Ubuntu + Serviio
Video 
I have used Serviio as a media server at home for my movies and music for many years now, and prefer it to PLEX. 
Has anyone thought of or tried using the following ideas:

Android: Using the Serviio Media Browser App along side MPlayer to stream media from an Internal or External Network

Ubuntu: Using the web server capability of Serviio to stream content through the Web Browser or other uPnP application?

When I receive my Pine64+ 2GB I will be trying this. I have seen some threads about the GPU not being utilised properly yet to run this sort of thing smoothly? Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks  Big Grin

James
As long as you dont expect Serviio to transcode anything it may work. Even with full native accelerated decoding of the video the cpu likely woldnt be able to transcode fast enough to stream.
I wouldn't expect the Pine64 to be the server, more of a portable Serviio reciever, the transcoding etc is all done server side which is on a dedicated Linux server already. There is a nifty Android App for Serviio, and 8Player works for iOS. My intentions are to plug the Pine64 into a TV, boot up either Ubuntu or Android, and stream media from my server, in 1080p, with no lag or buffering etc?

Also, what would be faster, an OS on a MicroSD, or on a USB 3.0 Kingston DataTraveler G3? Is it possible to load the OS from USB?
(05-19-2016, 05:18 AM)jamesread90 Wrote: I wouldn't expect the Pine64 to be the server, more of a portable Serviio reciever, the transcoding etc is all done server side which is on a dedicated Linux server already. There is a nifty Android App for Serviio, and 8Player works for iOS. My intentions are to plug the Pine64 into a TV, boot up either Ubuntu or Android, and stream media from my server, in 1080p, with no lag or buffering etc?

Also, what would be faster, an OS on a MicroSD, or on a USB 3.0 Kingston DataTraveler G3? Is it possible to load the OS from USB?

I believe I have read in the forums that the initial bootloader must come from the microsd but that after that it may be possible to finish booting from usb? But I could be wrong.  So far there hasnt been a ton of luck with usb 3.0 so I cant guess if you would really see an improvement.
Thanks for the response regarding USB 3.0. I guess as development it may well have more support Smile. We can only hope at least. My board is scheduled to be dispatched 3rd week of May as my order starts with #102, so hopefully, any time next week I will be Pining away. 

Anyone know the general consensus of time between dispatch and arrival to the UK?  

I am keen. Very keen!  Big Grin
(05-19-2016, 08:26 AM)jamesread90 Wrote: Thanks for the response regarding USB 3.0. I guess as development it may well have more support Smile. We can only hope at least. My board is scheduled to be dispatched 3rd week of May as my order starts with #102, so hopefully, any time next week I will be Pining away. 

Anyone know the general consensus of time between dispatch and arrival to the UK?  

I am keen. Very keen!  Big Grin

7-12 days is pretty standard. Cant tell you exactly because I got my tracking nr after I received my board ;Wink

As a side-note: Are you in South England by any chance? we are planning a get together check it out here
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I live in the very far south west, and have a rather busy life and cram in my geek moments when I can get them! I doubt I would be able to attend, even though the whole idea is great!

Thanks for the invite though Smile. If my plans change then I;ll be sure to let y'all know Smile
Man, Serviio transcoding works on a Raspberry Pi2, which has lower CPU than Pine64. So I expect it to transcode in Pine64 as well.

Additionally, I am curious, why do you prefer serviio ? I moved from serviio to plex, due to the interface and the media identifcation.
ServiiGo works really well on my Samsung S5, which is quad core and similar hw, so on Android as long as the Mali chip is up to it, it do well for receiving. And Serviio, I am running both Plex and Serviio now since your post to test it, I still like Serviio due to the whole users and login stuff. Serviio is entirely independent, no need to register etc to watch via the web. Plex however has way better meta matching and a nicer GUI...