Problems with new PinePhone
I recently got my PinePhone and installation of Postmarket OS was easy.
However I did not find a solution for the following problems:

1. When booting, the min. 8 characters of the password for unlocking Luks must be entered. Very often the correctly entered password is only accepted after up to 6 trials. Since I typed it very carefully, there must be a bug in the software.
  2. When the screensaver got activated, there is another password required to activate the system, and there too often several attempts are necessary.
  3. The phone allows calling and rings when calls arrive. However the sound is not usable. There seems to be kind of automatic gain control which results in a loud noise, more intensive than arriving voice.
  4. I was not able to use the SMS&Chat app. When started it prompts "Chose a contact". When pressing the "+" key in the top left corner, the stored contacts are shown. However, when I select an entry with a mobile number,  the program drops back to the previous screen asking again "Choose a contact".
  5. When switching off Bluetooth it gets activated upon next booting. This kind of settings should be permanent.
  6. Sometimes the screen of an application (like chat) gets locked and wiping up the bottom "^" sign does not put it in background. The only way out is switching off the phone and rebooting.
  7. I did not find sufficiently detailed instructions to install an email client and a file browser supporting cifs.
Any help to solve these problems are highly appreciated.
(09-07-2020, 01:27 AM)LinAdmin Wrote: I recently got my PinePhone and installation of Postmarket OS was easy.
However I did not find a solution for the following problems:

1. When booting, the min. 8 characters of the password for unlocking Luks must be entered. Very often the correctly entered password is only accepted after up to 6 trials. Since I typed it very carefully, there must be a bug in the software.
  2. When the screensaver got activated, there is another password required to activate the system, and there too often several attempts are necessary.
  3. The phone allows calling and rings when calls arrive. However the sound is not usable. There seems to be kind of automatic gain control which results in a loud noise, more intensive than arriving voice.
  4. I was not able to use the SMS&Chat app. When started it prompts "Chose a contact". When pressing the "+" key in the top left corner, the stored contacts are shown. However, when I select an entry with a mobile number,  the program drops back to the previous screen asking again "Choose a contact".
  5. When switching off Bluetooth it gets activated upon next booting. This kind of settings should be permanent.
  6. Sometimes the screen of an application (like chat) gets locked and wiping up the bottom "^" sign does not put it in background. The only way out is switching off the phone and rebooting.
  7. I did not find sufficiently detailed instructions to install an email client and a file browser supporting cifs.
Any help to solve these problems are highly appreciated.
Another thing I don't understand. When somebody writes code/software/programs/apps whatever you want to call it , don't they check to see if it actually works before they put them in the os?
This is very much a dev phone with fledgeling software.

Almost every issue you brought up is well known and in many threads on this forum.

The priority of many distros is basic functionality first and they will get there when they get there.

As far as your question "Do they bother to check the software" I would urge you to consider most software was designed for generic aarch64 base build. Some things were compiled with the pinephone in mind but many are just a scaled full version. There will be bugs.
(09-07-2020, 05:26 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: This is very much a dev phone with fledgeling software.

Almost every issue you brought up is well known and in many threads on this forum.

With due respect: I had studied the pine forum and the PMos specs about what functions are indicated as "working".

If you would be kind enough to give the URLs of where all these bugs had been preiviously described, this would help me to see where I lacked scrutinity.
Just a sideline comment :
  I did the install without SSH, and without encryption.
  My Convergent PMOS (3g ram) phone runs very well, with decent audio.
Calls, sms/text, data with working hot spot. Just the version of Firefox kinda sux.
Gnome web sort of works.
 This release is light on features.
(09-07-2020, 10:13 AM)LinAdmin Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 05:26 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: This is very much a dev phone with fledgeling software.

With due respect: I had studied the pine forum and the PMos specs about what functions are indicated as "working".

If you would be kind enough to give the URLs of where all these bugs had been preiviously described, this would help me to see where I lacked scrutinity.

Sure here are a few threads for issues 1-5.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...t=Password

Password issues with disk encryption and possible fix (only use numbers for the password, also found in pmOS wiki)

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...all+issues

A few posts down is call issues. Specifically call quality. However there are quite a few other threads on it. No fix yet.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...acts+issue

Contacts issue in chatty, describing your exact issue and a potential fix (add country code to each contact)

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...on+at+boot

Bluetooth issue, on at boot. haven't seen a fix

Most of the distros are sharing fixes and code so the issues are nearly the same in all of them. Optimized software however is different depending on the distro.
Many thanks for the URL's. I obviously had not been sufficiently attentive.
(09-08-2020, 07:51 AM)LinAdmin Wrote: Many thanks for the URL's. I obviously had not been sufficiently attentive.

It's all good, I can appreciate your comprehensive list of issues and I also hope some of those possible fixes work out for you.

Edit: Got one more link for you, this may our may not be part of your freezing issue, related to dram speed and Posh. Wile these test images are Mobian, you could boot off the sd card and see if the problem is addressed (pmos and mobian both use posh and have the same dram speeds baseline). Worth a try.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9832

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,145 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 463 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,604 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,669 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma