limiri or w/e UBPorts is, and it seems relatively stable, but it's a closed ecosystem so I may as well run /e/ if I were to run it, and Libertine seems a mess.
The battery life is one of my greatest concerns for PinePhone. I use Mobian with Phosh. The idle time is about 12-18 hours. I also observed that auto screen brightness doesn't work very well. However the option to reduce the brightness when battery level is low seems to work well. I usually keep the brightness at 50% and it is sufficient for me.

The greatest energy consumers seem to be:
1. Reboot takes 2-3 % of battery charge
2. apt update & apt upgrade (and generally heavy download via WiFi)
Unfortunately, after each update I feel necessary to reboot.

Also I often open Settings to enable/disable WiFi and check Sound input and output (they are suddenly reset to headphone instead of internal speaker / microphone after reboot). The starting / closing an application also seems to drain some battery charge, so I ended up with having Setting always started (I don't know any way to keep it minimized in Phosh though).

Overall, I am happy with the fact Mobian pushes updates for PinePhone hardware support and Phosh almost every day.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Increasing battery life slondr 8 2,642 03-19-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: aular
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: Feature Phone UI in LVGL, Zig and WebAssembly lupyuen 64 13,544 09-09-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Pinephone OS Backups (System Images) ThrillGates 6 7,210 08-20-2023, 09:22 AM
Last Post: DominiqueM
  Access to system directories from flatpak lagrang3 0 813 07-15-2023, 05:53 AM
Last Post: lagrang3
Bug Wrong Battery Charge Level Displayed - How to Fix acid andy 7 5,152 06-12-2023, 01:04 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: Phone Calls and Text Messages lupyuen 2 1,326 05-03-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Article: (Clickable) Call Graph for Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System lupyuen 0 1,059 03-04-2023, 10:39 PM
  Video: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone lupyuen 0 1,228 02-07-2023, 07:35 PM
  Genode OS Now Live (finally a battery friendly PP OS?) PineFone 0 1,419 02-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PineFone
  [Stupid Question] Where is the phone camera software?! newusername 5 2,737 10-10-2022, 03:58 AM
Last Post: newusername