Questions about the PinePhone component list
I have compiled a list of the components in the PinePhone v1.2a by looking at the schematic:

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=...onent_list

However, I have several questions, and maybe someone here can answer them.

What do the abbreviations DU, ED and FB mean when they are used to identify components?
  • DU : "U" is for an integrated circuit, but not sure what the "D" means. (e.g. DU1)
  • ED : "D" is for a diode, but not sure what "E" means. (e.g. ED600)
  • FB : ? (e.g. FB804, FB805)

Also, I see 2 accelerometers/gyroscopes on page 12 of the schematic:
  • U1202: TDK InvenSense MPU6050 six-axis, low-power MEMS gyroscope and accelerometer, QFN-24 4x4x0.9 mm [datasheet]
  • U1204: Bosch Sensortek BMI120 3-axis gyroscope and accelerometer, LGA-14 2.5x3.0x0.83 mm
Note: Listed as “NC/BMI120”, where “NC” probably means “not connected”, so there may be circuits in the PCB for the part, but it is not placed on the board. This is probably an alternative to the MPU6050.

It looks like the Bosch part is not placed on the board, however, it looks like there are two magnetometers in the Pinephone and I can't figure out why:
  • U1200: STmicroelectronics LIS3MDL ultra-low-power three-axis magnetometer, LGA-12 2.0x2.0x1.0 mm [datasheet]

• U1203: Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM) AK09911 3-axis electronic compass IC with Hall sensor, 8-pin WL-CSP (BGA), 1.2×1.2×0.5 mm
    or
  • U1203: Voltafield Technology Corp. (VTC) AF8133J 3-axis electronic compass with proprietary anisotropic magneto resistive (AMR) technology, 8-pin WLCSP 1.2x1.2x0.5 mm
Note: Both parts are listed, so have to check the PCB to see which was used. It is not clear why this part is needed when the device already has the LIS3MDL.

Can someone please check on their PinePhone whether there are really two magnetometers and which models are being used.

Another question is whether the schematic for the Pine64 doesn't include all the circuits. I noticed that the schematic for the Librem 5 has twice as many parts as the PinePhone and has a lot more detail. I have compiled a list of the parts in the Librem 5 and the difference is noticeable:
https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community...onent-list

Is the schematic for the  PinePhone complete or did Pine64 leave out some of the circuits?
there's only one DU and it's on the memory bus so I'm guessing it's an integrated circuit for memory
ED diodes are zener diodes used to protect circuits from back voltage
FB seems to be some sort of transciever
(08-13-2020, 10:39 PM)hiimtye Wrote: there's only one DU and it's on the memory bus so I'm guessing it's an integrated circuit for memory
ED diodes are zener diodes used to protect circuits from back voltage
FB seems to be some sort of transciever

I figured out that "FB" is for ferrite bead. I think that "ED" stands for electrostatic discharge, which Zener diodes can be used to protect against.

Here is what I put in the wiki:

Quote:DU : Only used in the "DU1", which is an integrated circuit for memory
ED : Zener diode to protect against electrostatic discharge
FB : ferrite bead
I also have questions about the abbreviations for the pages of the schematic:
P.9 T-CADD/USB
P.12 SENSORS/MT/KEY

What does "T-CADD" mean? Maybe TransFlash caddy?
Does MT stand for "motor"?

Another question is whether the PinePhone is still using:
SGMICRO SGM3140 500mA buck/boost charge pump LED driver for camera flash and torch, TDFN-10 3x3x0.75 mm

According to the PinePhone wiki page, the phone contains the SGM3140, but the schematic shows it using:
U1000: Shanghai awinic technology AW3641EDNR flash LED driver with programmable timer and PWM dimming torch mode, 1A, 8 current levels.

Another question is where can I file bug reports about the schematics? There are several errors in the labels in the schematic that should get fixed.
Can anyone look at their PinePhone and determine whether the SGMICRO SGM3140 and/or awinic AW3641EDNR is in the device?

Likewise, can anyone look at their PinePhone and determine whether it contains the STmicroelectronics LIS3MDL, Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM) AK09911 and/or Voltafield Technology Corp. (VTC) AF8133J?

Thanks in advance.
do you not have a pinephone amosbatto? if you do then you could look at them. if you don't then I'm not sure why it matters
(08-15-2020, 06:20 PM)hiimtye Wrote: do you not have a pinephone amosbatto? if you do then you could look at them. if you don't then I'm not sure why it matters

The whole point of the PinePhone is that it promises to be a phone designed for tinkerers who want to be able to play with the hardware, so I do think it matters. My goal is to promote transparency in hardware, so we control the technology, rather than letting the technology control us. I plan to order the PineTab, which has virtually identical hardware, because it will be the most transparent tablet on the market.

I preordered a Librem 5, because it will be the most transparent phone on the market, but the PinePhone is a close second in terms of transparency, and its price makes it more accessible to more people, so it will be widely used.

Have you thought about the fact that there are over over 3 billion people on the planet using smartphones, yet none of them know what components are inside them? The piece of tech that we all rely on for our daily lives is effectively a mystery black box.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 521 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 157 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  my pinephone melted norayr 2 410 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,446 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 53,732 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,199 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 781 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,599 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,197 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot
  Using optical drives with Pinephone cdforever 2 1,047 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: cdforever