My Daily Manual QA
Great to see some formal testing being performed. The Mobian maintainers are doing an excellent job focusing on usability.
(07-28-2020, 04:09 PM)jed Wrote: Great to see some formal testing being performed. The Mobian maintainers are doing an excellent job focusing on usability.

I would say semi-formal testing. To be honest I'm just a linux guy who enjoys the thought of a real OS on a phone.  I am not a mobile dev or QA guy. I agree, the mobian guys have been doing a great job.
Conclusion: This OS is not ready for pinephone to be a daily driver.  (can be an experimental trial as of this build. I would expect some minor instability and ignore camera functionality though.)

NOTE: I have been running on nightly development builds. Most functionality appears to work correctly on this OS out of my testing groups it is the most mature candidate.

mobian/2020-07-29
(07-28-2020, 04:22 PM)plainenough Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 04:09 PM)jed Wrote: Great to see some formal testing being performed. The Mobian maintainers are doing an excellent job focusing on usability.

I would say semi-formal testing. To be honest I'm just a linux guy who enjoys the thought of a real OS on a phone.  I am not a mobile dev or QA guy. I agree, the mobian guys have been doing a great job.

Many of us prefer this kind of QA, which is more informative than a very technical one.
I am beginning to build a a tool that will allow me to better deliver these results, also I have recruited help from a colleague who posses a phone of the same build. We intend on expanding the qa scope soon. For now don't mind my comentary, I'm a curmudgeon. That is all.

Conclusion: This OS is not ready for the pinephone to become a daily driver.

Notes: Sorry for the late delivery, will try harder next time. SIGNIFICANT improvements to camera functionality. Kudos to the dev team. Front camera still renders upside down, might be hardware related. Audio routing works for calls. Soon to add more tests for this os and allow the stable components to fall off.

For a list of the test cases and basic steps: https://github.com/plainenough/pinehphon...asets.yaml Expect very much rough draft for this moment, but I will try to keep a list of simple steps and test cases for your viewing pleasure/questions that might come up about my methods.

mobian/2020-07-30
Have you tested the 'data' connection  ?

I think it is working software wise,  but my phone has other issues.    (Perhaps a new sim card is needed as suggested by an AT&T tech. )

I get to a web page that says:

"AT&T free message: It looks like you want to use data but you have none available. You may need to add a data package or change to a plan that supports data for your device."

So it seems I have connected to the internet, but I have carrier problems.    ( my current plan does include data )

?

Speaker phone :   It worked good from my Pine phone end,  but the person I called said they heard an echo on their end while I was using speaker phone.

When I turned off speaker phone they heard me perfect.

B.C.
(07-30-2020, 06:28 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Have you tested the 'data' connection  ?

I think it is working software wise,  but my phone has other issues.    (Perhaps a new sim card is needed as suggested by an AT&T tech. )

I get to a web page that says:

"AT&T free message: It looks like you want to use data but you have none available. You may need to add a data package or change to a plan that supports data for your device."

So it seems I have connected to the internet, but I have carrier problems.    ( my current plan does include data )

?

Speaker phone :   It worked good from my Pine phone end,  but the person I called said they heard an echo on their end while I was using speaker phone.

When I turned off speaker phone they heard me perfect.

B.C.

Confirmed: Looks like my APN data didn't populate on Mobian. Checking UBports as well. But even when I manually added this in and hit a website DNS failed. Checked networking devices for any live network adapters. No configured interfaces out. No routes via IP4 or IP6. Looks like it is something they have yet to work on. I'll keep an eye on it and see what I can dig up over the weekend.  Issue looks to be Mobian specific.

Here are some links, I think these are right, but I only have a t-mobile sim at this point.

AT&T Prepaid
AT&T Contract/Regular
T-mobile Contract/Prepaid
Sprint
Rick Roll Link here
Not putting Verizon here because they are made of all the worst parts of the universe.
Verizon

I have noticed the feedback issue with the speakerphone as well. Also, every once in a while I get a report that the mic is extremely sensitive. Will begin poking at audio levels to see if we can tune a little bit.
@plainenough I noticed an outlier today, which may be a testing edge case. I made a call on a stale (few days old) build of Mobian, and CRUST prematurely ended the call.

I don't know how you'd reasonably test extremes like this, but I thought it better to mention it than not.
I think the echo problem could be caused from both phones having speaker phone turned on.

In which case it gets more complicated,  if you turn down the microphone sensitivity it may reduce the echo,
   ....    but then you may have to hold the phone closer to your mouth....  hmm...
       .. >     ( You put it on speaker phone so you can set the phone down... )

As far as modem related problems go,
             it appears on the Brave Heart Edition   you risk corrupting the modems firmware by simply turning off your phone.

Perhaps that explains why the earlier versions of Phosh/Debian and  Mobian operating systems both worked fairly well on my phone.
  ( But when I went back to retry these previous releases,  they no longer work like they did )

Calls in & out, and texting in & out were working.

Now I cannot receive text.

Hopefully your UBPorts C.E. phone is more dependable...                    
                                            Your tests do give a good indication of the current state of the operating systems you test.
Not to pile on too much extra work,  but perhaps 'Hot Spot'  may be needed for some daily drivers ?

APN as per the wiki works for me.  (If you happen to use AT&T)
Name :  ATT
APN :  phone

Note :
The August 03 nightly is working fairly well now on my Brave Heat, but I did have to download Modem Manager from the onboard Software store, then simply launch it... My text app needed a kick start.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian / mobian Pine64 - User Manual? Harry27 1 2,252 03-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  My Daily QA - 2020-10-06 AmazingNutria 6 6,870 01-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Last Post: daniel
  Why the 12/15/2020 build is no where near a daily driver yet TheLastDon 24 19,125 12-31-2020, 09:51 AM
Last Post: HLing
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-22 AmazingNutria 4 4,978 09-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-11 AmazingNutria 2 3,386 09-20-2020, 09:17 PM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-10 AmazingNutria 1 2,843 09-11-2020, 08:30 AM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-08 AmazingNutria 7 7,274 09-09-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Cree
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-03 AmazingNutria 2 3,067 09-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  My Daily QA - 2020-08-28 AmazingNutria 3 3,589 09-01-2020, 09:41 AM