Upgrade problem
Bug 
Yesterday I installed the new Firefox like described in the wiki (https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=webapps). Later in the evening I noticed that an upgrade seemed to be ready. I took the upgrade via the software app only to be greeted with the same upgrade notice after a reboot.

I've since uninstalled Firefox and removed the sid repo and also the priority pinning. 

Trying to upgrade from terminal shows this:

root@mobian:/var/lib/dpkg# apt upgrade

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree     

Reading state information... Done

Calculating upgrade... Done

The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:

gir1.2-handy-1 libgtherm-0.0-0 libhandy-1-0

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 downgraded, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/172 kB of archives.

After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

(Reading database ... 78804 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../libhandy-1-0_0.84.0-1_arm64.deb ...

Unpacking libhandy-1-0:arm64 (0.84.0-1) over (0.84.0-1) ...

Preparing to unpack .../gir1.2-handy-1_0.84.0-1_arm64.deb ...

Unpacking gir1.2-handy-1:arm64 (0.84.0-1) over (0.84.0-1) ...

Preparing to unpack .../libgtherm-0.0-0_0.0.2-1_arm64.deb ...

Unpacking libgtherm-0.0-0 (0.0.2-1) over (0.0.2-1) ...

Setting up libgtherm-0.0-0 (0.0.2-1) ...

Setting up libhandy-1-0:arm64 (0.84.0-1) ...

Setting up gir1.2-handy-1:arm64 (0.84.0-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-1) ...

As you can see, the versions to be installed are the same. Still it believes the packages are to be downgraded. I've also tried to see what happens with "dpkg -i". How to I get out of this loop?

Thank you.

Mona
Try changing releases again:

Code:
sed -i 's/sid/bullseye/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update
apt-get -y --allow-downgrades upgrade

sed -i 's/bullseye/sid/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update
apt -y upgrade

While you're at it, it's worth reviewing the DontBreakDebian page, which covers why mixing releases is bad practice.

Hope this helps.

The Wiki instructions cause this conflict by mixing codename conventions. The below example works fine, and differentiates well.

Code:
-n mobian
-n bullseye
-n sid
(07-28-2020, 09:48 AM)jed Wrote: Try changing releases again:

Code:
sed -i 's/sid/bullseye/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update
apt-get -y --allow-downgrades upgrade

sed -i 's/bullseye/sid/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update
apt -y upgrade

While you're at it, it's worth reviewing the DontBreakDebian page, which covers why mixing releases is bad practice.

Hope this helps.

The Wiki instructions cause this conflict by mixing codename conventions. The below example works fine, and differentiates well.

Code:
-n mobian
-n bullseye
-n sid

Thanks for your message and the information, but I don't want to upgrade to sid (that is your second sed command). Except for having fiddled with dpkg to install the already installed packages a second time (as I wrote, the versions are identical with the versions to be installed, so no downgrade here) and hoping to trigger a better error message, I did nothing that was not written in the official Mobian wiki.

I just loopmounted the Mobian image I used for the installation and looked inside the default sources.list to be on the safe side. There are clearly no mentions of sid inside (it's just "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main"). Also I did the priority pinning recommended in the wiki to not mix distributions.

At least your first command fetched some other packages. Problem is still not solved though...

Edit: thanks for the update. Would it be possible to stay on the bullseye release?

Edit 2: I just looked inside the image again. The original priority file looks identical to my current priority file. The release is prefixed with o= both times, not n=. What I don't get is how everything should be fine again because I took back my modifications, but it isn't.
sid is the only repo to provide firefox, as bullseye still provides firefox-esr.

Following this guide to ensure that sid packages do not override existing bullseye or mobian packages is sufficient.
(07-28-2020, 11:02 AM)jed Wrote: sid is the only repo to provide firefox, as bullseye still provides firefox-esr.

Following this guide to ensure that sid packages do not override existing bullseye or mobian packages is sufficient.
Thanks for the guide, which I bookmarked for future reference, but I already uninstalled Firefox. That was the first thing I did when I noticed what happened. There should not be any sid packages left after I uninstalled Firefox and autoremoved unneeded packages, undid the changes in sources.list and removed the pinning. Everything should be OK, but it isn't.
I'm confused by your second message.

Let's eschew the firefox issue and focus on reverting to bullseye. In short, you can't do this in-place.

I'd re-flash the Mobian .img, if possible. If some of your package derive from sid, and others from bullseye, you have a FrankenDebian which will undoubtedly cause myriad issues.
Thanks. If I don't find another solution for this, I'll do a reflash.
You're welcome - hope that was all understandable.

I don't know of a means to retain the /home partition in Mobian, otherwise I'd recommend reinstalling the rootfs. Unless someone can correct me, I believe the only method of re-installation is via the .img
(07-28-2020, 12:21 PM)jed Wrote: You're welcome - hope that was all understandable.

I don't know of a means to retain the /home partition in Mobian, otherwise I'd recommend reinstalling the rootfs. Unless someone can correct me, I believe the only method of re-installation is via the .img
Thanks Smile
While your comments did not directly lead to a solution, it hinted me into the right direction. I was able to solve this without reinstalling.

What it did was:

root@mobian:/var/lib/apt# grep libgtherm-0.0-0 /var/lib/apt/lists/* | grep "Filename:"
grep: /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles: Ist ein Verzeichnis
grep: /var/lib/apt/lists/partial: Ist ein Verzeichnis
/var/lib/apt/lists/deb.debian.org_debian_dists_bullseye_main_binary-arm64_Packages:Filename: pool/main/g/gtherm/libgtherm-0.0-0_0.0.2-1_arm64.deb
/var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mobian-project.org_dists_mobian_main_binary-amd64_Packages:Filename: pool/main/g/gtherm/libgtherm-0.0-0_0.0.2-1_amd64.deb
/var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mobian-project.org_dists_mobian_main_binary-amd64_Packages:Filename: pool/main/g/gtherm/libgtherm-0.0-0-dbgsym_0.0.2-1_amd64.deb
/var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mobian-project.org_dists_mobian_main_binary-arm64_Packages:Filename: pool/main/g/gtherm/libgtherm-0.0-0_0.0.2-1_arm64.deb
/var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mobian-project.org_dists_mobian_main_binary-arm64_Packages:Filename: pool/main/g/gtherm/libgtherm-0.0-0-dbgsym_0.0.2-1_arm64.deb
/var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mobian-project.org_dists_mobian_main_binary-armhf_Packages:Filename: pool/main/g/gtherm/libgtherm-0.0-0_0.0.2-1_armhf.deb
/var/lib/apt/lists/repo.mobian-project.org_dists_mobian_main_binary-armhf_Packages:Filename: pool/main/g/gtherm/libgtherm-0.0-0-dbgsym_0.0.2-1_armhf.deb

I did this for all of the three files, compared it to the same file in the still loop mounted installation image and found that all 3 packages where listed in the according debian.org list, even though all were drawn in from the mobian repo. I deleted all 3 entries from the debian list and run "apt upgrade" and voila: all is fine again Smile Heart
Clever. Well done Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,908 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  MODEM - Usb problem & couldn't query SIM slots: QMI protocol freelectro 5 2,597 06-06-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: freelectro
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  No boot after upgrade: vibration, red LED, then 2 vibrations and yellow LED 3x5co 1 922 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,102 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Receive MMS fails after Nov 27 upgrade treebeard 17 5,544 12-12-2022, 05:09 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Dist-upgrade and Chatty vs Gnome-Contacts biketool 9 3,804 09-30-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Modem Firmware Upgrade - Modem Busy - USB Issues biketool 10 4,509 09-23-2022, 05:15 AM
Last Post: biketool
  New Tow-boot release, how to upgrade? user641 3 1,770 08-23-2022, 08:45 AM
Last Post: user641