Warning to anyone considering a Pinebook
(08-13-2020, 06:45 PM)kickdog20 Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 05:39 PM)lot378 Wrote: The dialogue with support should have quickly identified and acknowledged the issue with the barrel-jack charger and sent the customer a replacement charger. Getting nowhere for two months and then support ducking out with an "out of warranty" weasel move? That is not impressive. Is it on purpose?

The support side of Pine64 obviously needs an overhaul - from the web site (tie orders and support together with an account) through to reviewing what support actually has been doing and recognising the improvements needed in the area. Community covers so much but arrows still end up to support and support is hit and miss.

Exactly. I had already correctly identified the problem. Waiting three days each time for a response that simply asked a question I'd already answered... It was worse than worthless.
Please PM me your support ticket number and I will review the support log. BTW, also lets me know that when you plug in power supply, there is a small red LED close to the DC jack, does the red LED light up?
My Pinebook hasn't shipped yet, but after reading this thread, I have concluded the chance of receiving a faulty power supply with my Pinebook is still a far better deal than the planned obsolescence and personal data mining engineered into nearly every other contemporary laptop, Macbook, and Chromebook computer today.
With the differences in time zones 3 days is kind of typical for an 'email exchange'.
  2 days would be extremely fast.
The only dependable way to shorten the time would be a 'live' messenger,
but then, one end or the other would be likely at an uncomfortable local time.

Your time is yesterday or tomorrow there.
(08-14-2020, 04:40 PM)PaulQ Wrote: My Pinebook hasn't shipped yet, but after reading this thread, I have concluded the chance of receiving a faulty power supply with my Pinebook is still a far better deal than the planned obsolescence and personal data mining engineered into nearly every other contemporary laptop, Macbook, and Chromebook computer today.
Just buy a spare charging cord and have USB-C cords on standby.

(08-14-2020, 05:02 PM)bcnaz Wrote: With the differences in time zones 3 days is kind of typical for an 'email exchange'.
  2 days would be extremely fast.
The only dependable way to shorten the time would be a 'live' messenger,
but then, one end or the other would be likely at an uncomfortable local time.

Your time is yesterday or tomorrow there.
And given that I explained the situation and answered all their questions in the initial ticket, they shouldn't have even needed to ask me anything after the first 3 day wait. Two weeks was entirely unnecessary.
(08-14-2020, 04:40 PM)PaulQ Wrote: My Pinebook hasn't shipped yet, but after reading this thread, I have concluded the chance of receiving a faulty power supply with my Pinebook is still a far better deal than the planned obsolescence and personal data mining engineered into nearly every other contemporary laptop, Macbook, and Chromebook computer today.

I ordered a pinebook pro 2 months ago and I bricked it by fiddling around with the uboot process. Nethertheless I was impressed by the overall build quality and ordered a second one. Both are now working well. There are two small things I would consider.  I put a nvme disk inside. Even with powersave this reduces battery time a lot. And charging takes a lot of time. So if you need more space better order a 128 GB emmc. Second the boot process from emmc often fails (1 of 3 times). I have a sdcard handy for this case. After some reboots via Ctrl-Alt-Delete it eventually finds the emmc partition. I am sure this will be fixed soon and power saving will be reliable in the future too. I like my pinebook pros, but I dont do numbercrunching, just software development with emacs, smalltalk, python and racket

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,901 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,218 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,118 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt