Play along - create a PinePhone keyboard
(08-07-2020, 08:43 AM)Luke Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 11:46 PM)wazd Wrote: Hey guys.
I'm Andrey, the designer behind The Other Half Keyboard for Jolla Phone back in the days we've created together with Dirk van Leersum and Kimmo Lindholm.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/27500387...Smartphone

[Image: AMTl4lD.jpg]

I've invested quite a lot of time in the search for a perfect pro-user layout so if you would like to use it or play along - feel free to contact me. There are a bunch of different layouts ready, including Russian, Finnish, Hindu and so on. Also I'm still in touch with the manufacturer of the key plate so I guess it would be possible to make a batch (even though I think it will require some adjustments to the silicone base since it wont be fit to the domes you'd use).

Cheers!

@wazd  !
I was literally meant to email you today. Could you please email me on l.erecinski@pine64.org?
I emailed you !
looking forward to hearing from you Smile

@Luke @wazd

What's the status here? Have you guys worked something out? Are the talks still ongoing? Has everything fallen apart? Is it a secret and you cannot talk about it?

I'm grateful for any information.
(09-04-2020, 11:51 AM)CharlieGordon Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 08:43 AM)Luke Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 11:46 PM)wazd Wrote: Hey guys.
I'm Andrey, the designer behind The Other Half Keyboard for Jolla Phone back in the days we've created together with Dirk van Leersum and Kimmo Lindholm.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/27500387...Smartphone

[Image: AMTl4lD.jpg]

I've invested quite a lot of time in the search for a perfect pro-user layout so if you would like to use it or play along - feel free to contact me. There are a bunch of different layouts ready, including Russian, Finnish, Hindu and so on. Also I'm still in touch with the manufacturer of the key plate so I guess it would be possible to make a batch (even though I think it will require some adjustments to the silicone base since it wont be fit to the domes you'd use).

Cheers!

@wazd  !
I was literally meant to email you today. Could you please email me on l.erecinski@pine64.org?
I emailed you !
looking forward to hearing from you Smile

@Luke @wazd

What's the status here? Have you guys worked something out? Are the talks still ongoing? Has everything fallen apart? Is it a secret and you cannot talk about it?

I'm grateful for any information.

I also looking forward on this collaboration.
@Charlie G
>I'm grateful for any information.
  • Keyboard is important for a very large number of users. We know this from the forum and the comments.
  • I suggested a survey that would reveal some information, but no one wanted to fill it out. So I propose to make such a survey on www/blog.
  • A lot of people offer you some form of extra/language/navigation keys.

There was my proposal to add pgup/down keys like volume keys on the side of the phone. They are more important than the arrows when handling www and would be easier to handle.
(09-07-2020, 09:17 AM)x0r Wrote: A lot of people offer you some form of extra/language/navigation keys.

We NEED the pipe | it was remapped into the N900 by the community.
Whatever fold/slider design is chosen make it one with swappable keymats over physical clickey buttons like the N900 had.
I wrote a summary.
All presented keyboards had national characters, multimedia keys, sometimes other keys. I wanted to describe what was established in this thread.

In my opinion not much, but what was established I described.

Your suggestion that some of the keys are behind the keyboard. (similarly to the tube with us50, left at the bottom [Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginal...f=1&nofb=1]) is very good. At the same time the environment hasn't worked out anything because Luke and others aren't actively involved.

Twoja sugestia by część klawiszy było po za klawiaturą. (podobnie jak rura z us50, po lewej na dole) jest bardzo dobra. Jednocześnie środowisko niczego nie wypracowało bo Łukasz i inni nie udzielają się aktywnie. Zatem pokazało się kilka pomysłów i nie ma nad czym dyskutować. W ogóle pomysł by nikt z decydentów nie odzywał się w tym wątku jest lekko dziwny. Nie ma jak spierać się, pokazywać projektów.

Ludzie tu sa otwarci, pokazują wiele modeli i rozwiązań, które były lub są. Sam proponowałem by nie ograniczać się do małej klawiatury wysuwanej z dołu ale by były dwie, z dołu i góry. Albo by część klawiszy wyciągnąc na zewnątrz. Myślę, że cyfry i pgup/down spokojnie można by wyciągnąć na zewnątrz klawiatury. Padały tez pytania co z pleckami 5Ah, czy trzeba by wybierać: albo klawiatura albo dłuższa praca na akumulatorze. Itd. Na razie kilka osób zajrzało, zobaczyło, że nikt nie czyta tego wątku więc sobie odpuściło. Tylko ja zostałem na stałe.
I mean, the last announcement was that they were looking at 3 prototypes so I wasn't expecting a community sourced layout or design. I kinda thought this thread was more of a "maybe the community will come up with a complete design that we didn't think of." Most of the discussion here is keyboard layout or style based.
(09-09-2020, 05:12 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: Most of the discussion here is keyboard layout or style based.
No.
Most discussions are:
  • number of keys
  • number of switches, knobs, trackpads, backlighting, etc.
  • nostalgy, about the solutions psion 5 keyboard
  • keys and information that are on the keyboard outside the keyboard. Power indicator information (instead of on the bar as information outside, keys and wifi information outside)
    Questions about replace battery and keyboard
(09-09-2020, 07:39 AM)x0r Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 05:12 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: Most of the discussion here is keyboard layout or style based.
No.
Most discussions are:
  • number of keys
  • number of switches, knobs, trackpads, backlighting, etc.
  • nostalgy, about the solutions psion 5 keyboard
  • keys and information that are on the keyboard outside the keyboard. Power indicator information (instead of on the bar as information outside, keys and wifi information outside)
    Questions about replace battery and keyboard

And designs with stl files were requested. So far there has basically been a lot of preferences not design. Except Jolla.
The Psion keyboard isn't mentioned out of nostalgia, but because of its excellence as a tiny keyboard that you can actually type on, not just use with thumbs. The keymap isn't much good for linux terminal use though.
(09-09-2020, 04:48 PM)wibble Wrote: The Psion keyboard isn't mentioned out of nostalgia, but because of its excellence as a tiny keyboard that you can actually type on, not just use with thumbs. The keymap isn't much good for linux terminal use though.

Man that reminds me of my Jornada 720. I actually did some work for the jlime community porting.

Pretty sure that keyboard was similar to the psion and it was fantastic.

My Cosmo Communicator keyboard is pretty good too...but the software on that thing is bad, even the android..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Case for Pinephone totilele 13 7,214 04-11-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: gramonyl
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,749 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 8,425 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 635 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 424 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 8,163 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 449 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,232 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 514 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 615 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM