Initial thoughts, PinePhone PostMarket edition.
(09-08-2020, 07:00 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I did a manual update from the 'onboard software store', and it has usable audio again now.

>> One difference I have noticed when reading the many posts, every one of them mentions turning on the SSH & encryption... 
    I skipped that when I first started my phone and,  it "Just Worked"....

I figured for "Testing" the phone,  encryption was not necessary, but now I wonder if that is what 'broke'  many of the phones.?

Just Wondering....

Very interesting, you say the audio is working after a manual update?  I'll have to try that!

BTW, I didn't enable SSH or disk encryption and I had the issue off the bat.  I'll try updating the phone.

(09-08-2020, 08:46 PM)Xerxes 8933A/A Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 07:00 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I did a manual update from the 'onboard software store', and it has usable audio again now.

I figured for "Testing" the phone,  encryption was not necessary, but now I wonder if that is what 'broke'  many of the phones.?

Just Wondering....

Very interesting, you say the audio is working after a manual update?  I'll have to try that!

BTW, I didn't enable SSH or disk encryption and I had the issue off the bat.  I'll try updating the phone.

We have two threads going on in slightly different tangents, but I'll post both for the benefit of anyone coming along after to find the information.

I tried the updates but recieving call audio still didn't work after.  I then had the bright idea to use the jumper block to disconnect the earphone from the audio circuit and test it.

That did make the call audio work. It is hardware bug as far as I can tell!

If I have switch 6 in the ON position (headphone enabled) the call audio is broken completely (distorted, inaubiable etc)

If I have switch 6 in the OFF position (uart enabled, headphone disabled), the call audio works properly!

Is there any chance you changed the switch position 6 on the jumper block to off and then just thought the updates fixed it after?  Your issue sounds the same as mine would be interesting if the same thing can happen with different causes, or perhaps we can pinpoint the exact cause!
@plainenough

Will  you continue to test this release that was shipped with the PMOS CE phone or will you download a fresher release from the PMOS repository .?

The Developer I heard from,   said this version was over a month old when they "Released" it to Pine64...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-09-2020, 07:41 AM)bcnaz Wrote: @plainenough

Will  you continue to test this release that was shipped with the PMOS CE phone or will you download a fresher release from the PMOS repository .?

The Developer I heard from,   said this version was over a month old when they "Released" it to Pine64...

I'm going to continue to update an poke at the release as shipped. Although the image was old, their update process does bring in all changes. So there is no use of re flashing when an update will do.
(09-08-2020, 05:34 PM)Xerxes 8933A/A Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 03:55 PM)vandys Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 09:19 PM)Xerxes 8933A/A Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 06:56 PM)vandys Wrote: No audio on phone calls.  Texting works.  I could git in an Access Point name, but not all the extra dope.  So suspect MMS won't work.  Texting did.

Vandys can you elaborate?  I have just got the 3GB version and i have terrible audio on calls.  Sounds like a blown or crushed speaker.  Is this "normal", or rather what you ment when you said no audio on calls?  Should I be looking at a software fix, or is this hardware?
I did calls, and simply didn't hear anything in either direction.  With early SW like this, I'd give 99% or more odds that the HW is OK and it's a SW problem.

Ahh...  OK  I mistook the product page saying calls working as in you could actually hear a call. LOL.

From the store page "core functionality of the PinePhone – such as telephone calls, SMS messages, LTE, GPS, GPU acceleration, etc. – is operational,"

Wikipedia page for postmarketos is a similar story for pinephone "calls operational"

So that's a little misleading at best.

Thanks for confirming that it didn't work for you either, makes me a bit hopeful that this phone can be at least fixed in time then, and that I don't have a faulty unit.

I guess the next stop is postmarketos development community and to start working on actually getting this phone to make calls.
I am having the same issue. When making a call the speaker hisses and crackles like it is blown.
Good to find I'm not alone. The microphone works fine - the person on the receiving end can hear what the pinephone says just fine.

(PostmarketOS 3Gb on T-mobile network Los Angeles)
(09-09-2020, 12:33 PM)professorfate Wrote: I am having the same issue. When making a call the speaker hisses and crackles like it is blown.
Good to find I'm not alone. The microphone works fine - the person on the receiving end can hear what the pinephone says just fine.

(PostmarketOS 3Gb on T-mobile network Los Angeles)

Sound a little nuts, but this is how I solved it..

1) Turn off the phone
2) Turn switch 6 from headphone (ON position) to UART (OFF position)
3) Turn it back on.
4) The phone should make calls then without the distortion in the audio received.

The phone seems to work without call audio distortion as long as UART mode is enabled (headphone disabled)

To get the phone to work while switch 6 is in headphone mode..  This is weird ..

1) Get a pair of headphones.. plug in
2) Try inserting a headphone in and out of the jack a bunch of times...!
3) Do a sound test from systems system sound test from settings.. swap the output device to headphone. You should hear it (left/right is reversed at the moment.)
4) Set the call audio to the headphone.
5) Make a call..  Hopefully you can hear it though the headphone!  (If not power off, remove battery, swap to UART mode again, verify it works in call with earpiece, power off remove battery, then try again with headphone test)

6) If the headphone is working in a call  (it might be low volume, or you might only hear one headphone!) Then unplug the headphone and set the audio to earpeice..   Now for some reason the phone is working without the distrortion, and atleast mine continued to do so the 2nd time I did this. Even after having battery removed.
To be a bit more precise, my first few calls were not perfect, first calls out did not finish just went back to dial pad.
then a few calls of no audio, then it started working.
Over-all it has been acceptable.
Last night the audio seemed like the 'gain' was turned up and the in and out audio was kind of breaking up.
I did the recent update and audio sounded close to decent.
Just this evening the phone started making click-click..........click-click noices while on the charger..?
Kind of like it is being plugged into the charger and then unplugged...?
Every 3 or 4 minutes, very distracting. Kind of loud.
No updates available at this time.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
The click-click noise did eventually go away
Not to take anything away from PMOS, but I recently put Mobian on the pinephone.

The call quality is night and day. I get clear call audio now no matter the setting of the mic / uart switch.  So it really must be drivers / config.

I couldn't get this working on PMOS up to date as of a few days ago .. still broken robot audio sporadically, and bad quality, low volume, and yes switch flicking sometimes fixed it for a period but it seemed to return.

So until PMOS get a bit further ahead I think Mobians the way to go. 

Install the latest release, then sudo apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.. Fairly good experience all round and way better audio (clear and loud calls) on the handset.
(11-18-2020, 12:37 AM)Xerxes 8933A/A Wrote: Not to take anything away from PMOS, but I recently put Mobian on the pinephone.

The call quality is night and day. I get clear call audio now no matter the setting of the mic / uart switch.  So it really must be drivers / config.

I couldn't get this working on PMOS up to date as of a few days ago .. still broken robot audio sporadically, and bad quality, low volume, and yes switch flicking sometimes fixed it for a period but it seemed to return.

So until PMOS get a bit further ahead I think Mobians the way to go. 

Install the latest release, then sudo apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.. Fairly good experience all round and way better audio (clear and loud calls) on the handset.
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Software app in postmarket gnome shell Uturn 1 576 09-06-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  [Not Pinephone] Phosh Autologin LienRag 11 1,946 09-01-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Issues after installing latest PostMarket OS with POSH xen314 4 1,314 08-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: xen314
  Pinephone 64 PostMarketOS edition Battery Issues, Not Hardware Issue X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,341 02-11-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: acid andy
  Postmarket os printer setup Chief 3 2,142 01-21-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  PostmarketOS v22.06 Plasma Mobile on PinePhone Pro & No MMS X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,366 11-07-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0
  PostmarketOS v22.06 Plasma Mobile on PinePhone Pro & WiFi Connect to SSID X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,132 11-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Chief
  no screen rotation on pinephone pro with postmarketOS + phosh elode 2 2,635 07-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Last Post: a.h.littorin
  Pinephone Keyboard Utilities on postmarketOS elof 2 3,143 06-20-2022, 01:33 PM
Last Post: elof
  PinePhone, getting started totilele 1 1,458 06-15-2022, 01:56 AM
Last Post: wibble