No internet when using hotspot (NetworkManager)
I've tried various methods, but I can't seem to get access to the internet from machines I connect to my phone's hotspot. I'm using NetworkManager's create new wifi network feature, though I've tried doing it manually too.

Just seems to refuse to talk to the modem's 4G connection.

I can get it working by using a SOCKS proxy (e.g. ssh -D root@myphonedefaultgw), but that is very limited and has a lot of issues.

I checked with my carrier (Consumer Cellular) and they have hotspot enabled on their end for my account so I doubt it's being filtered or something.

Anyone else have this issue and/or manage to figure it out? Actually posting via my semi-broken SOCKS workaround now.
what is the result of
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

if it's 0,

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
(08-06-2020, 03:21 AM)Subsentient Wrote: ...
Anyone else have this issue and/or manage to figure it out? Actually posting via my semi-broken SOCKS workaround now.

Works pretty much out of the box on Mobian/phosh - just select from "hamburger" menu in Settings, WiFi.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(08-06-2020, 05:32 AM)fins Wrote: what is the result of
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

if it's 0,

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
It's enabled, and so is IPV6 /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding.

Still no luck, still have to use a proxy.
Have you checked routes and route priorities, both on the PinePhone and the other device?
Found the problem -- somehow various masquerade and NAT kernel compile options got switched off. Attached is a working .config file.

Attached Files
.txt   hotspot_kconfig.txt (Size: 144.9 KB / Downloads: 384)