My Daily Manual QA
Fantastic! Thanks for the information.

Regarding the calls, can you better define 'stuffy'? Possibly related, I posted a thread the other day regarding buzz/static/whine emitting from the earpiece - this appears to be hardware related, applying to the 1.1 and 1.2 board revisions.

Does the stuffiness derive from the audio quality (in/out)? In my case - maximum volume is acceptable for hearing the other caller, and the audio is clear enough to distinguish what they are saying. However, the audio is 'wooly'; I cannot speak for the quality of the microphone.
(08-12-2020, 06:26 AM)jed Wrote: Fantastic! Thanks for the information.

Regarding the calls, can you better define 'stuffy'? Possibly related, I posted a thread the other day regarding buzz/static/whine emitting from the earpiece - this appears to be hardware related, applying to the 1.1 and 1.2 board revisions.

Does the stuffiness derive from the audio quality (in/out)? In my case - maximum volume is acceptable for hearing the other caller, and the audio is clear enough to distinguish what they are saying. However, the audio is 'wooly'; I cannot speak for the quality of the microphone.

I haven't experienced any high pitched or buzzy noises, although I haven't done any longevity tests. I probably need to offer a little more clarity on how i describe my results. Here is a set of descriptors that I will be using in results moving forward. I agree, I can actually understand the conversations but at 70% volume the conversations are often "Congested- Smeared, confused, muddy, and flat; lacking transparency" and "Woolly - Loose, ill-defined bass." 

I have yet to really pin it down to an audio encoding issue or a hardware issue. At times there are mild differences between OSes which makes it hard to nail this down as hardware related directly.
Marvelous, thank you; good to know that we are co-opting the same definition of 'wooly' Wink
(08-11-2020, 02:05 PM)plainenough Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 05:21 AM)jed Wrote:
@plainenough
  • Do you test distributions using the eMMC or a microSD card? If microSD, could you specify which card?
  • Do you flash the latest image, or upgrade in-place?
1) I test mobian off of microSD, Samsung Amazon listing to exact cards used.

2) I flash the nightly build on mobian. Do in place upgrades on ubports. Once my second pinephone comes in I will probably begin flashing eMMC nightly for both.

Notes:  Camera related issues with front camera. Confirmed software related. Front camera image is rendered upside down regardless of phone orientation.

Results: mobian/2020-08-11

Conclusion, Mobian is not ready for pinephone to become a daily driver.

Other comments: I/We will begin marking calls inbound and outbound as failed with severe audio quality issues.  This OS makes inbound and outbound calls without any issue save a really stuff call quality. Just FYI.

@plainenough

Since you are testing almost all updates, I was wondering if you see any improvement.
Can you tell us if you feel this is moving?

What is your opinion?
I haven't seen anything new since I got the CE
(08-12-2020, 11:26 AM)daniel Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 02:05 PM)plainenough Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 05:21 AM)jed Wrote:
@plainenough
  • Do you test distributions using the eMMC or a microSD card? If microSD, could you specify which card?
  • Do you flash the latest image, or upgrade in-place?
1) I test mobian off of microSD, Samsung Amazon listing to exact cards used.

2) I flash the nightly build on mobian. Do in place upgrades on ubports. Once my second pinephone comes in I will probably begin flashing eMMC nightly for both.

Notes:  Camera related issues with front camera. Confirmed software related. Front camera image is rendered upside down regardless of phone orientation.

Results: mobian/2020-08-11

Conclusion, Mobian is not ready for pinephone to become a daily driver.

Other comments: I/We will begin marking calls inbound and outbound as failed with severe audio quality issues.  This OS makes inbound and outbound calls without any issue save a really stuff call quality. Just FYI.

@plainenough

Since you are testing almost all updates, I was wondering if you see any improvement.
Can you tell us if you feel this is moving?

What is your opinion?
I haven't seen anything new since I got the CE

Mobian over time has introduced some significant improvements IMO. First, the heat levels of the phone have dropped noticeably, which indicates some refactoring of expensive code. AKA code that used a lot of CPU. That has been nice. Boot times have been remarkable compared to average numbers across all devices. Camera efforts have shown massive improvements since the start of my testing. Call quality has increased a little since the start of my testing (although the calls are still congested and woolly). Even some of the general slowness of the interface has been improved. With that in mind, sometimes the interface feels like it is running on an iPhone 3G/3Gs. Which is terrible considering the specs here.  This is the first OS I tested that call speakerphone actually worked on.

EDIT: To address the first question. Yes, with daily testing (and ignoring feelings of anticipation) I think there are improvements that have impacted my reports. Under the hood, these guys could be making significant changes that don't percolate up directly, but ultimately impact the user experience as a whole.

All in all, I feel like this is the closest candidate to making the pinephone a daily driver. (mind you I only compare to the few OSes I test, not all of which I generate a report for.)
Notes: Will be changing over to have a little more definition about call quality. Will also look for a good definition set about image quality. Still no carrier data, did not setup apn manually. 

Results: mobian/2020-08-12

Conclusion: Mobian is not ready for pinephone to become a daily driver.

Just another reminder, soon I will begin marking calls as failed based on quality. Not just referencing a successful connection. Please begin using the posted definitions when deciding on how to interpret my results. Also, please feel free to bring up any issues with discrepancies or suggestions. You will only help tune my results and generate better information.

New Definitions:

Audio Definition
(08-12-2020, 01:34 PM)plainenough Wrote: Just another reminder, soon I will begin marking calls as failed based on quality. Not just referencing a successful connection. Please begin using the posted definitions when deciding on how to interpret my results. Also, please feel free to bring up any issues with discrepancies or suggestions. You will only help tune my results and generate better information.
 I wouldn’t change the definition of an item to a new one, then going from ‘pass’ to ‘fail’. It is going to be confusing.  
Could you just add a new category? 
Anyway, great job!
(08-14-2020, 08:34 AM)PainPhone Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 01:34 PM)plainenough Wrote: Just another reminder, soon I will begin marking calls as failed based on quality. Not just referencing a successful connection. Please begin using the posted definitions when deciding on how to interpret my results. Also, please feel free to bring up any issues with discrepancies or suggestions. You will only help tune my results and generate better information.
 I wouldn’t change the definition of an item to a new one, then going from ‘pass’ to ‘fail’. It is going to be confusing.  
Could you just add a new category? 
Anyway, great job!

I will add a new test to reflect the change.
eg:
1) call function
2)call quality

------------

Perhaps you could edit, or add-on to your original post to include your definitions,
such as "Dated"  'add-ons'   ?
  that would make it simple to refer to, and easy for forum users to find them ?

Thanks,
      this surely takes up a lot of your time and effort.
Piggybacking on @bcnaz's recommendation, it may be worth starting a new thread.

As an example:
  • Original post: Contains recent test results (or a canonical URL, RSS, etc.)
  • Reserved post: Lists test criteria, invites feedback via thread replies
  • Second reserved post: Just in case Wink
Should be more approachable for all interested.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian / mobian Pine64 - User Manual? Harry27 1 2,252 03-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  My Daily QA - 2020-10-06 AmazingNutria 6 6,870 01-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Last Post: daniel
  Why the 12/15/2020 build is no where near a daily driver yet TheLastDon 24 19,133 12-31-2020, 09:51 AM
Last Post: HLing
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-22 AmazingNutria 4 4,978 09-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-11 AmazingNutria 2 3,386 09-20-2020, 09:17 PM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-10 AmazingNutria 1 2,843 09-11-2020, 08:30 AM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-08 AmazingNutria 7 7,274 09-09-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Cree
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-03 AmazingNutria 2 3,067 09-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  My Daily QA - 2020-08-28 AmazingNutria 3 3,589 09-01-2020, 09:41 AM