Modem UBports edition Celluar not working
I've come across a few posts about there being possible corruption of the firmware on the Pinephone modems. Are the only affected ones the one from the Braveheart Editions or does it occur on the UBports editions as well? Im not sure whats the deal with my UBports edition phone. It was not working when using UBports and even when it was updated I still had no cellular working. Then I tried Mobian and still it was not working. I ran the hardware test from a Postmarket OS image and it shows the modem status as ok.

Factorytest v0.49.0
IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   (it shows but Im not posting it)
Firmware: EG25GGBR07A08M2G
Network: FDD LTE, 311480, LTE BAND 13
Signal: -81dBm

Sim Status
IMSI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Call Status
Technology: ...
Number: ...

Im not sure what to make of it, with Mobian and UBports not working with my sim. I have thought if the results from the modem are faulty results.

(Edit 1) My cellular service is from T-mobile and I used a T-mobile sim card.
Edit 2:  Sim card size is micro

Update:
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverag...le-network  a link to T-mobile network bands.

https://www.quectel.com/UploadFile/Produ...n_V1.1.pdf   The Quectel modem pdf

Does anyone know if it might have something to do with the Network bands T-mobile uses in the Los Angeles Area?

Update: I installed and used LTE Discovery on a working android phone and it shows in my area that it connects mostly to band 2 and sometimes 66. Band 66 is not supported by the EG-25G modem.

Anyone know how to keep the modem to refuse or stop trying to connect to band 66?
(07-28-2020, 05:41 PM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: I've come across a few posts about there being possible corruption of the firmware on the Pinephone modems. Are the only affected ones the one from the Braveheart Editions or does it occur on the UBports editions as well? Im not sure whats the deal with my UBports edition phone. It was not working when using UBports and even when it was updated I still had no cellular working. Then I tried Mobian and still it was not working. I ran the hardware test from a Postmarket OS image and it shows the modem status as ok.

Factorytest v0.49.0
IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   (it shows but Im not posting it)
Firmware: EG25GGBR07A08M2G
Network: FDD LTE, 311480, LTE BAND 13
Signal: -81dBm

Sim Status
IMSI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Call Status
Technology: ...
Number: ...

Im not sure what to make of it, with Mobian and UBports not working with my sim. I have thought if the results from the modem are faulty results.
Band 13 is a verizon band. You have to call them and input a code to access their network. It's in one of the Volte or us cell service threads
My carrier is T-Mobile here in the US.
RE: BraveHeart EG25 Modem Fail and No Sim Card Detected

Newbie here:

Although received BH PP in Feb/March have not had time to test until recently.

I would appreciate any help in getting this EG25 modem functional or determining if it is a lost cause.

Background:

1.  Right out of the box the EG25 failed the PostmarketOS factorytest.

Note that this includes when the phone is connected to power with battery fully charged.

Have tried various techniques in turning on the phone including holding the power button for various and extraordinarily long times on start up.

2.  It has failed each time subsequently as well.

(I had seen reports that EG25 often/always fails without a sim card inserted so dismissed most of my concern until recently.)

3.  Shortly after receipt of the phone, flashed Ubuntu Touch to uSD and it flashed and seemed to work fine within the constraints of what UT was capable of at that point in time.

More recently:

1.  Test of the EG25 continues to fail to detect the sim card even in the latest PostMarketOS factory test versions that include the eMMC flash capability.

2. Working sim cards are not detected.

Have tried two different unlocked AT&T compatible sim cards (reported working here in the forum) that function in my other phones and they are not detected in PostMarketOS factory test.

3. Nor are these two sim cards detected in various recent builds of UBPorts, Mobian, and PureOS OS's when flashed to uSD.

Sim card never detected.  Note this includes with the WiFi and/or Bluetooth enabled or disabled.

Please also note that the sim cards are definitely properly inserted under the uSD slot.

I am now considering the unhappy possibility that the EG25 modem may be dead or damaged.

Have seen reports that under certain conditions unexpected loss of power to modem can damage the EG25's firmware.  I am not aware that this has happened with this phone but I'm sure its possible as it is very easy to accidentally hit the phone's power button when handling the phone.

In addition it is sometimes difficult to know when the phone has completely turned off so its possible that the battery has been removed inappropriately cutting power to the phone and EG25.

I am unclear whether this reported firmware damage is permanent or possibly fixable and would appreciate clarification on this?

Is it possible (or at some point in the future will it be) to reflash the EG25 to restore operability or will a physical replacement of the modem or the phone's mainboard be required?

