Mobian phone too hot
I just got my CE PinePhone last week. I enjoyed UT and now I tried Debian.

Man, the temperature of the phone using Debian is very scary.  I read in the forum that was before but now it shouldn't be that hot.  I assume I have the last release of Debian since I just installed 2 days ago, and the temperature is very very high. It wasn't like that using UT.

If I can get a video frying an egg on mobian I will post it 

So, something wrong here

Best
(07-24-2020, 09:40 PM)daniel Wrote: I just got my CE PinePhone last week. I enjoyed UT and now I tried Debian.

Man, the temperature of the phone using Debian is very scary.  I read in the forum that was before but now it shouldn't be that hot.  I assume I have the last release of Debian since I just installed 2 days ago, and the temperature is very very high. It wasn't like that using UT.

If I can get a video frying an egg on mobian I will post it 

So, something wrong here

Best
Do the uboot clock fix and drop the clock speed to 492. It will be much cooler and only a little slower. My pinephone cannot run cool or stable at anything higher than 552
How do I do that?
thanks
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...light=Dram
I was reading this post from Megi

https://xnux.eu/log/#017

So, it looks that for a long time all distros were ignoring this serious safety issue.

What is worse, is that some 'savvy's were giving wrong explanations as if they knew for sure.

Anyway, anyone knows the current status of the temperature issue? Phones don't get hot as they were, so I assume it is fixed. However, the post mentions other temperature issues.

Is there a post on this? I could not find it

Any update? thanks
What is running? Check with top. Should be less than 1-2% cpu when idle (checked over SSH).

On boot the gnome-software updater will probably load the cpu for a bit and then it should remain idle.
Here is the point. You can check all that is running or not, or applying daily updates, but if the distributions do not correct the issues with the temperature your phone might explode.

I think some of the issues were fixed, but not sure about all of them. Like controlling W during charging, etc
This battery risk sounds freaking serious. Thank you for continuing to raise this. So, it's going to depend upon the distro, eh? We should each contact the developers for each distro?
(04-09-2021, 01:44 PM)lsitongia Wrote: This battery risk sounds freaking serious. Thank you for continuing to raise this. So, it's going to depend upon the distro, eh? We should each contact the developers for each distro?
If you are worried you can always remove the battery whenever it's left unattended. What's important is to not panic. It's an alfa device with alfa software and pre-alfa firmware. You can sell it here in the forums. Anyway, what would you say to the "Developers"? (aka: the pine community) Would you tell them to "develop faster"? This is free software.

Not sure if you found this thread and blog post but the battery is discussed heavily: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11525
I think one thing we can do to try to mitigate some potential issues down the line is to try to maintain good battery health. and like natasha mentions controlling w during charging. As in make sure to use proper power supply/charger.

Also another thing would be to try to keep battery in good health. Many sources quote 40-80%. Others state above 20%.

Another thought is to leave off while sleeping if you don't need it.

Mine turns back on once plugged into charger but by holding the power button down once again you can leave it plugged into charger, off.

I haven't noticed any recent posts on heat issues and have noticed mine is not near as warm as it was when I first got it back in July. Still, pay attention to processes running too hard if you have a heat issue. Then turn off and try to find out what is causing it if possible.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,335 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy