Incorrect Passphrase!
I thought I had an issue with the passphrase for the encryption. However, the keyboard at boot up differs from the installer and elsewhere because if you hit the caps key, the keys stay caps and don't reset to lower case. So, it could be, like I found, that I had to slow down and make sure I was typing upper or lower case characters.
OK, here are the three sentences you need to read and understand to overcome this issue:

1. When you mess up your passwords by assuming the use of passWORDs will work, use Rufus(https://rufus.ie/) or similar tool to reload an OS(like http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone...ler.img.xz) onto a MicroSD card.
2. Like stated above, even though there is no mention in the "quick start guide" that two of three "passwords" *must* be numerical only
3. Only the SSH password can be alpha-numeric.

Now, go have fun with your new Linux phone!
(09-05-2020, 10:35 AM)skitzobunny Wrote: OK, here are the three sentences you need to read and understand to overcome this issue:

1. When you mess up your passwords by assuming the use of passWORDs will work, use Rufus(https://rufus.ie/) or similar tool to reload an OS(like http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone...ler.img.xz) onto a MicroSD card.
2. Like stated above, even though there is no mention in the "quick start guide" that two of three "passwords" *must* be numerical only
3. Only the SSH password can be alpha-numeric.

Now, go have fun with your new Linux phone!

That's interesting.  Because the phrase to work with my encrypted phone is alpha-numeric.  Just to get into the phone on boot up, the only numeric only passcode is for unlocking my screen once the phone is booted up.

And I managed to log into mine after I noticed the virtual keyboard at the boot up screen was not resetting from all-caps to lower case once I hit the capital letter...not evil, not bad...just different than I've seen in mobile devices.

Just curious where the numeric-only "password" came from in statement 2.
Guys... The password used for full disk encryption, the one you enter every time you boot up the phone is not related to the pin it asks for once your device has booted, the one Phosh asks you. The installer forces you to setup a numerical pin only exactly for this and allows more types of characters for the full disk encryption.

If it doesn't accept your password then you're just typing it wrong. I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with this.
(09-10-2020, 09:06 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: If it doesn't accept your password then you're just typing it wrong. I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with this.

The virtual keyboard. Once you hit the caps key, the letter stay upper case. Most things I've seen in the mobile world reset after you hit the character you wanted in upper case and put the keyboard back into lower case mode.
Thanks,

Vidarr

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
-The Tower of the Elephant, Robert E. Howard, Weird Tales, March 1933

"I blame it on Twilight." In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.
- Owen Pitt, "Monster Hunter: Vendetta"
(09-10-2020, 09:06 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: Guys... The password used for full disk encryption, the one you enter every time you boot up the phone is not related to the pin it asks for once your device has booted, the one Phosh asks you. The installer forces you to setup a numerical pin only exactly for this and allows more types of characters for the full disk encryption.

If it doesn't accept your password then you're just typing it wrong. I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with this.

Not completely true! I had the same issue with the encryption passphrase being incorrect. I did notice the changes in the keyboard so I made the appropriate changes in how I typed the passphrase in and I tried it many times with many variations. The only way I was able to decrypt the drive was to boot the phone with jumpdrive 0.6 and use my laptop to enter the passphrase.

I suspect one that #1 or #2 listed below was the cause for my issues, although the key board would slide up super slow like it wasn't working correctly, and there was no prompt telling me to enter a passphrase until after I entered something and it resets. Either way there are definitely some software bugs

1) the onboard key pad for the decryption can not accept the tilde(~) characture

2) the password is too long

My password was 17 alpha characters long including one tilde character. The password also extended beyond the input box and went off the screen. I didn't look into an error codes or trouble shoot once I got into the drive remotely because I just wanted to get the phone booted so I could test it out, but I'm fairly confident that my particular issue was cause by one of the mentioned issues
edit: partially solved in my own phone after extract some times the battery, and change privacy motherboard pins.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Incorrect Passphrase - FIx | How To Reinstall Image. NobodyNew1 0 2,093 09-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Last Post: NobodyNew1