Are there any plans for a Pinephone which is based for instance on a Intel processor?
Intel shut down its smartphone components a little while ago.
I don't recall seeing a return on that kind of product.
The only phone with Intel processor I could find is the Asus Zenphone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_ZenFone

but it is not available anymore.

I wrote an e-mail to Arnaud Delorme, EEGLAB developer from the Swartz Center of Computation Neuroscience about the Pinephone and EEGLAB. He answered me to use Matlab online:

Hi Peter,

Matlab can run in any browser and EEGLAB as well. The simplest way to run EEGLAB on a smartphone is to use that solution.

https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ma...nline.html

Best wishes,

Arno

But Matlab is expensive for instance for private users who want to meditate with EEGLAB and EEG sensors. A Pinephone with Octave is affordable.
Arnaud Delorme, EEGLAB developer commented

True,

Good luck with your solution.
Matlab is $50 for student though.

Cheers,

Arno

Home version of Matlab is $95 USD. The Matalb EEGLAB toolbox is free, other Matlab toolboxes have to be bought seperately. For EEGLAB no additional Matlab toolboxes are required, but the Matlab signal processing, statistics, and optmization toolboxes, whose functions are used in some advanced plug-in toolboxes are used by EEGLAB for advanced processing features.

I suppose I will try the Meegopad T8. There was a blog about running Windows PCs sticks with a battery, and someone mentioned he had no problems using a car battery for 24 h 7 d. But I guess power consumtion can be optimized.

With a Pinephone I wait until a 4 GB version is available. EEGLAB should be able to do ainything iin Octave in rough what can be done in Matlab, exept for the graphical user interface. But Octane is still under develeopement.

Octane is interesting for the Pinephone. The Adafruit Peloton Bike computer which can read BLE sensors should also run on the Pinephone and should be abe to interface with Ocatave.

https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=166045
(07-31-2020, 01:20 PM)Peter Gamma Wrote: It says nothing in the EEGLAB requirement about an Intel processor. Give 4 GB RAM to the next Pinephone, and there is a chance that EEGLAB runs on it.
The A64 only supports a maximum of 3GB LPDDR3-1333 RAM, so the PinePhone can't be upgraded, without switching to a new SoC. Maybe PINE64 could make a phone based on the RK3399 which supports a max of 4GB LPDDR4 RAM or switch to the i.MX 8M Quad (which is what the Librem 5 uses), which supports a max of 4GB LPDDR4-3200. However, my hope is a future phone based on the RK3588.
Thanks, this is my hope, too.
4 GB minium for EEGLAB is probably based on Matlab minimal requirements. Based on Octave, it might be different. Octave Windows version is less than 200 MB to download, EEGLAB developer version is 24 MB. But EEGLAB is RAM hungry. Recommendation is 8 GB.
For a real-time system there is additionally the Matlab Toolbox and EEGLab plugin BCILab necessary, which is 820 MB unzipped. For all functions of EEGLab additional Matlab toolboxes are necessary.
A BrainFlow developer stated that BrainFlow is the best software for EEG sensors on ARM based devices:

https://openbci.com/forum/index.php?p=/d...ment_14501

True as long as no one has verified that EEGLAB on Octave runs on the PinePhone.
What about an SBC like the Latte Panda?
I have also looked at the Latte Panda. But I found the Meegopad T08 Pro MINI PC 4G mini PC stick more interesting, it has more options and is cheaper. But left this idea for the Pinephone because of power consumption. The PinePhone can be looked at as a Linux mini PC. There some of those devices on the market, but for me personally, the PinePhone is the most interesting device, since it is ready to go and developed for mobile use.

And the most important argument is the low power consumtion of the PinePhone compared to the Intel devices.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 522 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 157 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  my pinephone melted norayr 2 411 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,447 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 53,746 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,199 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 781 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,605 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,198 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot
  Using optical drives with Pinephone cdforever 2 1,047 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: cdforever