Play along - create a PinePhone keyboard
Please start by reading this blog post.
In this thread you are welcome to discuss and submit your PinePhone keyboard designs. I am well aware that myBB (the software running this forum) isn't particularly permissive of hosting various document types (e.g. it will not permit you to upload a .stl), so some portion of your idea(s) and design(s) will have to uploaded externally. You are also welcome to use our Wiki for the purpose of uploading project-related files.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-29-2020, 07:15 AM)Luke Wrote: Please start by reading this blog post.

Lol you forgot the link, bud! there it is!
(07-29-2020, 07:29 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 07:15 AM)Luke Wrote: Please start by reading this blog post.

Lol you forgot the link, bud!

heh, posted before the blog went live Wink

I think it's this one: https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/29/invita...lay-along/
(07-29-2020, 07:36 AM)evilbunny Wrote: I think it's this one: https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/29/invita...lay-along/

Edited in Smile

Would it be possible for the keyboad add-on to integrate NFC as well? And wireless charging?
I only have two thoughts about the keyboard:

I read a few complaints about fxtec pro 1 and one of those Chinese gaming pocket pcs (gpd win 2?) that people couldn't reach keys in the middle of the keyboard with their thumbs. So maybe a split keyboard would be in order? So that thumbs need not reach towards the middle?

And one from the days when I had a HTC phone with flip out keyboard. Index fingers rest on the other side of the keyboard and do nothing productive. What if we got them to be productive members of society and placed something like a trackpad on the other side of the keyboard? So you can type and use a mouse making the phone closer to an actual computer? Some shoulder buttons should take care of clicking?

Smile
There was some discussion before, for me these are the options how a keyboard could look like on the pinephone with an add-on.

1. Psion-like keyboard with real key travel in a clamshell form factor, like cosmo communicator.
2. Regular buttons with non-linear keyboard access, screen at an angle to keyboard. Like Nokia E7, Nokia N950 and fxtec Pro1.
3. Regular buttons with sliding keyboard, screen is parallel to keyboard, like Nokia N900.

The best compromise would be option 2, what fxtec did with the pro1, full keyboard, device is usable on a table and the phone can be used without the keyboard like a regular smartphone.
Please try to implement the tilting mechanis. And also, backlit keys is a must.
For the keyboard:

- Somebody should definitely ping Dirk Van Leersum and Kimmo Lindhol, the genuises behind Jolla1's TOHKBD (The Other Half - Keyboard).
- There was also the Keyboard Mod for the Moto Z, by Liangchen Chen and Livermorium Ltd (but they are probably now busy with the FxTec(1) keyboard phone)

For the GamePad:

- Razer Kishi (basically "Switch Joycon" clones for either USB-C android or Lightning port iOS) is definitely a good inspiration.

(I was thinking about buying one second hand eventually, but if Pine produce official ones...)
As @Lister said trigger buttons would be extremely useful, especially to have modifier functions (ctrl, alt, mod, fn, shift, etc). If these are not a viable option, I would suggest that at least these modifier keys should be as close to the center of the keyboard as possible (i.e. switch "~" and "{" with ctrl and fn), otherwise common key combinations like ctrl+z become extremely difficult to do.

Personal request: Do not forget to include SysRq even if unlabeled and under a complex key combination. It's rarely used but can save your life some times.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,215 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,543 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 522 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,520 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,904 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,111 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 448 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 562 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM