any plans to release motherboard for 1.2A
so like many others I purchased the ubuntu touch CE version of the phone when it was released. i like it but i was quite interested into the convergence aspect. I understand that to do that you can remove some chips from the board but I don't want to risk breaking something else.
Could pine release to buy the updated board with the extra ram and emmc so i can swap them out in my device. I obviously don't need any other components and if I had known they would have increased the specs a month after the initial release i would have purchased that instead.
(07-18-2020, 12:13 PM)blackfire Wrote: so like many others I purchased the ubuntu touch CE version of the phone when it was released. i like it but i was quite interested into the convergence aspect. I understand that to do that you can remove some chips from the board but I don't want to risk breaking something else.
Could pine release to buy the updated board with the extra ram and emmc so i can swap them out in my device. I obviously don't need any other components and if I had known they would have increased the specs a month after the initial release i would have purchased that instead.

Slight differences :

The Standard  New PMOS Community Edition phone still has the 2gb of ram and 16gb eMMC,  just a 'updated'  main board  1.2a

The Convergence Package is an  'upgrade'  with the 3gb of ram and 32gb eMMC. 

>      The Convergence Package Does Cost More   " $ "   as it is expected to DO MORE.

So it is not like they suddenly changed the whole Pine phone platform, and everybody Now gets a "hotter" phone.
     The 1.2a main board update is just an evolution to correct some shortcomings not foreseen.

The Convergence Package Upgrade is an " OPTION "

Someone Please correct me if I have got this wrong.

BC
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(07-18-2020, 01:48 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 12:13 PM)blackfire Wrote: so like many others I purchased the ubuntu touch CE version of the phone when it was released. i like it but i was quite interested into the convergence aspect. I understand that to do that you can remove some chips from the board but I don't want to risk breaking something else.

Slight differences :

The Standard  New PMOS Community Edition phone still has the 2gb of ram and 16gb eMMC,  just a 'updated'  main board  1.2a

The Convergence Package is an  'upgrade'  with the 3gb of ram and 32gb eMMC. 

>      The Convergence Package Does Cost More   " $ "   as it is expected to DO MORE.

So it is not like they suddenly changed the whole Pine phone platform, and everybody Now gets a "hotter" phone.
     The 1.2a main board update is just an evolution to correct some shortcomings not foreseen.

The Convergence Package Upgrade is an " OPTION "

Someone Please correct me if I have got this wrong.

BC

yeah i get that its an upgraded package and thats fine paying for the board is not a problem I would just like to know if there is a plan to release it for people who have already purchased a pinephone and want that upgrade. they dongle could be purchased along side it.
I think they probably will at some point in the future, currently I only see a Brave Heart main board offered in the Pine store.

Since I already own a Brave Heart, I was looking to purchase a newer 1.2 or 1.2a main board for my phone.

Instead I just went ahead and purchased the new Convergence Package Edition.

Yeah, a little frustrating, but it is understandable. I am glad to see they are offering these.

BC
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

This might be useful to you (the last 2 sentences quoted)
https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/15/july-u...e-version/
"...[A] design flaw in PCBA rev. 1.1 and 1.2 prevents [USB-C functions] (please see relevant documentation related to CC pin) on Braveheart and UBports CE phones. This issue was originally identified, and the fix for it was found, by Ondřej (megi) Jirman. His work on the  anx7688 makes USB-C features, such as PD charging, video output or other functions of the docking station work. Thankfully the fix to the problem – the removal of two small components from the PCBA – is relatively simple to perform for someone with good soldering skills. At the same time I recognize that many community members, myself included, are not capable of completing this operation. To this end, we will set up a chain of local (in your geographic area) workshops, makerspaces or individual technicians capable of performing this fix, so you can send your 1.1 / 1.2 phone to them to complete the repair."

Sounds like people will be able to get their boards fixed, although that won't give you the 3gb ram and increased storage.

The PinePhone CE edition mainboard will be released as spare part once the software getting more mature and tested. Probably late Q4 or early 2021.
Thank you TLlim,

That is useful to know,    also this will give Pine a chance to make other revisions if more are discovered  to be needed.
More recently it was announced the 1.2a Pine phone replacement mainboard will be in the store in November !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Update :

Pine 64 is offering Brave Heart and UBPorts owners an exclusive,  buy the newest 1.2b mainboard

for $79.99 and receive the upgraded 3gb ram and 32gb eMMC Mainboard.

You must include your original purchase receipt number, or your order will be rejected.

Now through December 31, or supplies are depleted.

Others will be able to purchase for full price.

Big Grin
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Selling Spare Pinephone Motherboard (2GB) PixelPaintbrush 0 1,195 02-22-2021, 06:18 PM
Last Post: PixelPaintbrush
  Are PinePhones Becoming More Usable On Each Release . . . NobodyNew1 42 47,139 11-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Last Post: aritual
  Release: PinePhone model file (Blender) fxc 0 1,939 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: fxc