Mobian won't boot on convergence package Pinephone
I'm trying to get Mobian to work on my Pinephone, but can't get it to boot. I flashed the most recent image to an SD card, but when I try to boot, it just gives me a green LED that stays on indefinitely. Through Matrix I found an issue on the Mobian Gitlab that describes exactly the problem I'm having:

Unable to boot Mobian on 3GB "Convergence Edition" Pinephone

Is this an issue specific to the convergence package since it has different hardware than the regular Pinephone?
(09-02-2020, 05:40 PM)Mark53 Wrote: I'm trying to get Mobian to work on my Pinephone, but can't get it to boot. I flashed the most recent image to an SD card, but when I try to boot, it just gives me a green LED that stays on indefinitely. Through Matrix I found an issue on the Mobian Gitlab that describes exactly the problem I'm having:

Is this an issue specific to the convergence package since it has different hardware than the regular Pinephone?

I am experiencing the same issue.

I've tried flashing dozens of mobian images to both sd card and emcc.  After booting up, the green LED stays on indefinitely, and the screen is blank.  I've waited for it to boot for 25 minutes without any luck.
Yes, the issue is specific with the convergence package. The 2GB RAM chip present in the "regular" Pinephone identifies itself as 4GB, so when only 3GB are found, booting fails. U-boot needs to be patched to handle the 3GB Pinephone; Postmarket, Arch and Jumpdrive already have it, but not Mobian yet. It should be added soon though.
(09-02-2020, 05:40 PM)Mark53 Wrote: I'm trying to get Mobian to work on my Pinephone, but can't get it to boot. I flashed the most recent image to an SD card, but when I try to boot, it just gives me a green LED that stays on indefinitely. Through Matrix I found an issue on the Mobian Gitlab that describes exactly the problem I'm having:

Which release are you having trouble with ?

I just downloaded and flashed (a freshly zero wiped sd card)  the September 03 Mobian Nightly release,  and it is More than just

working,   it is running very well on my brand new PMOS Convergent phone.

I have not tried with a sim card yet, but on wifi, Firefox is running great, I have it set to maximum privacy settings,

the Pine64 home pictures look like they are on a Iphone.

I only have one sim card between 3 Pine phones, at the moment.

I will edit this when I get a chance to try the cellular performance.

This is  "Out of the Box"   just Flash & Run ... !     I Must say WOW !  My best experience yet on a Pine phone test !

Add :
 Did a quick test with a sim card, sms/text works in & out bound,  Voice calls work both in and out,  speaker phone did not work.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
According to the bug report linked in the first post, the 03 September nightly is the first to fix the bug. Woohoo!
I was using the most recent stable release, but I'll give nightly a try now. Sounds like that fixes the problem.

It works! My first impression is that I like it a lot more than PostmarketOS. It's much more responsive.

According to UBports Telegram feed, the bug is also present when trying to run/install Ubuntu Touch on the new 3GB phones. I believe they are working on a fix.
PinePhone UBports CE and Mobian on SD, Mint Mobile, Pinebook Pro Manjaro
With build-script on https://gitlab.com/mobian1/mobian-recipes/ I made a image file. Convergence package Pinephone boots with this version.
(09-03-2020, 04:15 AM)Hyz Wrote: According to the bug report linked in the first post, the 03 September nightly is the first to fix the bug.  Woohoo!

Same for me too.

I just flashed the nightly 20200903 image to my pinephone (pmos edition) emmc and it booted up successfully.
I happen to have 2 brand new PMOS Convergent Pkg phones,

I think the Mobian running from sd card  ''may''  be quicker/snappier than the eMMC install of Post Market.

Not trying to bad mouth PMOS, it seems to be an 'ok' operating system. (no complaints)

I a thinking of running a test between the two, such as start-up, etc...

BUT,  Inquiring minds may find that test "interesting"  ..?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,513 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,710 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  apt trying to install a package version not in the repo chainingsolid 1 411 11-12-2023, 03:54 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
  How to check if tow-boot is installed? jojuma 3 804 09-29-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: tllim
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
Last Post: vusra