Status update 2020-09-05
Hi!

This monthly update is a bit overdue, but with summer seeing a lot of people going on holiday in the northern hemisphere, there hasn't been much progress over this period Wink

Anyway, we got back to work and things continue to improve, although at a slower pace as we already dealt with most of the low hanging fruits. Here are the most interesting features that have been worked on in the past few weeks:
  • u-boot has been updated to the latest upstream release and is patch for 3GB PinePhone compatibility, so all images are now compatible with all HW versions
  • User "root" no more has a default password, which improves security as it will disable root login entirely (you can still set a password of your choice by executing 'sudo passwd')
  • Default user password can now be changed without the need to use 'sudo': it now accepts any password which is at least 4 characters long, including fully numeric passwords
  • PinePhone usage as a USB device has been entirely reworked:
    • Internal storages (both eMMC and SD card) are now exposed through the MTP protocol, so you can browse and edit your files directly from your computer as long as they contain a valid filesystem
    • Ethernet-over-USB now has DHCP enabled and shares the data connection with the computer, so you can use your phone as a mobile data modem on the go; the phone's IP address has changed to 10.66.0.1 with the latest build (if you upgraded prior to September 5th, it might still be 10.0.0.1 for you).
  • The volume rocker buttons are now supported out of the box thanks to recent phoc and phosh updates
  • Thermal management has been tweaked so the CPU almost never gets over 60°C, and the display brightness scale has been improved to allow for a dimmer screen at the lowest settings
  • Kernel has been updated to the latest 5.7 stable release

As usual, today's image is now the reference release, and contains all the latest and greatest improvements Smile

We also have an experimental build using F2FS for the root filesystem, available here, which improves the system's responsiveness and seems to perform quite well overall.
However, we need more testing and feedback before considering it stable, so if you don't store any data you can't afford to lose on your PinePhone, we'd be glad if you could test and report how it works for you (ideally, we'd like have reports from installation on both the SD card and the eMMC, as it looks like it might work differently depending on the storage device).

As you probably know, this is WIP, and a lot is still happening under the hood to make the device more stable and usable on a daily basis. Still a lot to do, but we'll get there eventually, and the more people we are working on it, the faster it will happen Smile

Enjoy!
(09-05-2020, 09:08 AM)a-wai Wrote: Hi!

This monthly update is a bit overdue, but with summer seeing a lot of people going on holiday in the northern hemisphere, there hasn't been much progress over this period Wink

Anyway, we got back to work and things continue to improve, although at a slower pace as we already dealt with most of the low hanging fruits. Here are the most interesting features that have been worked on in the past few weeks:
  • u-boot has been updated to the latest upstream release and is patch for 3GB PinePhone compatibility, so all images are now compatible with all HW versions
  • User "root" no more has a default password, which improves security as it will disable root login entirely (you can still set a password of your choice by executing 'sudo passwd')
  • Default user password can now be changed without the need to use 'sudo': it now accepts any password which is at least 4 characters long, including fully numeric passwords
  • PinePhone usage as a USB device has been entirely reworked:
    • Internal storages (both eMMC and SD card) are now exposed through the MTP protocol, so you can browse and edit your files directly from your computer as long as they contain a valid filesystem
    • Ethernet-over-USB now has DHCP enabled and shares the data connection with the computer, so you can use your phone as a mobile data modem on the go; the phone's IP address has changed to 10.66.0.1 with the latest build (if you upgraded prior to September 5th, it might still be 10.0.0.1 for you).
  • The volume rocker buttons are now supported out of the box thanks to recent phoc and phosh updates
  • Thermal management has been tweaked so the CPU almost never gets over 60°C, and the display brightness scale has been improved to allow for a dimmer screen at the lowest settings
  • Kernel has been updated to the latest 5.7 stable release

As usual, today's image is now the reference release, and contains all the latest and greatest improvements Smile

We also have an experimental build using F2FS for the root filesystem, available here, which improves the system's responsiveness and seems to perform quite well overall.
However, we need more testing and feedback before considering it stable, so if you don't store any data you can't afford to lose on your PinePhone, we'd be glad if you could test and report how it works for you (ideally, we'd like have reports from installation on both the SD card and the eMMC, as it looks like it might work differently depending on the storage device).

As you probably know, this is WIP, and a lot is still happening under the hood to make the device more stable and usable on a daily basis. Still a lot to do, but we'll get there eventually, and the more people we are working on it, the faster it will happen Smile

Enjoy!
Thank you for the update. I had a quick question though, I made an app that turns on and off most of the tweaks in the tweaks section of your website but I can't find where the information for if a app is scaled or not is stored. Would you happen to know where I could find that information? For example if I scale Firefox, where does that get stored so Firefox knows it needs to stay scaled?
Thanks for the update, this is quickly becoming my favorite distro available!
The possibility to lower screen brightness further is a big improvement for me. Thanks!

(The brightness flickers quite a lot with cpu usage though, but it's still a big improvement.)
Thanks for the update. I lost all my incoming SMS capability a few updates ago. Wondering if thats just a carrier problem or if it is consistent with everyone else?
(09-05-2020, 02:21 PM)LMalilil Wrote: Thanks for the update. I lost all my incoming SMS capability a few updates ago. Wondering if thats just a carrier problem or if it is consistent with everyone else?
Apparently I have too.
Thanks for the update. You guys have done a really good job so far. It is impressive how close you are to a daily driver after such a short time of development. Well done. I'd like to help QA for you at first and then help fix some of the problems. Where should I enter bugs? At this issues page? https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues   I've noticed a lot of annoying little issues in the settings dialog that are probably pretty easy to fix and would add great value if they are fixed. Thanks again!
Thx for the update !

The issues I encountered:

- My modem doesn’t reconnect after waking up. 
- The modem also seems to freeze from time to time and doesn’t reconnect unless I reboot - happens on 2/3/4 G 
- no outgoing / incoming sms on 4G (2/3G) seems to work

Carrier :
O2 / E-Plus (Telefonica)  Germany
Last try with : sep 07 2020
Bh edition
Installation on emmc 

Do you want me to report the issue on github ?
(09-08-2020, 07:29 PM)TheLastDon Wrote: <snip>
I'd like to help QA for you at first and then help fix some of the problems. Where should I enter bugs? At this issues page? https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues
Generally speaking if it's an upstream bug it's probably better suited in the affected programs issue tracker.
If it has to do with hardware specific bits or configuration/packaging where we are upstream (see the packages page)
it should go into our gitlab.
When you have problems with a package that comes from Debian you might want to use the "reportbug" tool.

If you are unsure, you can open an issue at our gitlab or ask us on the matrix channel.

(09-08-2020, 07:29 PM)TheLastDon Wrote: I've noticed a lot of annoying little issues in the settings dialog that are probably pretty easy to fix and would add great value if they are fixed. Thanks again!
If it's an upstream issue, it would be best to go to the source: gnome-control-center

@Helium75 Have you looked at this thread and the linked issue within yet?
(09-05-2020, 09:08 AM)a-wai Wrote: ...

I used to install pinephone-devtools to get the USB-gadget device configured, what do I need to install to configure the (newly renamed) USB device?

The ongoing progress is very much appreciated BTW. Big Grin
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,539 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,246 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,903 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,026 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,997 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,757 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,496 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Loving latest Mobian Update drh 11 4,775 08-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: biketool
  apt-get update "The following signatures were invalid..." grump_fiddle_reinstall 13 7,907 08-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Eugo