Pinebook Pro Won't Accept Login
Hello,

I set up my Pinebook Pro as instructed. However, when it reboots, it won't accept my user name or password. Also, the default language appears to be Catallan, which I did not set and is difficult to understand.

Can anyone assist? I'd be happy enough to wipe it and set it up again, but I can't seem to do that from the login screen.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Best,
What OS are you using?
(08-31-2020, 09:09 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: What OS are you using?
Hello,

Thank you for your response. I'm using Manjaro. This is my first setup with the machine. I created my account, it rebooted, and now it won't accept the username or login I created. And everything is in Catalan.

Best,
(08-31-2020, 09:12 PM)GFreeman Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 09:09 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: What OS are you using?
Hello,

Thank you for your response. I'm using Manjaro. This is my first setup with the machine. I created my account, it rebooted, and now it won't accept the username or login I created. And everything is in Catalan.

Best,
This happened to me with Manjaro.  The language settings were wrong, so the keyboard layout was completely wrong.  Typing an "L" gave an "R", and a "U" gave an "E".  I was able to unhide the password and see that I was "typing" the wrong letters.  It took me a while to figure out how to type the right letters, but I was able to login and then change the keyboard settings to "English" "Default".
Hello,

Thank you. The keyboard layout seems fine. I can type my password and user name, but it doesn't accept them. The on-screen language is Catalan. I don't know if the input language is. There don't appear to be any diacritics that might be messing it up. I can't get past the login to do any tinkering, since it simply doesn't accept them.

Is there an easy way to wipe the machine and restore factory settings from the login screen?

Best,
I have had a working system running the default Manjaro. This morning, I let the package manager update. While this was happening, I walked away and the screen locked. When I cam back, I could no longer unlock the screen.

I tried jumping to a virtual console (ctrl+alt+f2) and tried to log in as both of my users and as root, all failed. I tried rebooting, but still cannot login! I have verified the keyboard layouts and passwords.

I am guessing a package was updated that hosed authentication, maybe a pam module? I didn't look too closely at what was being updated.

I suppose I am going to try to live boot, and see if I can chroot into the partition and manually change the root password, unless anyone has any other suggestions.
Well, if you have a bootable SD & can become root.....
I had to do some thing like this in the past week
I don't know what $USER:!: means, the !,,, but when I made it $USER::<other-stuff>,
it all worked
So, boot SD, mount emmc, cd emmc/etc, become root, copy for backup, edit emmc/etc/shadow
root will be ,,, root:<hashedPassword>:<otherStuff>
change to root::<otherStuff> (no spaces)
then root will be passwordless
You can also do that to $USER ($USER=login name)
Be smart, make a copy before editing
I was able to resolve this by:

Installing Manjaro to an sd card and booting. Then mounting the emmc drive. I first tried removing the root password from /etc/shadow. This didn't work. I then chroot'd into my system and ran passwd to create a new password. This still didn't work!

The problem turned out to be an upgrade to pam that included a new configuration in /etc/pam.d/system-login. However, pamac, during the upgrade, didn't properly overwrite the old version of this file, and instead created /etc/pam.d/system-login.pacnew.

Copying the /etc/pam.d/system-login.pacnew to /etc/pam.d/system-login resolved the issue for me.
I had the keyboard layout problem happen again today, and had to type the correct password the same incorrect way. I have updated everything and haven't run into the pam problem, but it seems we have two completely different issues.
All,

Thank you for your help. I think my only option is to boot from the SD and try to start the setup again. I haven't been able to to past the login since I got the machine, so restoring to factory settings has no consequences. Hopefully it goes better this time.

Best,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,892 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 165 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 612 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,216 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,117 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt