Pinebook Pro Won't Accept Login
Now's your opportunity if you have ideas about different operating systems. I can tell you that Armbian is pretty reliable. But you don't get things like battery status in a default installation. Debian works well too. Of course there's a plethora of operating systems to choose from now.
(09-01-2020, 11:45 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Now's your opportunity if you have ideas about different operating systems.  I can tell you that Armbian is pretty reliable.  But you don't get things like battery status in a default installation.  Debian works well too.  Of course there's a plethora of operating systems to choose from now.
Excellent. Thank you very much. I really appreciate the assistance and insights.

Good thing I was looking for something I could tinker with and learn from. There's lots of learning going on before I even get it working.

Best,
I have the same problem, after setting up and configuring user name and password then rebooted to to start tinkering the login screen would not accept the user name and password. How do I rectify this? At this point I cannot use the PBP..
(09-02-2020, 08:38 AM)sccarey59@gmail.com Wrote: I have the same problem, after setting up and configuring user name and password then rebooted to to start tinkering the login screen would not accept the user name and password.  How do I rectify this? At this point I cannot use the PBP..
I'm still a newbie, but from what I can tell, the only fix is to boot from the SD card and try to set it up again. Without being able to login, I can't do anything.

Of course, there's no promise that will work. I'll have to figure it out and let everyone know whether or not it's a success. I might go through all that and get exactly the same thing, in which case I currently have a paperweight running Linux.

Best,
With the number of people using Manjaro on these machines now, these kind of problems are very likely to be fixed soon.

Otherwise, consider that Debian was the default OS prior to Manjaro.  You could still use Debian.  And it's not like that's been stagnating since Manjaro came along.

Here's what I did when I ran into problems with the OS on my eMMC: I gathered up all the stray MicroSD cards round the house and installed Chrome OS, Armbian, Manjaro, Android, and a few others on them.  I had to turn off the eMMC, but it gave me a chance to play with the PBP with different operating systems before I sussed the eMMC troubles I created.
(09-02-2020, 03:24 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: With the number of people using Manjaro on these machines now, these kind of problems are very likely to be fixed soon.

Otherwise, consider that Debian was the default OS prior to Manjaro.  You could still use Debian.  And it's not like that's been stagnating since Manjaro came along.

Here's what I did when I ran into problems with the OS on my eMMC: I gathered up all the stray MicroSD cards round the house and installed Chrome OS, Armbian, Manjaro, Android, and a few others on them.  I had to turn off the eMMC, but it gave me a chance to play with the PBP with different operating systems before I sussed the eMMC troubles I created.
That's a great idea. Thank you. If I'm interested in learning, this is a great way to go. 

Thank you again.

Best,

Graham
Err, it is quite fast,, editing shadow, in your case emmc/etc/shadow
(check where you are, so as not to edit SD shadow,, pwd ,, print working directory (should start /media/....)

Just yesterday, I had to edit shadow,, damn password nazi's,,
here, have a blank password, how do you like them apples?
Oh, so now you'll take the password of MY CHOICE without complaint?. Well, good

Use often up-arrow and tab(completion) to reduce typing and avoid errors
mount|grep mmc (are there 2 blks? mmcblk1 & mmcblk2? If so, emmc mounted)
mount|grep media (if a SD boot, emmc likely mounted on /media, you want p2, not boot)

So, cd to emmc/etc, become root, copy shadow for backup, remove password hash between 1st 2 colons ":"
so it ends up (yes, the password hash is rather long, 50-60 chars, this is normal)
root::<other stuff>
Since most dm's don't like a root logon, do for $USER as well ($USER= your login name, bottom of shadow)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,902 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,220 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,121 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt