Status update 2020-09-05
(09-10-2020, 05:39 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: I used to install pinephone-devtools to get the USB-gadget device configured, what do I need to install to configure the (newly renamed) USB device?

Nothing, it's all installed and enabled by default now (except for SSH of course)
(09-11-2020, 01:23 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 05:39 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: I used to install pinephone-devtools to get the USB-gadget device configured, what do I need to install to configure the (newly renamed) USB device?

Nothing, it's all installed and enabled by default now (except for SSH of course)

Perfect - thanks
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Definitely eyeing Mobian as I use a custom debianon my home computer. Figured I would give pmOS a chance first though.
(09-05-2020, 09:08 AM)a-wai Wrote: As usual, today's image is now the reference release, and contains all the latest and greatest improvements Smile

We also have an experimental build using F2FS for the root filesystem, available here, which improves the system's responsiveness and seems to perform quite well overall.
However, we need more testing and feedback before considering it stable, so if you don't store any data you can't afford to lose on your PinePhone, we'd be glad if you could test and report how it works for you (ideally, we'd like have reports from installation on both the SD card and the eMMC, as it looks like it might work differently depending on the storage device).

As you probably know, this is WIP, and a lot is still happening under the hood to make the device more stable and usable on a daily basis. Still a lot to do, but we'll get there eventually, and the more people we are working on it, the faster it will happen Smile

Enjoy!
Im flashing the F2FS image to eMMC right now and will also try it on the sd card later, anything in particular you want me to try or watch out for?
(09-11-2020, 03:54 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: Definitely eyeing Mobian as I use a custom debianon my home computer. Figured I would give pmOS a chance first though.
I know its personal taste but i really think the Ubuntu touch UI is above and beyond everything phosh. Mobian is definitely more functional though. So is Manjaro and Arch. Really excited to see if plasma makes a comeback on any distro, and also keen to try sxmo. Ive heard great things.
(09-11-2020, 10:50 PM)gizmuth Wrote: Im flashing the F2FS image to eMMC right now and will also try it on the sd card later, anything in particular you want me to try or watch out for?

Thanks! Just check it keeps working, and if you experience anything weird (such as all app icons being replaced with question marks, for example), try to grab logs from dmesg and journalctl.
(09-12-2020, 12:50 AM)Cree Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 03:54 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: Definitely eyeing Mobian as I use a custom debianon my home computer. Figured I would give pmOS a chance first though.
I know its personal taste but i really think the Ubuntu touch UI is above and beyond everything phosh. Mobian is definitely more functional though. So is Manjaro and Arch. Really excited to see if plasma makes a comeback on any distro, and also keen to try sxmo. Ive heard great things

No doubt I'll try tons of distros. I just know the debian repo, cli and intricacies. As long as I can generally work the UI it isn't as big a deal to me.

The pinephone will really get legs one the keyboard comes out.
No
(09-12-2020, 12:50 AM)Cree Wrote:
I know its personal taste but i really think the Ubuntu touch UI is above and beyond everything phosh. Mobian is definitely more functional though. So is Manjaro and Arch. Really excited to see if plasma makes a comeback on any distro, and also keen to try sxmo. Ive heard great things.
I don't like the Ubuntu touch UI; first, it's too much like Android, and second, there's that "U-word" in the title.
(09-12-2020, 04:00 AM)a-wai Wrote: Thanks! Just check it keeps working, and if you experience anything weird (such as all app icons being replaced with question marks, for example), try to grab logs from dmesg and journalctl.
So far so good everything has been working well nothing weird to report
(09-05-2020, 09:08 AM)a-wai Wrote: We also have an experimental build using F2FS for the root filesystem, available here, which improves the system's responsiveness and seems to perform quite well overall.
However, we need more testing and feedback before considering it stable, so if you don't store any data you can't afford to lose on your PinePhone, we'd be glad if you could test and report how it works for you (ideally, we'd like have reports from installation on both the SD card and the eMMC, as it looks like it might work differently depending on the storage device).

Ongoing thanks for all mobian efforts.

Have been running F2FS version for 24 hours or so on a new community edition handset. It is on a Samsung Evo+ SDcard but does seem snappier than BraveHeart with mobian from eMMC. However seem to be getting more crashes. Also log full of
Code:
mmc_erase: group start error -110, status 0x0
presume because this is SDcard and not eMMC?

Have also got apt's knickers in a knot with python3-yoyo etc trying to get all the upgrades in: managed to muscle the 5.8 kernel through. But in any event realise this has nothing to do with F2FS.

Desperate to work out how pmOS avoids the phosh PIN screen before trying the eMMC though!
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,250 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,917 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,031 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,002 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,759 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,497 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Loving latest Mobian Update drh 11 4,784 08-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: biketool
  apt-get update "The following signatures were invalid..." grump_fiddle_reinstall 13 7,910 08-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Eugo