Pinephone Verizon Compatibility
I just went into the local verizon store a few hours ago to activate my Pinephone. I was told that it was not compatible with verizon after they put in the IMEI. I have seen a few other people on the forum using their Pinephone with verizon. Any idea what is going on?
(08-26-2020, 05:06 PM)syrinx Wrote: I just went into the local verizon store a few hours ago to activate my Pinephone. I was told that it was not compatible with verizon after they put in the IMEI. I have seen a few other people on the forum using their Pinephone with verizon. Any idea what is going on?
You may have to escalate it being sure to make clear that it is a verizon approved quectel eg25-g modem capable of VoLTE. Verizon is being squirly about that lately because of the 5g change over. The local sales rep likely won't have any clue about the pinephone. So, don't take that as the final answer. Several people have gotten theirs on the network after escalating it to tech support.
(08-27-2020, 01:28 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 05:06 PM)syrinx Wrote: I just went into the local verizon store a few hours ago to activate my Pinephone. I was told that it was not compatible with verizon after they put in the IMEI. I have seen a few other people on the forum using their Pinephone with verizon. Any idea what is going on?
You may have to escalate it being sure to make clear that it is a verizon approved quectel eg25-g modem capable of VoLTE. Verizon is being squirly about that lately because of the 5g change over. The local sales rep likely won't have any clue about the pinephone. So, don't take that as the final answer. Several people have gotten theirs on the network after escalating it to tech support.
Okay, thanks.
I think most people just use a different phone to activate the sim card.

Though I think the fact that Verizon only works on 4g would be a deal breaker anyhow...
(08-28-2020, 03:45 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I think most people just use a different phone to activate the sim card.

Though I think the fact that Verizon only works on 4g would be a deal  breaker anyhow...
It would be a deal breaker, however verizon is the only carrier that works reliably in my area. I don't like them, or how much they charge, but I don't really have a choice
(08-28-2020, 03:13 PM)syrinx Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:45 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I think most people just use a different phone to activate the sim card.

Though I think the fact that Verizon only works on 4g would be a deal  breaker anyhow...
It would be a deal breaker, however verizon is the only carrier that works reliably in my area. I don't like them, or how much they charge, but I don't really have a choice
You could use a Verizon network MVNO that is cheaper and less restrictive. US Mobile, Visible, and PagePlus for instance.
(08-28-2020, 06:45 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

You could use a Verizon network MVNO that is cheaper and less restrictive. US Mobile, Visible, and PagePlus for instance.

These are good suggestions. Have anyone tried them?
What about goolge fi? I saw people mentioning it, and I think can use all networks (verizon, at&t, ...)
(08-29-2020, 01:20 PM)daniel Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 06:45 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

These are good suggestions. Have anyone tried them?
What about goolge fi? I saw people mentioning it, and I think can use all networks (verizon, at&t, ...)r
I know I saw someone try one of the verizon MVNOs, but can't remember where. Someone will hopefully test them and report at some point. I use Google Fi. The Pinephone lacks support to take advantage of the automatic network hopping, so it's stuck on t-mobile. Google Fi uses t-mobile, sprint and us cellular. That may change now that sprint is being merged with t-mobile. Haven't seen any updates on new partner prospects though. Red pocket, US Mobile, Tracphone, and a few others let you pick a network as well, but only google fi does so dynamically.
Mobian is pretty much fully functional with Verizon in my testing. There was an issue receiving texts, but that seems to have been fixed a few weeks ago. It can take a bit when first setting up to use mobile data, since the APNs can take a while to show up, but afterwards it just works in my experience.

I haven't tried activating a new account with it, though.
I believe there is a "Carriers" thread, - however it is kind of buried because no one has posted
anything there in quite some time.
> Threads are posted in order of "most recent activity"....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 534 04-22-2024, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 337 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 227 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,846 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,772 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 597 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,332 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 489 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,671 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,932 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma