Rockpro64 am I asking to much of a SBC?
Hi all,

first post on the forum, although I have been observing the forum as a guest for a long time.

I currently have an Odroid HC1 for a home assistant server and I have another Odroid HC1, which used to serve nextcloud for 4 years , but now I'm trying my hand at an OpenMediaVault installation with docker .
I've been dabbling in setting up a Nginx reverse proxy container and radicale caldav server container setup which I believe is working how I would expect , after weeks of research . Most recently I been looking into  a Jellyfin media server which I mostly got working, however researching odroid's hardware acceleration options to aid transcoding for Jellyfin, has caused me to rethink my entire server network and consider a 4gb Rockpro64 with NAS case for both home assistant and the OpenMediaVault  server.

My plan is to have Armbian as the OS , OpenMediaVault  installed via the script they provide for SBC's , Nginx reverse proxy in docker with a radicale container as one server behind the proxy and home assistant as the other server .

This would allow me to close one of the ports on my router (8123 for homeassistant) (443 and 80 currently are being used for Nginx) and allow me to remove 2 Odroids in place of one rockpro64.

Is this asking to much of the Rockpro64 ?

is the above mentioned plan the way to go ?

I've become a fan of pine64 in the last couple of years mainly  because of it's philosophy and as my first device I went all in and purchased a PineTab which I'm eagerly  waiting for , but ideally I would like to support them further and convert from the Odroids to a Rockpor64.

any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated .

thanks in advance .

Tim
Give it a try! The RockPro64 is pretty robust in what it can do. Heck this forum, the site, and chat are being hosted from a cluster of RP64s.

Glad to run into others using Jallyfin, too! I've been wanting to run it on my ReadyNAS, but the standard Debian install method doesn't work Sad
(07-21-2020, 07:41 AM)jtophneal Wrote: Give it a try! The RockPro64 is pretty robust in what it can do. Heck this forum, the site, and chat are being hosted from a cluster of RP64s.

Glad to run into others using Jallyfin, too! I've been wanting to run it on my ReadyNAS, but the standard Debian install method doesn't work Sad
 Yeah I think I will give it a try in the end , it is nice to receive advice from people with more knowledge and experience before taking a blind jump though . To the best of my experience and limited knowledge I believe it will work very well on the rockpro64 , however this is a big leap for me , I've only just manged to setup an Nginx reverse proxy in docker after weeks of fiddling and I'm still not entirely sure its secured well enough .

That being said I'm sure with the very friendly pine 64 forum I will eventually succeed and have an impressive setup .

yeah I recently discovered Jellyfin and I must say I am incredibly impressed with it ,  unfortunately they are still developing the TV app for my TV Brand , however it works incredibly well in the TV's native browser . I think when more people see how sleek Jellyfin looks and how well it performs they will possibly consider swapping from plex or emby.
I found it runs very well in docker with the official image I would highly recommend.
(07-21-2020, 08:06 AM)Dont buy emmc module it's a pain in ... to boot on newer kernels if ever... Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 07:41 AM)jtophneal Wrote: Give it a try! The RockPro64 is pretty robust in what it can do. Heck this forum, the site, and chat are being hosted from a cluster of RP64s.

Yeah I think I will give it a try in the end , it is nice to receive advice from people with more knowledge and experience before taking a blind jump though . To the best of my experience and limited knowledge I believe it will work very well on the rockpro64 , however this is a big leap for me , I've only just manged to setup an Nginx reverse proxy in docker after weeks of fiddling and I'm still not entirely sure its secured well enough .

That being said I'm sure with the very friendly pine 64 forum I will eventually succeed and have an impressive setup .

yeah I recently discovered Jellyfin and I must say I am incredibly impressed with it ,  unfortunately they are still developing the TV app for my TV Brand , however it works incredibly well in the TV's native browser . I think when more people see how sleek Jellyfin looks and how well it performs they will possibly consider swapping from plex or emby.
I found it runs very well in docker with the official image I would highly recommend.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 177 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 674 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 627 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,086 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 835 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  No sound on Rockpro64 with OpenWrt Patrice 1 1,241 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  Cant get rockpro64 working brasilikum 3 1,703 03-19-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: runyor
  RockPro64 Stopped working WarpLover 5 2,519 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: diizzy
Lightbulb ROCKPro64 + SSD case model for 3D print Spater 0 959 01-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Spater
  RockPro64 and Neon rapier1 2 1,697 10-21-2022, 07:44 AM
Last Post: rapier1