In UBPorts I have run the following two modem scripts (see below) mentioned elsewhere in the forum and they seem to execute without obvious errors but not sure what should be looked for and the result is that the sim cards are still not detected and EG25 continues to fail in the original PostMarketOS factorytest and fails to detect sim card in all OSs tested.

Code:

sudo /usr/share/ofono/scripts/enable-modem
sudo /usr/share/ofono/scripts/online-modem

Will appreciate any help that can aid in either getting the modem functional or even just determining if the modem is a lost cause so that I can stop endless retests.  Thank you in advance.
Have you tried with a recent Mobian release flashed to your SD card ?  ?

My Brave Heart has issues with only making outgoing sms/texts,    but it does at least reliably make and receive voice calls via the AT&T sim card.
  It also connects to the data network,    ...   but a carrier issue will not let it "use" the internet....
    >  ongoing problem there, my Android phone had the same problem with that same sim card,   It does connect but says that I do not have a data plan.

Good Luck
(08-01-2020, 03:52 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Have you tried with a recent Mobian release flashed to your SD card ?  ?

My Brave Heart has issues with only making outgoing sms/texts,    but it does at least reliably make and receive voice calls via the AT&T sim card.
  It also connects to the data network,    ...   but a carrier issue will not let it "use" the internet....
    >  ongoing problem there, my Android phone had the same problem with that same sim card,   It does connect but says that I do not have a data plan.

Good Luck

Thanks.  Yes, all my flash tests are to uSD card.   I've tried multiple mobian images including those from a few weeks ago up through the recent 7-30.  Have not tried 8-01.   Have also tried probably ten different UBPorts from a few weeks back and including those from the last few days.  I realize features come and go (are fixed and broken) with different releases.  The sim has never been detected in any OS including PostMarketOS and PureOS.   Have not tried Fedora.

WiFi and Bluetooth work but sim not found.  Grabbing at straws - Have toggled all three wifi, bluetooth, and mobile off and on in different combinations but phone just does not find the sim.   The EG25 is either broken or needs a kick in the pants!
Curious,  have you attempted to use the software update feature on Mobian O.S. with the 'firmware updates' checked ?
  Top right corner of the main software page, under preferences ?
    You said your wifi is working  ?   * * *  (  I am not a tech, so my ideas could be mistaken )

I asked for more information about those choices in another thread,  but I have not got a response to that post yet.

I am thinking this could likely be a firmware problem....  The Brave Heart seems to be affected more than the Community Editions.???
(08-01-2020, 06:38 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Curious,  have you attempted to use the software update feature on Mobian O.S. with the 'firmware updates' checked ?
  Top right corner of the main software page, under preferences ?
    You said your wifi is working  ?   * * *  (  I am not a tech, so my ideas could be mistaken )

I asked for more information about those choices in another thread,  but I have not got a response to that post yet.

I am thinking this could likely be a firmware problem....  The Brave Heart seems to be affected more than the Community Editions.???

You asked me in the other thread. I don't have an answer for you since I don't have my pinephone yet and I'm not familiar with Mobian OS.

In your position I would contact the Mobian devs for info on the "firmware updates," failing that which IMO probably doesn't flash modem firmware. I would start looking into the EG25-G data sheets, and maybe contact them for firmware and how it can be flashed. You will have to combine that information with pines implementation and wiring so you can potentially reflash it.

The Brave Heart was always billed and sold as a prototype and dev device that wasn't finalized. The issues laid out in the wiki shouldn't be a surprise.
I am more than a little frustrated with the modem problem,

" However I am hopeful that the Brave Heart was a HUGE success in being a major stepping stone towards affordable choices in future Linux phones."

( In that Light, it was still worth every penny paid for it )

BUT,  I do look forward to receiving my new PMOS C.E, Convergence Package phone.
(08-01-2020, 08:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am more than a little frustrated with the modem problem,

" However I am hopeful that the Brave Heart was a HUGE success in being a major stepping stone towards affordable choices in future Linux phones."

( In that Light, it was still worth every penny paid for it )

BUT,  I do look forward to receiving my new PMOS C.E, Convergence Package phone.
Absolutely understand.

There likely is a way to reflash if it's a firmware issue, it will just take some doing...tinkering can be fun though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supported Carrier and Modem Bands NachoMomma 4 1,359 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 366 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 14 5,245 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  modem not working michelinux 0 868 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  modem not detected al_x 3 4,074 02-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: fxc
  PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card Timothy_Ecc 27 23,312 01-29-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: skandigraun
  BETA edition rcu errors 8bit 29 19,195 11-02-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: some_pinephone_user
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,484 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  firmware udate Quectel EG25-G modem alwi 7 5,111 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: user641