PinePhone Postmarket OS UK users
Hi all hope everyone is doing ok?

So I have a few questions about the PinePhone Postmarket OS.

Does anyone here own or have used the PinePhone Postmarket OS in the UK?

And if so hows that going?

Also the hardware kill switchs?

Do they work the same as the Librem 5 kill switchs that directly cut power to the circuit?

Or are some of the HKS on the PinePhone software based, meaning they ask the software
to stop working rather that physically cut a circuit?

Thanks in advance

LinuxNew
(08-09-2020, 10:45 AM)LinuxNew Wrote: Hi all hope everyone is doing ok?

So I have a few questions about the PinePhone Postmarket OS.

Does anyone here own or have used the PinePhone Postmarket OS in the UK?

And if so hows that going?

Also the hardware kill switchs?

Do they work the same as the Librem 5 kill switchs that directly cut power to the circuit?

Or are some of the HKS on the PinePhone software based, meaning they ask the software
to stop working rather that physically cut a circuit?

Thanks in advance

LinuxNew
There are 3 PinePhone editions.
After the first PinePhone was released (BraveHEart) users tested the phone, identifying hardware problems and many of these were corrected.
The second release was Community Edition. That came with Ubuntu Touch installed.
There are many Linux distributions can be installed in the PinePhone: Ubuntu, Debian [Mobian], Postmarket, etc
None of them is 100% functional. Actually, none of them can use the camera, phone calls are in progress, etc This is not ready to use as a main phone.
Moreover, many proprietary Linux software is made for AMD and will not work on pinephone (arm). The other will work, but software is not ready for a small screen. The community is working on software but it will take time.

The Third release will be Postmarket OS. Some hardware will be modified, but I do not think about major changes.

The kill switches are not for daily use. You have to remove the back cover and use a magnifier and a pointy stick to move them. I guess they are useful if you need to inactivate for a long period of time, not for on/off as daily use. I understand they are hardware-based.
(08-09-2020, 08:51 PM)daniel Wrote: The kill switches are not for daily use. You have to remove the back cover and use a magnifier and a pointy stick to move them. I guess they are useful if you need to inactivate for a long period of time, not for on/off as daily use. I understand they are hardware-based.
Details of the what the switches do are in the wiki, as are the schematics which show exactly what's connected to what. It's operating either on power supply or on the chip's power control pin. The modem needs to be shut down correctly to avoid the risk of filesystem corruption according to Quectel's docs - the os does this during shutdown - so it's safest to switch the modem one when the phone is powered off.

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=...figuration
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=...ifications
Hi thanks for all the info thats great.

So you're saying that the PinePhone thats just been released with Postmarket OS is not 100% functional?

Do calls work? I would very much like a PinePhone or other Linux phone.

However until someone independant does some at length reviews which include calls and all the other
features, then It's a waiting game.
Hi,
not a UK user, but the Postmarket OS edition is supposed to fix the annoying USB-bug the UBports CE (which I have) suffers from.
Phone calls do work, although they do not work on every distribution for everyone. It is early days, but my problems with receiving calls (which I had since power management had been improved) were fixed in Arch Linux ARM (outgoing calls worked all the time). Call audio quality is however not exactly "high definition audio" and feels more like "the bad old days".
If you can afford to switch back to another Phone in case of "broken PinePhone" and are generally enthusiastic about this Linux phone thing, then please get one. If you're not willing to tinker and can't live with something being broken every once in a while, you might better wait.
Cheers,
Peter
August 23, 2020 Update :

Many of the operating systems are 'working' at least for the basic voice phone calls, and sms text at this point.

Occasionally an update may 'break' a system until they release a fix.... (from hours to days)

The best working OS today, could be a different OS tomorrow.!

Some are very "usable" now, BUT the polish may take months or even years.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 571 9 hours ago
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 349 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 232 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 109,006 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,794 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 605 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,359 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 495 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,685 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,953 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma