First time user experiencing weird keyboard issues
As of this moment of writing, this post has received 149 views but 0 replies.  I didn't expect the problem to be that challenging.  Or maybe I posted in the wrong forum?  Anyway, I'm continuing to have the problem and have been troubleshooting it on my own, so I thought I'd post what I've found.
First, I thought I'd try a different DE than the default KDE to see if the problem might be there.  Tried Gnome, LXQt, Xfce but nothing different. 
Second, I thought to try different operating systems.  I tried Fedora Xfce, Armbian, Arch, and NetBSD booting from a MicroSD.  NetBSD wouldn't boot, but the others booted fine.  But the keyboard problem remained.  With Fedora the problem disappeared for two whole days and I thought the issue might be solved, but it returned and hasn't left.
As for the problem itself, it's very consistent.  When I type I get all caps, as if the caps lock key was on.  If I do turn on the caps lock key I get lower case letters.  I am not able to type numbers except by typing Fn + the number as it is for the numerical pad.  I have not found a way to type a hyphen, -, and the Enter key doesn't work consistently.  Plus occasionally upper and lower case gets mixed.  Not being able to type a hyphen or Enter key makes the terminal pretty unusable for troubleshooting.  An external USB keyboard doesn't solve the problem.
The fact that the problem is consistent, i.e. basically a confusion of the CapsLk keyboard with regular keyboard, and not just typing random characters or something, makes me think a solution might be available.  Perhaps a systemd service was shutdown.  If so, I wonder what that service might be and if it could be re-enabled.  Or perhaps it's a more serious hardware problem.
I am also wondering if trying to re-install the keyboard firmware might help, or installing an alternate keyboard firmware.  If so, any guidance would be appreciated as to how to go about doing this.
And any thoughts at all would be welcome, better than silence at least.
Kendew

Messages In This Thread
RE: First time user experiencing weird keyboard issues - by kendew - 09-28-2020, 05:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello All! New user - 2 basic Quartz64 questions oldschool 2 774 12-14-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  New User use PineBookPro default OS Manjaro clessard 0 1,544 07-02-2022, 09:01 AM
Last Post: clessard
  Can I use the pinetime as a blind user pranav 1 2,070 06-22-2022, 01:07 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Keyboard layout dealie 0 1,488 08-27-2021, 12:55 PM
Last Post: dealie
  Please Help: Bricked Pinebook Pro with Keyboard Update dumbguywhobrokehiscomputer 3 3,900 07-14-2021, 02:49 PM
Last Post: wdt
  RockPro64 ethernet issues: DMA engine initialization failed slowcamp 1 3,011 04-26-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: slowcamp
  Pinebook Pro- configuration aborts setting keyboard layout scroall 10 12,053 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Last Post: scroall
  First time setup of pro glennngiere 2 4,570 06-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  WiFi issues Pinebook Pro sunnystormy 6 8,863 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Luke
  A newest user in Pine64 Aliko 1 3,917 04-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Last Post: tllim