wifi comes and goes and prompts for password often
I have about 6 wifi Access Points that all use the same ESSID.

Even when sitting in the same place, the pinephone running mobian current as of today, will randomly popup the password dialog for the wifi password.

Most of the time it will not successfully reconnect and will ask for the password 3 or 4 times until it apparently gives up or I give up.

Turning the wifi adapter off and back on quickly generally does not help.

Turning the wifi adapter off for about 15 seconds and turning it back on does tend to produce a working wifi session.

The behavior happens every few hours.

Any reason the wifi can't remember the password itself?  And perhaps retry / off-on cycle the wifi on its own?

The Access Point I would think it would be using is an ASUS RAX75.  (nighthawk).
(08-05-2020, 01:55 PM)motox6 Wrote: I have about 6 wifi Access Points that all use the same ESSID.

Even when sitting in the same place, the pinephone running mobian current as of today, will randomly popup the password dialog for the wifi password.

Most of the time it will not successfully reconnect and will ask for the password 3 or 4 times until it apparently gives up or I give up.

Turning the wifi adapter off and back on quickly generally does not help.

Turning the wifi adapter off for about 15 seconds and turning it back on does tend to produce a working wifi session.

The behavior happens every few hours.

Any reason the wifi can't remember the password itself?  And perhaps retry / off-on cycle the wifi on its own?

The Access Point I would think it would be using is an ASUS RAX75.  (nighthawk).

Sadly a known problem (sorry, can't find a link) - avoidance for now is for each AP to have a unique ESSID which is kinda unlikely!
Hopefully the PureOS folks will give this some attention as it is a rather large potential security hole: if your phone is locked, when the WiFi password dialog pops up you can click the "view" icon and see the password Sad
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
You don't have assign a new SSID to every access point. The phone can handle them as separate access points itself.

Go to settings -> Wifi -> (the settings-icon next to your wifi) -> Details -> Access Point and assign it to only one access point. With six access points you will probably have to write down the BSSIDs you assign.
After that you should see a "new" Wifi with the same SSID in you Wifi settings. Connect to the new Wifi and assign it to a specific access point. It should now be called "Your ESSID 1".
Repeat for all of your access points.

I only have two access points, but it seems to be working quite well. I haven't had any issues with it not handing over to the best available access point.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  reset wifi hardware/driver when it dies through console on pp? tuxcall 4 1,752 07-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: junelung
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,121 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Recent install, no wifi user641 3 1,363 01-12-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: user641
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,926 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Any fix for bluetooth crash when entering pairing password? kk22 0 795 06-18-2022, 07:51 PM
Last Post: kk22
  Does mobian use a root account and password? rp3 6 7,497 04-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Last Post: parry
  Problem with wifi kubussz 0 832 04-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Last Post: kubussz
  wifi adapter not found.. why? b7l3wui26r 3 2,057 11-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  Jerky wifi and bluetooth motox6 0 1,216 06-22-2021, 12:50 AM
Last Post: motox6
  SMS notification inconsistent and Wifi issue (waking up?) dcinoz 12 8,967 01-21-2021, 04:20 AM
Last Post: dcinoz