Android possible on 512 MB Ram ?
Hi folks,

i received my Pine64 board. Works well, but i am no really friend of Linux after all.
I know it will be laggy like hell, but shouldnt it be possible to run Android on a 512mb Pine ?
I mean my Smartphone has only 512 MB Run and runs it too.
I installed the rom on a Sandisk Class 10 32 gig card and all i got is a pixel square at the start (same card runs fine with debian).

On the pine wiki and product page is stated that they recommen a 1gig RAM for Android, but not that it is impossible to run it on 512 MB machines.
Anywone got it runing on the "small" Pine ? Maybe i just did some wrong stuff.
Or is ist impossible. I used the image writer and the image to write it to my card, you can not do much wrong with that, right ? Card should be fast enough, cause it runs the Linux fine.

Thanks for your help guys.

Shinji
(05-19-2016, 12:32 PM)ShinjiIkari Wrote: Hi folks,

i received my Pine64 board. Works well, but i am no really friend of Linux after all.
I know it will be laggy like hell, but shouldnt it be possible to run Android on a 512mb Pine ?
I mean my Smartphone has only 512 MB Run and runs it too.
I installed the rom on a Sandisk Class 10 32 gig card and all i got is a pixel square at the start (same card runs fine with debian).

On the pine wiki and product page is stated that they recommen a 1gig RAM for Android, but not that it is impossible to run it on 512 MB machines.
Anywone got it runing on the "small" Pine ? Maybe i just did some wrong stuff.
Or is ist impossible. I used the image writer and the image to write it to my card, you can not do much wrong with that, right ? Card should be fast enough, cause it runs the Linux fine.

Thanks for your help guys.

Shinji

Even if it will run (dont know if anyone tried) it wont make for a good experience. The 512 model is intended for embedded applications/ projects/ robotics/ smart-home applications, etc. But give it a go and report back Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Problem is it does not start, so i guess it does not run.
I am maybe did some wrong.
So i am curious if anyone got it running.

My primary intention is to connect to several SNS and make Sounds on new Notifications. This is much more easy on Android than on Linux if you have not this much expirence Wink
Anyway, i will try it again, otherwise it is a good reason to work more with debian Wink
Remember that 512mb version uses slightly different hardware thus potentially requires different image. I see no reason why Android would not be possible on 512mb board, however the performance would be low...
(05-19-2016, 12:46 PM)ShinjiIkari Wrote: Problem is it does not start, so i guess it does not run.

My primary intention is to connect to several SNS and make Sounds on new Notifications. This is much more easy on Android than on Linux if you have not this much expirence Wink
Anyway, i will try it again, otherwise it is a good reason to work more with debian Wink

I have tried the Android build on 512MB board, and even have a special version that marginally able to boot up but still slow and lagging when navigate. I have explored with my Android team on create a lean version but still no good result. At the end, we abandoned exploring Android runs on 512MB platform. If there is any Android guru that interest to trim Android build and runs on 512MB board, be my guess and we have already posted the source code at wiki site.
Thanks guys for the answers Wink
I found a way on linux to do what i want, but anyway would try android,mjust for the lulz Wink
(05-19-2016, 12:46 PM)ShinjiIkari Wrote: Problem is it does not start, so i guess it does not run.

in a despsrate attempt - last night I also tried to install the 5.1.1 on my 512mb, but it couldnt even start up.

the 512MB model might handle a KitKat (4.4) version better?
(05-23-2016, 11:39 AM)galbez Wrote:

in a despsrate attempt - last night I also tried to install the 5.1.1 on my 512mb, but it couldnt even start up.

the 512MB model might handle a KitKat (4.4) version better?

The Pine64 Android build starts on Lollipop, there is no Kitkat version due to Google 64 bit Android release only available on Lollipop. As mentioned, even works, the experience is bad due to keep running out of memory.
If it runs definetely not you guys should write it clear on the specs Wink
There is "not rexommended" on the page, but it should be "impossible", at least with normal user skills.

Anyway, linux runs good.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 6.0 Tablet and TV (release candidate, maintained) ayufan 228 381,906 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: firmwarefile
Shocked Remote for Android? liodra 18 29,175 12-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Adding an accelerometer to Android modsbyus 11 16,534 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Android Things OS dqvsra 2 6,872 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: hangglider
  Is there another link for Android images? Maalth 3 6,938 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Android SDK Oreo NGC6691 2 5,523 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Putting Android 9 RockPro64 source into easier to manage repositories dazza5000 0 3,292 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Android 5.1.1 TV (old-stable, no longer maintained) ayufan 194 253,905 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: neosapien
  Issues with SD Card and Running Android Twistedx 0 3,495 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Twistedx
  Android 7.1 (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 59 103,820 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mmmarcus