Dark screen on boot up (?) on new Pinebook Pro with Manjaro
Hi, all. I just got a new Pinebook Pro, with Manjaro, and was beginning to have fun with it. I tried a software update and when I cameback to the machine, I could not get the screen to light up. I've powered it down and back up several times and at no time does the screen backlight turn on. 

Is there any key combination I could type to try to force it on? 
Many thanks.

[/url]
[url=online.php]
I think that I read somewhere that after an update, the screen won't get as bright. Search the forums as I think there was something to do with the kernel or something. Does pushing the Fn key and one of the f keys brighten?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/screen-dim-o.../128914/23

This may give some insight. Sorry if I couldn't help more

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hmm. This looks like it might be it, although I can't tell because the screen isn't just dim for me. I cannot see anything and have no idea what state the laptop is in. Fn+ F2 does nothing.

Should like I should try to boot off a USB or SD card. What images do people commonly use for that?
Hi Ocschwar

try ctrl-alt f2 which is the key combo for a command line login. This blank screen is a widespread issue (I have a version of it) but it appears associated with Chromium OS tryouts, manjaro reinstalls as well as your issue.
(07-19-2020, 01:15 PM)thepeckhambassplayer Wrote: Hi Ocschwar

try ctrl-alt f2 which is the key combo for a command line login. This blank screen is  a widespread issue (I have a version of it) but it appears associated with Chromium OS tryouts, manjaro reinstalls as well as your issue.
With the blank screen, I can't confirm but I would not be surprised if it did properly go to the TTY.
Do people with this problem succeed in USB/SD booting?
Hi ocschwa

No idea if this works... it's what I'm trying to do: I'll give it a go though. I hope it works as I'm beginning to lose the will to live with this device!

Thanks for your message.

Best wishes, Alex
I tried typing blind, going ctl-alt-f2 to the TTY, login in, and then manually setting the brightness through /sys/class/backlight/edp-backlight/brightness.

no idea if I typed it all in correctly, but I typed it multiple times, and to no avail. I am really disappointed. At this point I am wondering whether to ask for a new eMMC module to put in, or some way any way to let me boot off the SD cared. Until I can use this laptop again, I have to strongly advise my friends not to buy it.
don't lose hope; i have got the arch linux installer working from the sd card but like you, i'm having no luck with the graphical installers with only a blank screen to keep me company. where do we go now for support i wonder...
Result!!!

I now have a working pinebook: the key was trying a different SD card. My panasonic (32Gb - a good brand) did not work. An unbranded 8Gb one worked fine. You might wish to try changing your install media. Very best of luck.
So, the Manjaro installer image boots my laptop just fine, runs an installation and then offers me a full desktop.

Yay!

But: that installation is to the SD card, not the eMMC. And that installation does not FIND the eMMC.
I tried an Android image and an Ubuntu image and both failed to turn the screen on. Updating that SD card right now in hope of accessing the eMMC that way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 168 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,119 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 208 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,607 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 215 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,917 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,639 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 292 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt