Play along - create a PinePhone keyboard
The mic is on the bottom next to the USB socket, so would work open or closed. It's the speaker/earpiece that would be a problem, and can't be sorted via the pogo pins. You'd probably also want buttons to accept/reject the call (easy - it's a keyboard after all), and a minimal display on the outside for caller info, time etc.

Alternatively you accept it'll need a bluetooth or wired headset for phone calls.

I don't like the half size keyboard, but if you're going to go down that route it's better to put it next to the hinge for improved grip and weight balance. i guess the key size and action won't allow conventional typing on a desk or table, so overbalancing when using the touchscreen may be more of a theoretical issue than the practical one it was with some of the Psion's competitors.
(10-16-2020, 07:54 PM)hiimtye Wrote: the hinges are on the side so unless you have got a head thats flat and round i dont see it as a problem. youre not going to try holding it in landscape for phone calls

The hinges aren't the problem (or at least not the main one in this case).

I currently have a wallet style phone case that opens just like the keyboard shown in the mockup, it is not possible to use the phone with the case open unless you fold it all the way back so the phone is flat. If you have it open, as the keyboard will be, you'll either have the keyboard pressed into your forehead and obscuring your vision or it will be jabbing you in the neck (depends on which side you hold the phone). And whichever of those two options you choose you won't be able to hold the actual phone part flat against your ear.
(09-13-2020, 04:26 PM)tigerforce Wrote: Here is a picture of the Aigo P8880E UMPC which was released in 2009 in the Asian market. It runs Windows XP and Linux. It has Intel Atom Z500 800 MHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 8 GB SSD, 4.8 inch 800x480 screen. Size is 152x80x21.6 mm and weight 320 g.

It has a slide keyboard which is better than the Nokia N900 keyboard IMHO. At least it has all the symbols and modifiers I need for Linux shell scripts, Vim and Emacs. Any comments?
[Image: P8880E.jpg]
[Image: resize.php?pic=225_mid--aigo-p8880-xp_09...=380&y=380]

This is very much like the type of keyboard I would like to see (although why no function keys?).
I also find this kind of folding design a bit strange, especially because of the earpiece covered.
(However, it may have a hole at that location.)

If it may also have a small, probably OLED display and some buttons, it would still usable as a phone in folded position - it can be driven through the I2C line.
...or if it could be folded backwards, so fully opened with phone display facing to user.

However, I also feel an N900-like design (or the one above this message) would be much better anyway.
It may be a more complicated design though.
So far the best one for me is the keyboard of F(x)tec Pro1 - I use it as my daily driver.

Anyway, I would order a keyboard for my PinePhone to check the result if it is not too expensive.
I would be really happy if a well-designed keyboard would appear for PinePhone as it would be much more usable for terminal usage - also keyboard simplifies web browsing and other tasks.
(10-19-2020, 05:49 AM)VaZso Wrote: So far the best one for me is the keyboard of F(x)tec Pro1 - I use it as my daily driver.

Just checked this out, definitely looks like the best of both worlds. Pine64, go for this design!
(10-04-2020, 10:21 PM)DrewTechs Wrote: https://www.ti.com/product/TCA8424

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tca8418.pdf

https://www.sprintek.com/en/products/key...px?ad=bing

Will we theoretically be able to design a keyboard with this component? I wish I could just get one I can insert onto a breadboard but these i2c devices seem to only be for PCB boards which means that I would need a development board for it. Once I got that I can test a circuit setup on the ATmega328PB and/or on a Raspberry Pi.

There is a kernel driver for the TCA8418 and I have used it with the Raspberry Pi. This chip should work just fine with the PinePhone. My dts overlays used for the raspi are at https://mozzwald.com/raspi/ and there is a spreadsheet there I used to help figure out my matrix for the dts.

I have a QFN24 breakout board available on OSH Park that you can put the TCA8418 on and use it with a breadboard.
https://liliputing.com/2020/10/fxtec-pro...sel-136125
(10-15-2020, 12:39 PM)nas Wrote: [Image: PinePhoneKeyboardRender.jpg]

I like it. I'm not too crazy about the wasted space above the keys, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

Would it be possible to move bigger versions of the dip switches into that space? It would be great if it were possible to turn modem, cameras and WiFi on and off without disassembling the phone.
(10-28-2020, 08:01 AM)CharlieGordon Wrote: Would it be possible to move bigger versions of the dip switches into that space? It would be great if it were possible to turn modem, cameras and WiFi on and off without disassembling the phone.

I doubt, unless someone designs a mechanical arm which converts these movements. Smile
The basic idea of those switches was to disable parts in a hardware way.

You may put switches to that place but it will only able to do it using a software way, so practically it is not possible.
(10-28-2020, 02:44 PM)VaZso Wrote: You may put switches to that place but it will only able to do it using a software way, so practically it is not possible.
Too bad. Thank you for the information.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Case for Pinephone totilele 13 7,023 04-11-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: gramonyl
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,624 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 7,829 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 612 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 411 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 8,098 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 438 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,206 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 504 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 605 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM