Serpent Linux will be released with day one support for PBP!
Ex-Solus Head Dev Ikey Doherty will be releasing thier new Linux Distro, Serpent with day one support for the PBP! 

"Serpent OS is that it will ship with a full-featured KDE Plasma desktop environment. However, the initial pre-release builds will be shipping with Sway, a tiling window manager and Wayland compositor, since Serpent OS will be a Wayland-only distro."

Link:  https://9to5linux.com/serpent-os-to-offe...kde-plasma

More detail on the SerpentOS.com about page:

"As we’re taking a distro-first, compatibility-later approach, our design decisions will allow us to take some bold steps. We’ll also be able to incorporate all of the more sensible design improvements in Linux distribution design over the last decade or so:

No more usrbin split
    100% clang-built throughout (including kernel)
    musl as libc, relying on compiler optimisations instead of inline asm
    libc++ instead of libstdc++
    LLVM’s binutils variants (lld, as, etc.)
    Mixed source/binary distribution
    Moving away from x86_64-generic baseline to newer CPUs, including Intel and AMD specific optimisations
    Capability based subscriptions in package manager (Hardware/ user choice / etc)
    UEFI only. No more legacy boot.
    Completely open source, down to the bootstrap / rebuild scripts
    Seriously optimized for serious workloads.
    Third party applications reliant on containers only. No compat-hacks
    Wayland-only. X11 compatibility via containers will be investigated
    Fully stateless with management tools and upstreaming of patches
    Lots, lots more. We’ll blog about it.

Opinionated By Default

A recurring theme that holds back the development of world-class Linux, is high tolerance for those holding Linux back. A perfect example is NVIDIA* and their lack of support for accelerated Wayland support on their GPUs. Consequently, our project won’t tolerate such decisions and will instead blacklist the NVIDIA proprietary drivers from the distribution.

There are other examples that will emerge over time, and will become quite clear.

The time for Linux distributions giving in, with thousands of man hours wasted working around negative actors, had come to an end."

...Very interesting Smile
It's fantastic to see system-wide use of musl and llvm/clang, but I'd steer clear of this distribution if you value stability. Ikey has unfortunately made a name for himself as a ship jumper. Regardless, I hope this distribution doesn't suffer from the same paltry repository and tendency to break as Solus.
(08-24-2020, 01:54 PM)jed Wrote: It's fantastic to see system-wide use of musl and llvm/clang, but I'd steer clear of this distribution if you value stability. Ikey has unfortunately made a name for himself as a ship jumper. Regardless, I hope this distribution doesn't suffer from the same paltry repository and tendency to break as Solus.

Agreed.  Soon as I read the About page on their website I knew I would not be leaving Manjaro for Serpent any time soon.   I am going to be watching it with interest though.  I hope they pull it off, but there are good reasons why distros do not optimize to the hilt (they want compatibility with whatever the user might have) and include binary blobs (people just want their devices to work).   It might work out well for PBP users, as the HW is pretty much set and Panfrost seems to be working well....but I guess we will have to wait and see...

...and I thought Ikey had gone off to write some gaming engine...wonder if he ever finished it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 204 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,322 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 606 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro Luke 100 156,158 05-03-2023, 06:10 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Armbian is [edit: no longer] dropping support for Pinebook Pro TRS-80 4 4,024 12-23-2022, 12:01 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  DiY - Installing Void Linux ARM On The Pinebook Pro vincele 1 1,124 11-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Armbian VPU decoding support coming soon LivingLinux 0 747 11-13-2022, 02:32 PM
Last Post: LivingLinux
  Arch Linux ARM root filesystem SKiljan 24 20,115 09-24-2022, 03:11 AM
Last Post: alexandre
Information Install Void Linux with near-full-disk encryption dumetrulo 3 2,947 09-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: petersen77
  Help with Kali Linux wifi not working but works with Manjaro PineSupporter 2 2,285 08-25-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Niko