getting elementary OS
(08-11-2020, 08:14 PM)Upokupo Wrote: Same for scrolling in web browsers.
I've noticed if you do the webrender trick then scrolling is much smoother in firefox. scrolling is also smooth in chromium, but that eats up a lot of ram, you want to configure zram.
(08-11-2020, 08:14 PM)Upokupo Wrote: Also, Night Light doesn't appear to be working properly atm. 
yes i noticed that. not sure how we could fix that one.
(08-11-2020, 08:14 PM)Upokupo Wrote: So, will eOS be supported on Pinebook Pro or was this just a proof of concept by the founder?
not sure, it seems that they are hinting at official support but who knows?
(08-11-2020, 08:14 PM)Upokupo Wrote: Thanks @clover for the images.
np, thanks for trying it out. i am really liking it so far. the extra touchpad gesstures are very helpful (see my tutorial somehwere in pbp tutorials)
I also hacked my lockscreen to have a blurred image of the background. (https://twitter.com/AlexRob12252696/stat...60/photo/1)
kinda minor but to fix bootsplash, replace the APPEND line in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf with

EDIT: See Upokup's post below before making the change.

APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.img-${kernver} console=ttyS2,1500000 console=tty1 root=UUID=${UUID} rw rootwait video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

careful not to add any new lines or make any typos! Wink
(08-12-2020, 04:17 PM)clover Wrote: kinda minor but to fix bootsplash, replace the APPEND line in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf with

APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.img-${kernver} console=ttyS2,1500000 console=tty1 root=UUID=${UUID} rw rootwait video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

careful not to add any new lines or make any typos! Wink

Success! Of course, I mucked it up royally and it didn't boot and skipped straight into Manjaro.

For others that may not know (much like myself Tongue ):
  • ${kernver} needs to be replaced with the original info in the already existing APPEND line
  • ${UUID} needs to be replaced with the original info in the already existing APPEND line
After I figured that out, it worked quite nicely. I guess the best way would be to copy and paste the above code from clover, insert the proper info then delete the original APPEND line. I got lucky and accidentally had backup saves created to find the proper information that i needed.

Also! Thanks for the webrender trick. I did not know about that. Firefox runs quite nicely now.
LibreOffice
I installed LibreOffice from the app center. It did not take on the elementary theme and looked like a Windows 95 app. However, installing it with synaptic fixed that issue. I'm guessing a dependency issue in the app center.

Synaptic

Synaptic doesn't theme well, either. But, then, my experience with it has always been that it's difficult to get synaptic to blend nicely on other distros as well.

Desktop Graphics

I tried figuring out if there was a way to get the desktop effects smoother and to mitigate artifacts being left behind from popup menus. I tried a quick run with compiz and compton but both had bad results out of the box. Any ideas or suggestions or is this a panfrost issue?

Also, highlighting text with the mouse in firefox doesn't, well, highlight. Highlighting works in other apps. I do have acceleration turned on with webrender trick.

Adding PPA's
Tried installing software via ppa but couldn't get the ppa to be accepted. This was the last output line:
Code:
Error: could not find a distribution template for Elementary/next

Other
Been working on eOS and notice that updates are constant throughout the day. So, that's really cool and a positive sign.

Not really sure where to send feedback or issues since it's still seems that the arm version is in an experimental stage at the moment. So, hoping this helps out in some way. I'll continue to report here until otherwise directed.

I'm really enjoying my time with eOS on PBP. It's really looking like I may use this as my daily driver.
(08-12-2020, 08:06 PM)Upokupo Wrote: Also, highlighting text with the mouse in firefox doesn't, well, highlight. Highlighting works in other apps. I do have acceleration turned on with webrender trick.
Yes, i worked around this by installing google dark theme and midnight lizard which allows you to alter the highlight color.

i think i would suggest chromium to most users over firefox though because these workarounds are a bit annoying to deal with.
helpful - tempted before - now not
(08-11-2020, 10:40 PM)clover Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 08:14 PM)Upokupo Wrote: Same for scrolling in web browsers.
I've noticed if you do the webrender trick then scrolling is much smoother in firefox.

Just installed elementary OS on the eMMC. Noticed the choppiness too. What exactly is the webrender trick? Can you elaborate?