broken sd card reader?
Any idea what I could try to do when any sd card that I try on my pinebook pro gives I/O error when I try to write to it? I've so far tried 3 cards, the first of which I used earlier to try several distros on the pinebook pro and it always functioned flawlessly and was really fast. After I got the I/O error on that sd card I purchased two new sd cards but both of them give an I/O error straight away when I try to write on them on the pinebook pro.

Unfortunately I don't have any other sd card readers with which to try if the cards can be used and I really don't want to buy unneccessary hardware just for troubleshooting. Is there anything I could try with just the pinebook pro?
Is the SD card mounted with write permission + what is the exact text of the error message?

Are you aware that SD cards can be non-genuine and need validation with a test using a tool like the f3 tools? The f3 tool writes files to the card to verify the capacity of the card. It's better to know as best you can find out up front that an SD card is good before trying to use it, or rely on it as it may already be a dud.
(08-16-2020, 10:47 AM)lot378 Wrote: Is the SD card mounted with write permission + what is the exact text of the error message?

Are you aware that SD cards can be non-genuine and need validation with a test using a tool like the f3 tools? The f3 tool writes files to the card to verify the capacity of the card. It's better to know as best you can find out up front that an SD card is good before trying to use it, or rely on it as it may already be a dud.

The exact text of the error message depends on the program I try to write on the card(s) with. "/dev/mmcblk1: fsync device failed: I/O-error", "error writing xyz bytes to offset 0: I/O-error (g-io-error-quark, 0)" and "timed out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark, 0).

I can use the cards with other devices, like a navigator, and one of the cards (SanDisk Ultra 64gb A1) used to work on my pinebook pro before I installed Manjaro on it. Other cards are Kingston 32gb HC cards, that I didn't try on the pinebook pro before switching to Manjaro.

To me those I/O errors seem to be saying that all the cards are broken? Which is clearly not true since they do work, just not on the pinebook pro. My deduction therefore is that the card reader must be faulty, or that there's something wrong with my Manjaro installation. I must confess I'm not familiar with sd card readers or cards since I haven't had to use them for close to a decade and never with a computer, so there's probably something that I'm overlooking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried to boot to the SD since installing Manjaro? If not, give it a try, it may help determine if the problem is hardware or software.
(09-20-2020, 09:40 AM)MtnSk8 Wrote: Have you tried to boot to the SD since installing Manjaro? If not, give it a try, it may help determine if the problem is hardware or software.

Unfortunately I don't currently have an SD that has an OS on it, I'd have to buy a card reader so I have something that can write to sd cards. I guess that's something I'll have to do though.
I am in the same situation: PBP with Manjaro, SanDisk 64Gb 1A, IO error. I succeeded before in booting from SD, but not since installing Manjaro. Having another computer, I could flash an OS on the card (Manjaro again), but it does not boot either (sometimes I get an error about the filesystem being read-only). There are mutliple other threads talking about the same issue, btw: <https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10696&highlight=sd+card+not+working>.
(11-16-2020, 01:10 PM)Henry Wrote: I am in the same situation: PBP with Manjaro, SanDisk 64Gb 1A, IO error. I succeeded before in booting from SD, but not since installing Manjaro. Having another computer, I could flash an OS on the card (Manjaro again), but it does not boot either (sometimes I get an error about the filesystem being read-only). There are mutliple other threads talking about the same issue, btw: <https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10696&highlight=sd+card+not+working>.

Thank you for your post. Some time ago I finally broke down and bought an SD card reader, put mrfixit2001's debian on it and booting from that installed debian on the eMMC using daniels install script. SD card reader on the pinebook pro is once again working flawlessly. So the problem was with Manjaro. Combined with the fact that when I first installed manjaro it could not be updated and new software could not be installed without combing forums for some hacky go-arounds, I must say I am completely underwhelmed with manjaro. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with that distro ever again.

Btw, I also tried first to put manjaro on an SD card but it would not boot, so the same thing that you (and it seems a bunch of other people, too) are experiencing.
Could this be a driver error?
(11-22-2020, 10:43 PM)Raniyah Wrote: Could this be a driver error?
Why is it a driver problem?
You can check it on Google to see if anyone also encounters this situation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 629 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,067 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Broken usb-c to hdmi with kernel 5.18+ rfm83 6 2,687 01-22-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  Cannot Boot From SD Card xp19375 4 2,670 11-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can't boot when SD card inserted 0daysfordays 3 1,681 09-17-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Broken boot loader Tango Drango 4 2,294 08-15-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Tango Drango
  Problem SD card willahughes 1 1,503 03-22-2022, 09:27 AM
Last Post: jiyong
  Kali Linux on SD card boot wils91 5 4,147 03-08-2022, 04:39 AM