Proximity sensor always active - screen turns off randomly?
I first thought there was some problem with my Pinephone's screen or its driver since it turns off randomly, e.g. while web browsing. After a while I realised that this happens when I have my fingers close to the top front of the phone - i.e. this is caused by the proximity sensor.

Has anyone else noticed this? Shouldn't the proximity sensor only be active during a phone call?
(08-27-2020, 02:45 PM)bitnick Wrote: I first thought there was some problem with my Pinephone's screen or its driver since it turns off randomly, e.g. while web browsing. After a while I realised that this happens when I have my fingers close to the top front of the phone - i.e. this is caused by the proximity sensor.

Has anyone else noticed this? Shouldn't the proximity sensor only be active during a phone call?

I haven't noticed this but ill keep my eye out for it for sure! Might be a good one to add to the daily tests Im doing

EDIT/
I do see the same issue. the proximity sensor is always on
I remember that we used the proximity sensor on the N900 as a button. Good times.
This is a known issue in Phosh: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phosh/-/issues/273

Seems like the solution is to add a signal of some sort (dbus?) to let the calls app enable the sensor when it makes sense to do so.
(08-27-2020, 02:45 PM)bitnick Wrote: I first thought there was some problem with my Pinephone's screen or its driver since it turns off randomly, e.g. while web browsing. After a while I realised that this happens when I have my fingers close to the top front of the phone - i.e. this is caused by the proximity sensor.

Sorry, I don't get how do you trigger this problem

I have been browsing and trying to get this effect, but it never turned it off.

Is this happening all the time? I cannot reproduce it.

thanks
With the phone in portrait mode, if I have my fingers near the front top left area (left of the ear speaker, above the screen), the screen blanks. This is really not an issue in portrait mode, but in landscape mode my index finger often ends up there at rest. So it's quite annoying.
I see now, yes it is very annoying. The link @bitnik provided is 6 months old and it doesn't look anything is done. I don't think to turn the sensor off should be the option if this also blocks fading when is need it.
I have the same issue on pinephone CE with all the latest updates as of today. Anything hovering over the top left corner of the phone will activate the proximity sensor and dim the screen to black. The proximity censor should only be activated during an active phone call right?
(09-10-2020, 05:46 PM)ergo owl Wrote: The proximity censor should only be activated during an active phone call right?

It *should* be that way yes, but for now phosh can't tell whether there's an active phone call or not.
(09-10-2020, 05:46 PM)ergo owl Wrote: The proximity censor should only be activated during an active phone call right?
As the bug report says, the issue is a bit more complex than that. The sensor should be activated during a phone call, but not if using a headset or speaker phone. So only the call app knows when the sensor should be activated -> phosh needs to implement a signal of some sort which allows the call app to activate the sensor, and the call app needs to be made to send such a signal.

For those of us not using the phone for phonecalls, the sensor can apparently be set to be always disabled: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...6#pid77266 (I haven't had time to try it myself.)

Edit: Seems to work. Note that this most likely also disabled the ambient light sensor.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen auto-rotation sensitivity mdk 0 214 12-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Last Post: mdk
  Screen stay black unless power key pressed short freelectro 0 602 06-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  Unsuspend → Black screen mdk 15 4,780 06-22-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Melechtna
  Lock screen question: always squeekboard tuxcall 1 1,152 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Haibara23
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 960 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  how to split screen? andrew907 2 1,420 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Last Post: andrew907
  Proximity sensor is oversensitive (was "Screen blanks when making call") treebeard 5 2,647 08-02-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  on screen keyboard woes vusra 1 1,179 07-18-2022, 03:29 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Giving certain audio apps priority on the lock screen and pulldown 3x5co 0 808 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Won't boot, black screen mdk 4 2,583 07-03-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Chief