Plasma Mobile on Mobian?
(08-17-2020, 01:52 PM)choozy Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 03:08 PM)dancingqueen74 Wrote: Hi all,

are there any compatible repos to install PlasmaMobile instead of Phosh? I really like Mobian but I'd prefer PlasmaMobile to Phosh.

Thanks!

Hi dancingqueen74,

Have you tried Purism's guide to switch to Plasma Mobile on the Librem 5?

PureOS and Mobian are both debian based so it could be worth a shot:

https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Develo...sma-mobile

Greetings,

choozy
That looks good, thanks. Have bookmarked it for later use, since real life is eating my time, currently...
Let me add that I'm more than willing to include plasma-mobile in mobian's repo, all that's missing is a git repository with Debian packaging files.
I read on reddit that Plasma Mobile is now even gone from PostmaretOS because it's so unstable. Hopefully this will get better.
(08-24-2020, 11:20 AM)Boern Wrote: I read on reddit that Plasma Mobile is now even gone from PostmaretOS because it's so unstable. Hopefully this will get better.

Sad to hear that, I would really have something else than Phosh. Sad
Then You can only use UB-Touch ATM. Runs better with every daily update.......
Well, not as dead as I thought it would be: https://www.plasma-mobile.org/2020/08/25...ugust.html
(08-25-2020, 02:35 AM)cefre00 Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 11:20 AM)Boern Wrote: I read on reddit that Plasma Mobile is now even gone from PostmaretOS because it's so unstable. Hopefully this will get better.

Sad to hear that, I would really have something else than Phosh. Sad
Sorry just to understand you. Why desktop so important? is it just because of how it looks on the phone? or are you also talking about performance, etc? could you please (or anyone else) shed light on why people are asking for a different desktop?
(08-25-2020, 02:38 PM)natasha Wrote: Sorry just to understand you. Why desktop so important? is it just because of how it looks on the phone? or are you also talking about performance, etc? could you please (or anyone else) shed light on why people are asking for a different desktop?
Sometimes it's personal preference. Others it's because something useful only runs on some subset of available desktops. See kdeconnect (Plasma, maybe Plasma Mobile) or gsconnect (a port of kdeconnect to Gnome) - Phosh has apparently not yet implemented enough to be able to use gsconnect.

Edit: kdeconnect is in progress on Plasma Mobile but not there yet:
https://phabricator.kde.org/T8968
Actually, kdeconnect runs fine with phosh. At least to see notifications from my android phone.

I prefer the KDE/Plasma Desktop because it's usually far more customisable than Gnome and Phosh. Of course, Phosh could go a different way, but I think they intend to follow Gnome as close as possible.
So, although Phosh is currently the most usable desktop, I would like to transition to Plasma in the long run.
Gnome and KDE have been around for a long time, adding Phosh and Plasma is a bit more recent.

They are both leaders in improving Linux.  The competition between the developers just improves
everyones experience with Linux as a whole, so everyone benefits.

But,  they do have differences,    I Like the feel of the Gnome/Phosh myself.

While others may prefer their KDE/Plasma,  and others prefer yet something different.

Some people like vanilla ice cream,
some people like chocolate ice cream, and some do not like ice cream.

Thank God we are not all stuck with Microsoft, IOS, and Google !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,512 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,711 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,710 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,686 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,861 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM